annoying "attention" message on hopper

blainethemono

Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
usa
My family just switched to a Hopper/2 Joey system after using Directv for over 10 years. I've been having a few problems adjusting to this new setup. I'm not sure if this is a general dish thing or something specific to the hopper, but when I try to record something coming up on a channel i'm already watching, I get a message that "X is about to begin recording on this TV. Select allow to record this event or Deny to continue watching your current programming." It came up when I was watching a movie on HBO and had an episode of Game of Thrones set to record after the movie was finished.

the message is completely unnecessary because I was already watching the channel and was planning on keeping that channel on while the show was being recorded. I dont know why this message would even show up but it's pretty annoying. I would hate to miss a trailer or something that premiered before an episode due to this window coming up. Ignoring the message just causes it to go away after a few seconds but it covers the whole screen up and I really wish it wouldn't appear at all.

Also, sometimes I set a show to record and it ends up being "recorded" on the "family room" hopper on one tuner while only being "watched" on the joey in my bedroom. This is kind of a problem because we have 3 tvs and I don't want to take up two tuners when i'm the only one actually watching something. This is kind of hard to explain but I have to jump onto the "watched" feed in order for my joey to be on the "watching and recording" tuner instead of having two tuners for "watching" and "recording"

am I doing something wrong? this is all kind of confusing right now

Attachments

• IMG_20120317_205923.jpg
    IMG_20120317_205923.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 288
I don't think so, the show is coming up next on the channel i'm already watching. It doesn't have to change the channel or anything to record, I was watching that channel anyway and Game of Thrones was coming up and I was going to record it and keep it on. Thats why the message seemed so weird and unnecessary to me.

I don't have to even choose to "allow" it, I can just ignore the message and the show will record while i'm watching it. I just dont get why the message comes up.

*edit Also, on times when there has been a free tuner available, that tuner gets tied up with recording the event while the tuner i'm actively watching on (and that i used to set the recording in the first place) is only "watching". I can't free up that extra tuner without switching to the one thats "recording" which changes my joey's status to "watching and recording"

its pretty hard for me to explain, this might sound pretty confusing. I've been watching recording the same channel for hours (GoT marathon) and before each episode that message pops up telling me its about to start recording and asking if I want to allow or deny it.

Last edited:
With the "older" receivers, you would just see a 2:00 countdown in the top left corner that would be the tip-off that your TV will be changing channels/recording something very soon. Never seen that screen before on the Hopper yet (although mine isn't 100% setup with all the timers yet)

I sure hope it doesnt so that all the time

On the old receivers you can hit the cancel button to clear it off the screen.
I am not doing the hopper upgrade, but the dish receivers are meant to record in the background on a free tuner. I am assuming this hasn't changed. If you have set a timer to record these it is going to try to jump to a free tuner.

Sent from my HTC Flyer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)