Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

I think this is what you are referring to?
It is.
I'll be surprised if Apple sends me $65 but I'll take it. :)
Why would you be surprised if you participated in the class? Do you think there's still a chance that Apple will wiggle out of it?
I understand people will want to believe rumors that support their wish list from some unknown or even known "trusted source" But I will always consider these rumors as possibility but not probable until officially announced.
Some of these rumor mongers have a pretty successful track record. They're not always right but more than a few have been right more than they have been wrong. If Apple has gone to the trouble of enabling MFi, you can pretty much bet that they intend to make use of it.

Do you think there's still a chance that Apple will wiggle out of it?
Have no idea. Didn't follow the suit. But actually, there are quite a few suits against Apple for all sorts of similar complaints. Deep pockets are big targets.
You recall I only had one complaint about Apple and that was how difficult they made it to cancel unneeded Apple Care+ AC+, IMO, is a ripoff but I'm sure some see value in it.

Some of these rumor mongers have a pretty successful track record. They're not always right but more than a few have been right more than they have been wrong. If Apple has gone to the trouble of enabling MFi, you can pretty much bet that they intend to make use of it.
I do pay attention to some of the rumors, those where the source comes from someone working for a contractor who is developing the product but many are in violation of NDA too.

The issue with MFi is that while Apple does overcharge for their cables, they also license 3rd party to make MFi cables as well and these are often superior in durability from those skinny Apple white cables. All my MFi cables here are el cheapo MFi certified from Amazon. They work just fine. The only Apple cables I have are those that came with the iphones.

While the claim that there is reduced charging speed has been levied, I find it not true. You just need to change a setting in the menu for full speed depending on the size power source. But it can make the iphone very hot.

The data transfer rate limitation is something I haven't looked into yet. Tomorrow I plan to test the iMAC Thunderbolt 3 ( 40GBs) to a USB C 3.2 connection to an M.2 stick that I know is amazing speed on my windows cloning setup. I'll let you know how that works out. The new Crucial m.2 should arrive by Amazon today.

Deep pockets are big targets.
Lawsuits wouldn't survive appeal if there weren't something sinister going on. Deep pockets are supposed to protect you from that kind of stuff.
While the claim that there is reduced charging speed has been levied, I find it not true. You just need to change a setting in the menu for full speed depending on the size power source. But it can make the iphone very hot.
You're not dealing with a USB C outfitted iPhone. Your experience isn't representative.
Tomorrow I plan to test the iMAC Thunderbolt 3 ( 40GBs) to a USB C 3.2 connection to an M.2 stick that I know is amazing speed on my windows cloning setup.
What are the transition steps to get from T3 to M.2 in your experiment? M.2 (either NVME or M.2 SATA) is interfaced via something other than USB so there must be some additional interfacing in there (possibly included in the SSD itself) to get from USB to the SSD.

You're not dealing with a USB C outfitted iPhone. Your experience isn't representative.
It's relative for my need and whether the iMAC requires some MFi certified USB C cable. But if we're limiting the discussion to iphone 15 Pro that isn't out yet then it's just a FUD topic because there is no evidence of anything you can prove is in play for the iphone 15 Pro series. Let's revisit this after the ip[hone 15 Pros are out. OK?

What are the transition steps to get from T3 to M.2 in your experiment?
  1. Put an NVME M.2 stick in the USB C 3.2 Holder.
  2. Plug the Holder into the T 3 port on the iMAC
  3. I may need to format the M.2 for it to be recognized as I did in the Dell win 11 computer.
  4. Then enter TimeMachine app all and set the M.2 drive as the destination for the backup.
There are a number of different holders but I found one that is specked at USB 3.2 and comes with a USB C to USB C short cable.

There may be faster holders but this one is cheap but limits the speed to 10GBS. Still much faster than regular USB or what I experienced with my ethernet NAS.

