And you think installers have problems with a Dish1000!!

Fredinva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
I feel sorry for the Direct installers here in our area.
They have a new 30" dish which looks at FIVE different birds!!!!
And this cotton-picker with mounting hardware weighs in at about thirty pounds.
And it requires an additional brace, not supplied by Direct???

fred

I don't understand why people think that superdishes are so hard to install. Sure the FSS (105 or 121) bird is a little touchy but as long as you have your elevation and skew set right and your pole is plumb then there isn't any dish made that is too difficult. I think the number of lnbs and the size of the dishes is what intimidates people.

BrettTRay said:
I don't understand why people think that superdishes are so hard to install. Sure the FSS (105 or 121) bird is a little touchy but as long as you have your elevation and skew set right and your pole is plumb then there isn't any dish made that is too difficult. I think the number of lnbs and the size of the dishes is what intimidates people.

Me too. I never had a problem. Tuned in the 110 on a 121 SD and everything else is good. The only probelm is handling those big bass terds.

jlhugh said:
Me too. I never had a problem. Tuned in the 110 on a 121 SD and everything else is good. The only probelm is handling those big bass terds.
I've got a two satellite input signal meter so I just sighted 110 and 119 at the same time so 121 was always right on the money if 110 and 119 was good. Yea, they were heavy. I always hated having to wait on the concrete to set a little. Most of the time when I first got to the house I would dig the hole, level the pole, pour the concrete, and start with the rest of the install so that when I got done with all that the concrete had set enough to put the dish on. If you didn't let it set good then when you put the dish on it would put to much pressure and slowly get itself out of line sometime when you had already left the job so you would have to go back. That happened to me once. After that I started letting it set better.

I've installed both SD121 and SD105...and at least here in Ohio I would much MUCH rather install the 121 any day of the week. The 105 is the touchiest bastard!! And yes, like Van stated, the D1000 is a pain. Mostly due to LOS issues for the 129 portion.

My question I posed earlier was more towards the mast/strut mount install portion of the new Direct 5-LNB than actual peaking of said dish. Ok...and admittedly, I wonder if there are any "problem child" birds out of those 5 satellites.

Personaly I hate installing the SD series and the D1000 series for diferent reasons. With the SD we are not able to place these on roofs anymore wich does limit installations to pole mounts for the most part wich adds 25 mins to as much as 90 mins onto any installation and when you have 5 - 6 jobs to do in a day it makes for a bad situation.

D1000's just dont seem to be disigned properly to take in all three sats effectively and this would be better suited for a SD unfortunately.

Where I have seen is Installer's are using there 500 Skew for the 1000. That is not right. It changed on the dish 1000, or should i say it did here. But I really haven't had that much time with one. Make sure it's level, Get 119 up good, Download, and usually my 129 is up there in signal. BUT THE SKEW DID CHANGE FOR DISH 1000.

Van said:
Personaly I hate installing the SD series and the D1000 series for diferent reasons. With the SD we are not able to place these on roofs anymore wich does limit installations to pole mounts for the most part wich adds 25 mins to as much as 90 mins onto any installation and when you have 5 - 6 jobs to do in a day it makes for a bad situation.

D1000's just dont seem to be disigned properly to take in all three sats effectively and this would be better suited for a SD unfortunately.

6 JOBS} In one day by yourself. Boy you are MOVING.

No kidding!! Where's Simon to chime in on his 2 or 3 jobs per day? :p

Personally, I only do 4 per day. 3 installs...and maybe a service or trouble call. Maybe I'm slow, but I very rarely get a 4-room install completed under 2 hours. Good portion of that is ate up with customer education (20 or 25 minutes)

WOW!!!
"5 or 6 install jobs a day", "4 installs a day".

I guess I'm thankful I don't have to WORK for a living. I'm retired early, and I do a MAX of two installs in one day (and not on my bowling nights!!). And I only work on two or three days a week. All this to support my Golf habit, my Beer habit, and my new driving habit: 2006 Aggressive Pontiac Solstice.

fred