Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

And another rumor roundup:
Not much new there outside of the speculation about previous generation iPhone models being outfitted with USB C. I imagine that Apple just won't sell old models in the EU as it would likely represent a very costly redesign to replace the Lightning port with a USB-C form factor.

IMG_1843.jpeg

While still rumor more info has come out now on the iPhone 15 series. Part of the suspicion about the USB C port is being confirmed now by leaks from manufacturers.

The standard iphone series will have a USB C port but will run at speeds no faster than the Apple Lightning, but just use a USB C cable. The Pro and Pro Max series will use Thunderbolt port but to achieve Thunderbolt speed will require a proprietary cable not supplied but sold extra for a $100+ price. Otherwise USB 3.2 speeds will be the limit.

None of this is a game changer for me but thought I would just add that the earlier suspicions may be true that Apple plans to dumb down the connections

Next week we'll know for certain.

Reactions: navychop
I'm due for an upgrade this year for sure, I'm just not sure what model I'll go for yet. It all depends on how much the Pro Max has to offer versus the price difference. I've kept my iPhone 6S Plus longer than I've ever had a cell phone, but it is definitely showing it's age now. I held off last year once the European Union issued their USB-C mandate because I figured Apple would boot lighting this year and I didn't want to pick up one of the 14 models for a year and be stuck with lightning cables again for another 5-6 years or more.

At this point I'm mainly interested in screen size, so my primary decision will be whether to settle for the "Plus" model or go all the way for the Pro Max (or whatever they decide to call it). To me no sense in considering the "Pro". If I'm going to spend more than the Plus I might as well just go for the top of the line since now I tend to keep devices 5-6 years (or more).

but to achieve Thunderbolt speed will require a proprietary cable not supplied but sold extra for a $100+ price.

Thank you, Apple! You may have convinced me to hold off another year or to not buy the advanced versions.

Thank you, Apple! You may have convinced me to hold off another year or to not buy the advanced versions.
Yet in my testing I'm not sure how to even achieve the Thunderbolt speed from those connections. What do you do that needs that speed from an iphone and what equipment would you use to achieve that speed?

Most people would use the wired connection on the iphone to get a faster charge rate than the wireless charging. Also, today, most people use the automatic icloud service for iphone backups and photos so they are available immediately on other devices. If I take a picture (not video) with my iphone in a few seconds it is ready to see on my PC just by logging into the icloud account. easy-peasy.

Now for those who wish to shoot those HDR 4K videos and need to transfer them to their computer for editing with Final Cut or Adobe Premiere pro. then moving 30GB of raw video to the PC would benefit from a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt connection. Are you planning to edit YT videos in HDR ? I do post videos on YT and don't see the need for that speed. There are many better reasons for me to upgrade to the 15 Pro Max but I doubt I'll be buying that special cable.

Nothing whatsoever.

Remember what happens to people who speak the truth!

;)
Then it should not be any reason to avoid the upgrade or to feel the need to pay that ridiculous price for a cable if the rumors are true. Final decisions wait for official features after September 12th.

"Remember what happens to people who speak the truth!" We get censored if it contradicts authority.

It’s a new battery for my XS Max, or a new phone. Not seeing much to entice me. Reception not likely to get better. Current cameras already More Than Good Enough for me. Not seeing any health apps, with or without an Apple Watch, that I find alluring.

POSSIBLY I would consider a combination buy IF I became convinced I’d take my BP more often. But it’s still a cuff you have to put on. So it just reduces paperwork.

It’s a new battery for my XS Max,
Battery for a Model X is a waste because the planned obsolescence. My grandson, age 13, just got a new 14 from a X Pro. He is involved with so many activities at school that his parents need to keep connected to know when and where to pick him up. He travels all over N FL on his baseball league.