Here's one rated for 40GPS but more money than what I want to spend for an iMAC backup.
Amazon product ASIN B0B14P37WG
View: https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Enclosure-Compatible-Thunderbolt-C-M208-Gray/dp/B0B14P37WG/ref=sxbs_sbv_search_btf?content-id=amzn1.sym.563f7ac3-7aa9-48e0-841e-f45bb2322eae%3Aamzn1.sym.563f7ac3-7aa9-48e0-841e-f45bb2322eae&crid=33PUN3OCMKGNN&cv_ct_cx=SSK%2BAluminum%2BM.2%2BNVME%2BSATA%2BSSD%2BEnclosure%2BAdapter%2Bfor%2BThunderbolt%2Bspeed&keywords=SSK%2BAluminum%2BM.2%2BNVME%2BSATA%2BSSD%2BEnclosure%2BAdapter%2Bfor%2BThunderbolt%2Bspeed&pd_rd_i=B0B14P37WG&pd_rd_r=da013d6f-300f-4191-a0db-81478a4cd1b4&pd_rd_w=pEgZh&pd_rd_wg=MBvLm&pf_rd_p=563f7ac3-7aa9-48e0-841e-f45bb2322eae&pf_rd_r=M0E3PG6XPVS7Q3HW3CMQ&qid=1692292168&s=electronics&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=ssk%2Baluminum%2Bm.2%2Bnvme%2Bsata%2Bssd%2Benclosure%2Badapter%2Bfor%2Bthunderbolt%2Bspeed%2Celectronics%2C195&sr=1-25-48f7baba-8e26-45f3-8811-e1a601ad20bf&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&th=1

Harshness-

The new Crucial M.2 just arrived. Took a few minutes to install it on the iMAC and then set it up for TimeMachine backup of the entire internal drive. I set the backup to encrypt the files with PW protection The initial speed is much faster than the ethernet backup but nowhere near 20GB a second. Looks to be about 18GB a minute. Not sure if unencrypted is faster but this is the way I did the NAS so speed-wise it will be a good improvement.

Later I may test simple file transfer to see what that speed is compared to encrypted backup operation. I'll have to put a large video file on the iMac to see that as all the files my wife as are small excel SS.

BTW- the m.2 stick is rated at 3500MBs read.

Last edited:
But if we're limiting the discussion to iphone 15 Pro that isn't out yet then it's just a FUD topic because there is no evidence of anything you can prove is in play for the iphone 15 Pro series.
It isn't FUD. It is reasoned speculation based on a fairly reliable source and along with how other Apple devices with USB C ports have been mis-treated.

It isn't FUD. It is reasoned speculation based on a fairly reliable source and along with how other Apple devices with USB C ports have been mis-treated.
You have a habit of claiming certainty based on rumors and speculation. I suggest you just treat these all as possibilities of what might happen. Maybe you have no doubt that rumors are true and have no fear the possibility you are wrong. But the way I see it there are many rumors even from people you may trust, but until we see the actual evidence, rumors are just that, speculation.

Meanwhile, the whole debate over whether Apple will offer USB C 3.2 speeds is of minor importance in my decision to upgrade to the iphone 15. I am hoping for the new camera features and longer lasting battery of the Pro Max as well as the rumored price point for the 256GB model.

Anyway- I completed the actual test run and the T3 to M.2 with USB connection took 112 minutes to backup 310GB. I was wondering why so much slower than the win 11, but then I recalled that the iMac used an old style 1 TB hard drive while the Dell has its OS on a 500GB M.2 NVME stick mounted on the MB. So it appears the source drive is the weak link in the transfer on my 2017 vintage iMAC.

Reactions: Foxbat
I set the backup to encrypt the files with PW protection
This is fairly certain to slow things down. Are you deeply concerned that someone is going to clone your iMac?
Looks to be about 18GB a minute.
18GB/minute works out to a little less than 2.5GBps which is around half what one might expect of USB C 3.2 Gen 1 (5Gbps). Chances are pretty good that it is maxing out your SSD since writes are typically slower.
You have a habit of claiming certainty based on rumors and speculation.
I'm not claiming certainty. I'm connecting the dots and placing a relatively high likelihood on what Apple may do to drive people to choose the Pro models over the more pedestrian models.

I'm not claiming certainty.
OK then you just feel it is high probability Apple will cripple the speed of the standard iphone 15 to push the pro models. Based on rumors, there are other parts of the pro versions that will be speed boosters as well so making the claim that MFI or USB C throttle is causing a slower iphone than the pro version will be difficult to prove. The way I see it, people will gravitate to the Pro version when they desire what the Pro version offers, not so much the speed of the USB C port but the other features including larger screen size, camera features and battery size at the top of my list.

On topic?

I plan to upgrade to iPhone 15 as my iPhone 12's battery is just about done and I use my cell for work several hours a day. Maybe somewhere someone has had a successful battery replacement for an iPhone, but no one I know has. So I'll sell the old one to the highest bidder rather than replacing the battery. All the while clenching my teeth because the rest of the hardware is pristine and it's not even that slow.

