Analog Ku reception

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darvocet

Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Columbia, KY USA
Hi folks! I'm somewhat new to FTA (DVB and C/Ku), although I think I understand the basics pretty well.
Here's my question: I bought a Uniden UST 4600 C/Ku receiver and I plan on picking up an old Primestar dish, in order to receive analog FTA. Although I'm 99% sure this will work, I just wanted to be sure before I start installing dishes (I live in an apartment :( ). Also, any advice anyone has please pass it on.
I've been reading satelliteguys for a while.....thanks to everyone who makes this site possible!

Justin

Hello and WELCOME to the Satellite Guys.US FTA Forum :welcome

Not familiar with that particular receiver but I am sure someone is! So its an analog receiver, if that is the case you will want to get a DVB receiver slaved to it sometime in the future.

The Primestar dish should work well with at most an upgraded LNB required down the road but you current LNBF will work for KU FTA satellite.

Your main concern may be the line of sight to the satellites!

Nice to have you here!

I have every intention of getting a DVB receiver in the very near future. I've looked at the $49.99 Viacasts on ebay, but since they have no blind search and such a small channel capacity, I'm thinking I'll wait until I have the cash for a Coolsat 4000....although the Viacast would probably be ok for a fixed satellite....like G10R :)

Thanks for the advice!

The Viacast works great for a single satellite (like G10 or IA5)

but there are limitations...read the review I did on this unit a while back :)

Thanks, I'll go read that review.
I may end up getting the Viacast and point it at G10R so I can drop my cable sub.
But I'm still going to get a Coolsat 4000, because (at least to me) most of the fun of this hobbie comes from looking for feeds and finding new stuff.

darvocet said:
Thanks, I'll go read that review.
I may end up getting the Viacast and point it at G10R so I can drop my cable sub.
Dont get me wrong..the viacast is a great second receiver :)
It just has limitations

But I'm still going to get a Coolsat 4000, because (at least to me) most of the fun of this hobbie comes from looking for feeds and finding new stuff.
best part of this addiction (I mean hobby)....finding the new stuff

When I look at Lyngsat, and I see a feed marked as NTSC with no sr, I'm assuming that's an analog feed. Is that correct? How do you program that into the vistar2000? Do you just put 0 for the sr? This becomes much more important as I consider trying to pick up SBS6.

if its NTSC and no sr, it is analog

you can't put that into a digital receiver...you need an analog receiver (the old C/Ku receivers on Ebay work the best) :D

ebay is a great place to find old receivers. I actually got my Uniden (with UHF remote) at the local flea market for $20.00, which was less than shipping for an ebay item would have cost......but it's one of the very few old C/Ku receivers I've seen at flea markets around here. I wonder whats happening to all the old receivers? It seems like no one uses them much anymore. I've talked to a couple people who PAYED someone to cart off the're BUD and equitment! :(

How much more programming can be picked up with an analog receiver? I'm especially interested in sports.

In a few weeks there will be more sports than any one person can watch!!!!!!!!!!!

bincitybandit said:
How much more programming can be picked up with an analog receiver? I'm especially interested in sports.

thats the main reason to get one!

Lots of sports on weekends :)

Iceberg said:
thats the main reason to get one!

Lots of sports on weekends :)

whoooooooaaa whoaaaaa...

what are you saying? That if i get an analog receiver i will somehow get a lot of sports?

What kind of sports, and what size dish and what LNB??

satellite_girl said:
what are you saying? That if i get an analog receiver i will somehow get a lot of sports?

lets see...."Lots of sports on weekends "
yep, I said that..lots of college stuff

What kind of sports, and what size dish and what LNB??
30" dish and KU band LNB

lots of college football, basketball, & hockey
Some is small colleges but there are still lots of bigger college games out there

I love it for the hockey :)

Most important game of the year will be on this weekend...

Clemson vs. Miami @ Death Valley

GO TIGERS!!!

Iceberg said:
lets see...."Lots of sports on weekends "
yep, I said that..lots of college stuff

30" dish and KU band LNB

lots of college football, basketball, & hockey
Some is small colleges but there are still lots of bigger college games out there

I love it for the hockey :)

Okay thanks! i am on it!

I had an analog receiver but i tried to slave it to a fortec and i fried them both.... so i never got the see the results. I will get another one and get on this little project right away!! moooohahahahahhahahah

not good that you fried both

You might want to get a DC block (available at Radio Shack) and put that on the line going tfrom the Fortec to the analog...that'll stop any back voltage from the analog

What does "slave" the two receivers together mean? Just hooking the F connectors together with coax? What is the benefit of this?

Just means connecting both receivers with a small RG6 cable, then for example both satellites will be looking at the same satellite, one looking for digital signals and the other linear. The first in line is the master the other the slave, so the slave is always stuck on the same polarity as the master.

Status
Please reply by conversation.