For us it's time to be ready to use 5G. My wife has it on her 12 mini and it is now better than my 11Pro Max with only LTE.
My battery isn't too bad because I don't use it for communication anymore with the Apple watch. I do all phone calls and texting with the watch. I also use the watch with a Tesla app to do everything on the Tesla including battery charge monitor. The only reason I still carry the iphone is for the camera. But if I could get used to my Apple watch camera band I would use that instead. It has twin cameras that BT connect to the watch. One camera is for selfie but unfortunately does not offer facetime so that is a disappointment.

Now speaking of the Apple watch, you mentioned being able to read. I only wear reading prescription glasses now but I still can read the Apple watch without them. There is a way to make the fonts larger on the newest Apple watch software so I use that. You need to test them to see if you can read/focus the text. Apple stores let you try them on. Check out the Ultra as it has the largest screen. That's what I plan to upgrade to

• Sad
Regarding Blood Pressure:

Neither Apple devices do BP as you know and I suspect it will be a long time before they develop that for reliable readings. It will do Blood Oxygen, heart rate, single lead EKG, a relaxation stress reducer. I created a watch face with these all in one place for quick access, like a folder on the iphone. They are working on a Blood glucose monitor that dies not require real blood sample. Estimates are about two years away.

I currently use a Qardio wireless cuff that BT connects to my iphone. This records the data to the iphone and can be set to alert your doctor if you want. My wife suffers from hypertension but she is now following my suggested supplements for weight loss and is almost normal BP now. She uses the Qardio BP daily. 135/80. I have the opposite problem with low BP. 110 / 70 so I usually record it once a week.

Battery for a Model X is a waste because the planned obsolescence.

I’ve read that Apple support for this model ends in 2025. I gather you are saying other apps etc are already dropping or lessening support for the model. :(

A new iPhone (& maybe Apple Watch) will take money I could throw at TSLA!

Did you ever reconcile your 40Gbps issue with the 4GBps issue that I raised?
I think so after I discovered my iMAC only has the slower hard drive to deliver the files. I'm not doing a scientific laboratory study on it. My original goal was to use a backup process and hardware that was much faster than the ethernet NAS Raid I used to use. The cost to add the NVME M.2 stick plugged into the thunderbolt port is not as fast as on my Dell PC where it has a source on an M.2 NVME and USB 3.2 port but it is now fast enough to satisfy. Both systems are now running backups every week and not interrupting the user. Moving on...

The NAS Raid box with 2 2TB hard drives is still on my ethernet but I'm not sure I find it useful anymore. Open to suggestions before I pull it and junk it.

I’ve read that Apple support for this model ends in 2025. I gather you are saying other apps etc are already dropping or lessening support for the model. :(

A new iPhone (& maybe Apple Watch) will take money I could throw at TSLA!
Right, I was thinking of the X, not the XS. You have another year if the battery doesn't annoy you.

I understand. You need to have more compelling reasons to upgrade apparently.

Besides, I will probably make the watch and iphone purchase on the Apple card and take the 3% discount. That way I can pay it off when the stocks peak or flatten anytime over the next 2 years. It will be nice to do a reset of both heavily used devices and be good for 4-5 years. I would only trade in the Ultra 2 if Apple adds a watch camera next for Facetime. Don't need any more health monitoring.

I'm in a different position on Tesla investments. If I buy Tesla I have to sell something else to raise the cash. I can't contribute to my IRA's anymore. I base which to buy and which to sell on what the probability of which stock in my portfolio will increase or decease over the short term. I recently sold some Apple in my Roth account to buy Tesla when Apple was punching up around high 190's. Used that cash to nibble at Tesla on bottoms. Now I have 85% in Tesla so I'm done with Tesla. I'll start selling Tesla when it gets above $300 to buy something else that is poised to go up. You see, my current average price for Tesla investment is $87.

I think so after I discovered my iMAC only has the slower hard drive to deliver the files.
My point was that you thought you were being shorted on performance because you had misidentified the units of measure on your transfer rates. 4GBps is rather close to 40Gbps in terms of speed and perhaps what you should expect in real-world performance.

• Angry
Reactions: TheForce