Which iPhone 15? Good question. That depends on the real size of the camera bump. Good lordy, the cameras on the iPhone 14 Pro are obscene. Supposedly 15 could adopt "periscope" lenses which will help with that.

Maybe somewhere someone has had a successful battery replacement for an iPhone, but no one I know has.
I, too am seeing shorter battery on my iphone 11 Pro Max but since I don't use it much except for quick photos and short video, I could deal with needing to put it on the charger every night. The Battery health shows 80% of new so that isn't that bad. I really want the new rumored camera.

As for putting in a new battery, I was about to do that and even bought one for the job. I've replaced one in my iphone 6 and have all the tools. However Apple did something Harshness will enjoy hearing. They made the batteries for iphone X + "smart" batteries that have a chip in them that ties the battery to the main board so swapping out the battery alone won't work. There was one YT video showing how to extract the tiny chip from the old battery and spot weld it into the new battery cells, like I bought. I believe you also need a programmer to put the code back on the chip. But it is a tedious process and I don't have one of those micro spot welders and the programmer was a hundred $. One false move and you blow the chip. Therefore I decided to just live with 80% until the 15 Pro Max is out.

Apple will replace an iPhone 12 battery for $89. Are they not successful with this service?
I did apple’s service with my iPhone 6. It was ultimately successful in that they gave me another phone to replace the first, but the original phone was never right after the repair.

Just one data point, I suppose.

Reactions: rvvaquero
Apple will replace an iPhone 12 battery for $89. Are they not successful with this service?
Apple has the battery with the programmable chip and that equipment to program the chip to your phone.

BTW- I was working on a custom unrelated project and bought a small LIPO battery for it and discovered it had some of these chips built in that I removed to get direct access to the + and - connections.

Nah. Apple on this site is like talking about iks. Piracy. It's your purchased product. Yet you cannot perform working repairs. Serialized batteries, displays, accelerometers, gyros. And now serialized and soldered in storage. Support Right to Repair. Support the guys who do support it. And perform repairs that Apple would condemn your device to sell you a new one.

iFixit.com is where I ago to look at the Tear-Down guides and videos for my equipment. If something looks like a repair I feel comfortable with doing, I will get the parts and follow their instructions. When Apple changed to sealing the displays to the frame with adhesive tape for IP56+ dust and moisture resistance, I decided that was where I said “I’ll pay Apple the $89” for an iPhone battery replacement.

I had replaced the screen and battery on Foxbat, Jr.’s iPhone 5 which was a piece of cake compared to what it would have been on my iPhone 8. I traded in the 8 and got the iPhone 13 instead. It’s a balancing act, make the battery last long enough so it isn’t a Warranty issue, but not so long that the owner isn’t going to upgrade for five years.

Reactions: navychop
iFixit.com is where I ago to look at the Tear-Down guides and videos for my equipment. If something looks like a repair I feel comfortable with doing, I will get the parts and follow their instructions. When Apple changed to sealing the displays to the frame with adhesive tape for IP56+ dust and moisture resistance, I decided that was where I said “I’ll pay Apple the $89” for an iPhone battery replacement.

I had replaced the screen and battery on Foxbat, Jr.’s iPhone 5 which was a piece of cake compared to what it would have been on my iPhone 8. I traded in the 8 and got the iPhone 13 instead. It’s a balancing act, make the battery last long enough so it isn’t a Warranty issue, but not so long that the owner isn’t going to upgrade for five years.
I've done ipad repairs with that sealed screen and it is not difficult with the iOpener you heat up in the microwave. Then there is the pliers with suction cups to separate the screen from the frame. It's a slow process. I'm careful with my stuff but the grandkids seem to have all the problems with breaking them.
However the cost of tools to replace a battery now is just not worth it.

Anyway, we stopped in at Apple store yesterday and did a second look at the fit of the Ultra Apple watch. Definitely waiting for the new stuff in September. But I'm now convinced that the size of the Ultra will not be difficult getting used to. My series 6 watch battery is actually worse than my iphone I need to put it on the charger after only 8 hours. Pretty bad since it is only 3 years old. My original AW lasted much longer but didn't do nearly as much. The big drainers are Tesla app to monitor and control 2 cars, followed by the constant health and fitness monitoring.

Apple will give me $115 on trade now and $300 on the iphone but not sure what that will drop to when the new stuff comes out.

Reactions: Foxbat