ANALOG DISH SET-UP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

elam budmore

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
sheboygan falls wi
I just picked up a free cband set up 7 1/2 foot mesh dish. Im to the point of having it set on the pole, the satellite i need to locate first (amc3- W3) does not look to have any analog channels. does that sound correct? That being the case, is there a way to locate that satellite with a analog reciever? The location i got this dish setup from was about 4 miles(as the crow flys) from my location that im setting it up, so its my hope that aside from some minor fine tuning , all the old angles and such should be about the same? any feelings on this? What should my next step/steps be?
thanks

Dr. Gene Scott has an analog channel on amc-3 c-band.
Don't worry too much about analog....It's almost gone.
Get a FTA receiver and slave it to your analog receiver by splitting the coax from the lnb with a power passing two way splitter.

Use your analog receiver to move the dish and choose the polarity H or V.
There are still some feeds on G-3, G16, G25 late at night on analog.

Dr. Scott is on W3 20 analog (just swung the 7.5ft/DSR-920 over there to check!):) It's actually pastor Melissa Scott right now. She's way easier on the eyes than ol' Gene!:eek:

as noted not much on analog anymore

87 as Doc Scott
99 has World Harvest
then you go all the way to 125 for 4 channels

check lyngsat for the analog channels...135,133,131 has a few still

THANKS ALL!
right now i just want to find some satellites, find some analog channels, so that i can make sure all the equipment is in working order, . i also have a 920 reciever off of ebay, but i was having all kinds of problems trying to find anything on that, from what i hear, i need to subscribe to some sort of programing to free up the few analog channels still out there, but i need to get to satellite G1 to be able to take a "hit" or what ever, but trying to find a satellite with the didgital recieverl seems to be next to impossable, so finding the right channel on G1 has been tough! i did have the arts channel for a bit, so i know at one point i had the G1 feed, but the next day it was gone and i havent been able to find it since...THE ARTS CHANNEL IS STILL OUT THERE...??? RIGHT? .. Iguess at this point im gonna be looking for DR SCOTT and go from there. will the 920 reciever work as a FTA reciever? what might i expect to find on there as far as programming?

The 920 or any other digicipher 2 box will not work as a fta receiver. I know some 4dtv boxes have "mpeg-2" stamped on them but it is not the same as standard mpeg-2 dvb. Honestly any 4dtv box is really only good for subscription tv from a provider. There may be a handful of channels that are DC-2 free but not many and certainly not worth spending money on for just the few freebies - Unless of course you got a great deal on it.

You need a true FTA receiver to enjoy all the stuff you are missing right now.
Most standard definition FTA receivers are just over 100.00 dollars.

HD FTA receivers (If you have an HD tv.) start at around 400.00 or slightly less.
Be sure whatever box you get has "blind scan" or "smart search". So you don't have to manually enter transponder data.

Get one that will automatically scan in the tp's and channels. You will be a lot happier being able to scan what's up there.
Just to name a couple that I have had - I am not pushing the brands or promoting by any means but I have had good luck with Fortec Star Ultra Lifetime, Pansat 2700,
Pansat 9200 HD (the 9200 HD has some bugs but it still is worth it for the HD reception, plus it has a terrestrial tuner for your local digital tv stations using an outdoor antenna).

What should my next step/steps be?

Be sure your pole is plumb, and level on top-the polar mount cap has to sit level on the pole or it won't ever track the KU sats properly. I had a problem with one pole I had put a ku dish on, it wouldn't track ku right for anything, pole was perfectly plumb. Got an idea to check the top of the pole for level, took off the dish and mount one day. One side of the pipe was 1/4" higher than the rest. After some grinding, and further checking, I glued two pennies to low spots, put the mount/dish back on, and it now works fine. KU is tedious, lol, and ku digital even more so.

Thanks turbostat, i know my pole is plumb, that i checked over the weekend..(again) i had the dish and mount down , but never checked if the top was level. my whole system was functional untill about 4 years ago when i took a lightining strike, and i never got around to fixing it, and now with trying to get it up and running, i feel like a dumb a** cause i used to know all this stuff!although i never had ku... is that what im gonna need for FTA?

C-band setup.

THANKS ALL!
right now i just want to find some satellites, find some analog channels, so that i can make sure all the equipment is in working order, . i also have a 920 reciever off of ebay, but i was having all kinds of problems trying to find anything on that, from what i hear, i need to subscribe to some sort of programing to free up the few analog channels still out there, but i need to get to satellite G1 to be able to take a "hit" or what ever, but trying to find a satellite with the didgital recieverl seems to be next to impossable, so finding the right channel on G1 has been tough! i did have the arts channel for a bit, so i know at one point i had the G1 feed, but the next day it was gone and i havent been able to find it since...THE ARTS CHANNEL IS STILL OUT THERE...??? RIGHT? .. Iguess at this point im gonna be looking for DR SCOTT and go from there. will the 920 reciever work as a FTA reciever? what might i expect to find on there as far as programming?

Hello, i bought a dsr 922 off of ebay about a month ago and found the easy was to use the internet if you have internet availible, as far as satellite maps i was told the programming- center.net has the most up to date c-band chart it's the one i used and started with W3 channel 20 and then worked my way west till i had them progammed in all the way to W5, as far as the western satellite's i started with G1 channel 5 and then C4 and then worked my way east then, but in my case i cannot get G9 or G5 because of two pine tree's blocking the signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts