Ancient sub caught in the receiver EOL lottery

Might be easier to switch to directv :)

But seriously I don't see what's so hard shipping this customer 2 replacement 311 or 211 receivers.

Why go through the hassle of trying to go to duo tuner technology

Claude, the reason the 722 is recommended to replace the pair of 301s (but not required) is that the customer can get DVR technology on two TVs for the exact same price as what they had. They can also ask to go to a pair of 211s, but they'll be the 211z, which has no built-in OTA tuner, no coax output, and cannot do interactive. And no, there will be no tech cost, and no commitment for either solution.

Claude, the reason the 722 is recommended to replace the pair of 301s (but not required) is that the customer can get DVR technology on two TVs for the exact same price as what they had. They can also ask to go to a pair of 211s, but they'll be the 211z, which has no built-in OTA tuner, no coax output, and cannot do interactive. And no, there will be no tech cost, and no commitment for either solution.

Can't the 211z do OTA with the usb dongle?

Makes sense save the $7 addl outlet fee gettibg a 722

Can't the 211z do OTA with the usb dongle?

Makes sense save the $7 addl outlet fee gettibg a 722

Yep, the 211z can use the USB dongle for OTA. Outside of that, there have been plenty of complaints from customers with really old TVs that have been migrated to 211z receivers about the lack of a coax output,and also the lack of the interactive weather channel. I think that's why the recommended solution is the 722 series. It has coax out to home distribution (TV2), and that same line out can be split to take coax to TV1 (ch 62 or 75, where TV2 is 60 or 73)

Why would anyone want a 211Z over a 211K ?

Nobody, really, but outside of a retailer or someone purchasing through a third party, Dish is generally using 211z for any 211 receiver. I know retailers can be specific on what they send out to a job (as they can check their actual inventory), but the Dish system used by the CSR has absolutely, positively no way for the agent to specify what model of 211 is sent, it is only called the 211 family. In theory (but not happening), Dish could even send one of the old, silver 211 models out.

I've dealt with a customer unhappy that their 301 was replaced with a 211z, in that they wanted the interactive weather channel. They only had a single receiver, and they were eastern arc, so no 311, a 612 or 722 would cost a DVR fee.

A lot of folks don't like the 211z, but it is the default VIP solo non-DVR sent on jobs now from Dish.

The legacy satellite receivers will be going away by mid 2015. Also, the other SD receivers such as 311, 322, 522/625 and etc. will be phased out too one year, correct? Has the manufacturing of VIP 222's been discontinued? If so, those receivers will not retire from operation anytime soon, correct?

There is some HD on 110, yes most of the HD is on 129, but if you want a taste you can get it on 110.

TheList! (top menu bar under "OUR OTHER SITES") shows (at this time, Dish does rearrange every now and then):

Do It Yourself
Cooking Channel
History 2
HMM
ESQNT
FXX
Universal HD
PIXL
Sportsman Channel
The History Channel
ESPN U
HBO (East)
SHO (East)
Starz Edge SAP
The Disney Channel
Velocity
Crime & Investigation
Velocity
ABC Family
Destination America
The Movie Channel (EAST)
Encore (East)
Starz (West)
PAC12
Business TV
There are some others on 119 also, USA and TNT come to mind.

The ViP211z MIGHT still be in manufacture. That, the HWS and Joeys are about it.

The legacy satellite receivers will be going away by mid 2015. Also, the other SD receivers such as 311, 322, 522/625 and etc. will be phased out too one year, correct? Has the manufacturing of VIP 222's been discontinued? If so, those receivers will not retire from operation anytime soon, correct?

331, 322, 522/625 receivers are 8PSK and are not in this series of receivers to be replaced, still viable, but I would recommend replacing them with a comparable ViP (MPEG4) series 211 for 311, 622/722k for 522/625. I believe the ViP222 has been discontinued, but I could be wrong.

331, 322, 522/625 receivers are 8PSK and are not in this series of receivers to be replaced, still viable, but I would recommend replacing them with a comparable ViP (MPEG4) series 211 for 311, 622/722k for 522/625. I believe the ViP222 has been discontinued, but I could be wrong.
Can you buy them from DishDepot, or retailers, or amazon and still activate the 222? Im thinking yes, since the 922 can still be activated(even with limited features), but a one time purchase on a 222 might be worth it for some, if the price is right.

I agree I highly recommend all Dish customers to upgrade to at least VIP satellite receivers that are MPEG4 compatible then they wouldn't have to worry about upgrading to MPEG4 when it's time to migrate to MPEG4.

Are VIP612 series still being manufactured?

222 has no possibility of conversion to a DVR unlike the 211 which can be converted and when replacing 2 301s, you have to rewire (run one cable from the 222 to the 2nd TV) to make it work, OTOH 1 222 is probably cheaper than 2 211's.

The only currently manufactured dish receivers are probably the Hopper with sling and the various Joeys plus maybe the ViP211z.

Reactions: navychop
222 has no possibility of conversion to a DVR unlike the 211 which can be converted and when replacing 2 301s, you have to rewire (run one cable from the 222 to the 2nd TV) to make it work, OTOH 1 222 is probably cheaper than 2 211's.
If not going for the DVR experience, which was never gained from 2 211's, it would save $7. Or they could go 722 and pay the same but add the DVR service and 2 room integration. the only bad situation I would think of, is what you pointed out, having to rewire, but it may be an overall greater experience, if they have 1 or 2 more features and pay $7 less, especially if they get the install free or cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)