Analog Receiver Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satcustomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
California
Slaved an analog receiver (NextWave NCC 500) to my Fortec Mercury II receiver and have some questions:

1. Is it really necessary to program ALL the satellites into the analog receiver?

2. If I find a feed (say, theoretically, it's on AMC2, Tr 6, Horizontal) does the analog receiver need to be on AMC2 or can it be on any satellite so long as the polarity is Horizontal?

3. Is the picture quality expected to be very grainy or snowy?

4. How do I program the frequency or is this irrelevant using an analog receiver?

Slaved an analog receiver (NextWave NCC 500) to my Fortec Mercury II receiver and have some questions:

1. Is it really necessary to program ALL the satellites into the analog receiver?
heck no. I use 2
SBS6 for SBS6 (duh!)
Galaxy 7 for the rest

2. If I find a feed (say, theoretically, it's on AMC2, Tr 6, Horizontal) does the analog receiver need to be on AMC2 or can it be on any satellite so long as the polarity is Horizontal?
any satellite is fine. Since its slaved, the polarity is irrelevant. The DVB box controls it

3. Is the picture quality expected to be very grainy or snowy?
depends on the signal and puicture. You ight see "sparklies" which can be normal if the sat power is low

4. How do I program the frequency or is this irrelevant using an analog receiver?

thats what needs to be right. Other than SBS6, most go in 20k steps

channel 1 & 2 are the same frequency (11720) and they go in 20k steps
2 11740
3 11760
4 11780
5 11800
etc

19 12080
20 12100
21 12120
22 12140
23 12160
24 12180

SBS6 is the oddball and doesnt go by that...they also only have 19 TP's

thats what needs to be right. Other than SBS6, most go in 20k steps

channel 1 & 2 are the same frequency (11720) and they go in 20k steps
2 11740
3 11760
4 11780
5 11800
etc

19 12080
20 12100
21 12120
22 12140
23 12160
24 12180

SBS6 is the oddball and doesnt go by that...they also only have 19 TP's

Great info, I was scanning all sats with the SBS 6 preset , now I know why I could not get certain feeds, and your frequency explanation helps alot.

I know SBS 6 is @ 74W, but what is the location of Galaxy 7??

Irrlevant...it was one satellite that
A. had the frequencies already in there properly
B. at the time when AMC9 was at 85W and had alot of analog feeds on it, the polarity matched up (now replaced by AMC2 and AMC9 moved to 83 and switched polarities)

so it worked :)

Most of the satellites listed are for the old C-Band dish that was moved by said reciever. Now that its slaved, the DVB box controls polarity so you could pick any satellite on the list. As long as the frequencies matched thats all you need

With the exception of SBS6, do all of the KU-band birds have 24 transponders? And they'll all have the same frequencies for each transponder like you said above?

yes

I know G11 is off a little (like 12003 instead of 12000) but that little wont make much of a difference

Okay, I think I've got it. So if the analog feed's on AMC2, vertical polarity, I need to put my DVB receiver on AMC2 and a channel with vertical polarity and then tune the analog receiver to any ku-band bird with a transponder with vertical polarity and cooresponding frequency?

I'm trying to pick up the test channel of 24/7 color bars on AMC2, 12180/H, Transponder 24, but I can't get a clear picture; it looks like it's scrambled and shows up on a transponder with VERTICAL polarity. The DVB receiver's on AMC2 and the analog box is on a ku-band channel. I've flipped thru all 32 transponders.

*Still need help with this problem.

Last edited:
I'm trying to pick up the test channel of 24/7 color bars on AMC2, 12180/H, Transponder 24, but I can't get a clear picture; it looks like it's scrambled and shows up on a transponder with VERTICAL polarity. The DVB receiver's on AMC2 and the analog box is on a ku-band channel. I've flipped thru all 32 transponders.

That's funny. You purchased the exact same two receivers I did. I am waiting on delivery. I hope I can pick your brain when it comes time for me to set it all up. :D

**Still need help with this problem.

AMC2 is really bad here in MN (footprint barely gets here) but I get it on TP24 (12180) vertical polarity but its real snowy picture

In the back of the manual, it shows a list of the satellites. Today's SBS6 used to be called SBS3, I guess, according to this list. I should store this SBS3 satellite in the receiver to get the frequencies to line up correctly for today's SBS6, right? Reason I ask is because I was able to just pick up one analog feed with the new receiver with my DVB box locked on a horizontal polarity at SBS6, but was unable to get another analog horizontal feed on the same SBS6 satellite.

In the back of the manual, it shows a list of the satellites. Today's SBS6 used to be called SBS3, I guess, according to this list. I should store this SBS3 satellite in the receiver to get the frequencies to line up correctly for today's SBS6, right? Reason I ask is because I was able to just pick up one analog feed with the new receiver with my DVB box locked on a horizontal polarity at SBS6, but was unable to get another analog horizontal feed on the same SBS6 satellite.

**How 'bout some help folks? :)

checking lyngsat, SBS6 goes in 22-24.5k steps
http://www.lyngsat.com/sbs6.html

see the ones that say "NTSC"

I cant check mine right now since its unplugged, but according to Lyngsat its

5-11823
6-11848
7-11872
8-11896
9-11921

so I would just match up the frequencies and see if they match.

so it probably is
4-11799
3-11775
2-11750
1-11724

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts