analog or digital

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markdauvid

Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
Winter Springs, Fl
i bought myself a 20in rca stereo digital tv. the remote has a digital analog switch. directv advertises all digital channels so maybe someone can explain why my tv is set to analog which means for me well all of my special features only work in digital mode. so maybe someone can explain how a digital channel can be a digital channel if it only works in analog mode. directv had no clue what i was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a nutshell, DirecTV delivers the channels digitally. The DirecTV receiver then converts the signal to analog for your TV if you use the composite or component inputs. The HDMI is all digital.

Please supply the model number of your TV. Then we may know a little more about what this digital analog switch is used for.

analog digital.

In a nutshell, DirecTV delivers the channels digitally. The DirecTV receiver then converts the signal to analog for your TV if you use the composite or component inputs. The HDMI is all digital.

Please supply the model number of your TV. Then we may know a little more about what this digital analog switch is used for.

the box is hooked to the tv using standard cable.

That will give you the worst possible picture quality.

What receiver do you have?
it is a directv dvr plus and as far as picture quality it is good enough for me. from what i have been told my box is what is sending me an analog signal. i can believe that and i can understand why directv got stupid on me. it would mean they would have to replace the box.

it is a directv dvr plus and as far as picture quality it is good enough for me. from what i have been told my box is what is sending me an analog signal. i can believe that and i can understand why directv got stupid on me. it would mean they would have to replace the box.

Since that is a standard definition (SD) box, it is intended for use with an analog television and it converts Directv's programming from digital to analog. HD receivers also have higher resolution digital (HDMI) and analog (component) outputs for use with HD sets.

There are three types of output connections:

1. S-video (best quality)
2. Composite (yellow RCA jack), nearly as good
These use RCA connections (red/white jacks) to audio input of TV. On DVRs there is also an optical digital audio (TOSLINK) output for use with A/V receivers which supports Dolby Digital 5.1 for that programming which is suitably encoded (only a few premium channels for SD).

3.RF (F-connector, coax to TV's antenna input) lowest quality.

For the best picture, you should use a S-video or composite connection if your TV has a suitable input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)