Another 721 Problem

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
About a month ago give or take my 721 seemed to get messed up during a storm. It was like it was a currupt file. When I turned it on after the storm I couldn't get it to work. When I tried to reset it with the power button on the front panel it booted up and said it was formating the hard drive. It got done and worked fine although I lost everything I had. It worked great until now. We did have a storm again last night although I'm pretty sure this is plugged into a surge protector. Anyway I turned the TV on today and it said press select. It's always like this when you leave it idle for a long time. It's a Dish logo saying press select floating around the screen. I did and it wouldn't come on like normal. I then tried to reset it with the front power button as this usually fixes the issues. Anyway it reset and said validating hard drive when it first starts up after reseting. It never will get past that screen and if you leave it sitting and come back you can't get it to work at all. I have done it a few times and pulled the smart card to reset too. It doesn't seem to fix it. The yellow power light does seem to be constantly blinking now. Any ideas as to whats wrong or is it something that can't be fixed? I on one hand want a 722 but on the other hand I don't and I don't want my bill to go up $20 a month which it will. I'd like to keep this thing working if possible.

I got fed up and just put in a order for a 722 from dishstore.net. I still would like to get this thing working though if possible. Hopefully I will like the 722. I really don't want to pay the DVR fee but the HD will be a plus. I have my spare receiver which is a 211 hooked up right now so the HD is nice but I miss my DVR already and it's only been gone for a day.

1. Megamike has a good idea.
2. If you turn in the 721 to Dish, they'll send you a 522. Yes, you'll have to pay the DVR fee.
3. I think you need a new surge suppressor. They do wear out.

Didn't want to do that as if I'm going to pay the DVR fee I wanted to just upgrade and go to a HD receiver. The only thing holding me back and sticking with the 721 was no DVR fee. I took this time to decline Dish's offer for a free 522 as I didn't want it. Like I said if I upgrade it would be to a HD DVR so I ordered the 722 from Dishstore. I've gotten it and hooked it up. So far I'm liking it.

We're thinking the same. But I'll have to hold off, probably until next year. Or until my 721 dies. Or until Dish makes me an offer I can't refuse, perhaps in connection with Eastern Arc.

OK, My 721 dies (the third one) and they sent me a 522. When I went to activate they said a DVR fee would apply which I declined. I asked to speak to someone from the retention unit and when I was connected (his ID number 2EI) he said the extra fee for the DVR was incorrct since I had the everything package and had 5 receivers.