Another Dispute for Dish Network

I believe Young Broadcasting owns KRON in the bay area. They had a dispute with Dish and lost. Those greedy #$##%$# well they had NBC and tried the samething lost NBC lost revnue for KRON and pleaded with DISH to put them on for free.

That is one way to run a company---IDOTS

To me right or wrong on this one isn't the main point. Why is it that DISH seemingly is involved in more of these similar disputes than ALL the other pay providers COMBINED?

The history of channels dropping from DISH either permanently, or for days/weeks while they bicker is well known. They obviously go about this differently than the other players.

And right or wrong who is the main loser ALLWAYS? Well the subscribing customer, of course.

To me right or wrong on this one isn't the main point. Why is it that DISH seemingly is involved in more of these similar disputes than ALL the other pay providers COMBINED?

The history of channels dropping from DISH either permanently, or for days/weeks while they bicker is well known. They obviously go about this differently than the other players.

And right or wrong who is the main loser ALLWAYS? Well the subscribing customer, of course.
Not me! All Dish HD receivers have ATSC tuners built in. One main reason why I don't go back to digital cable. OTA, Baby!

For the first time I agree with you. :)

It's not about who's right or who's wrong, it's about the customers always losing channels because of Dish Network's policies.

Not every one of the programming disputes have been with free-to-air channels. This case does. But the point is, why is DISH (seemingly) frequently involved more than all of the rest?

Give John "darth Vadar" Malone a chance!! he's just "warming up" with Nascar!!! p.s. name the channels (other than Voom) that have been permently tossed!!

Give John "darth Vadar" Malone a chance!! he's just "warming up" with Nascar!!! p.s. name the channels (other than Voom) that have been permently tossed!!

GolTV, CentroamericaTV, and there are some local channels. As a customer, why do we have to lose channels because Dish Network has these disputes?

This is one of the main reasons I left Dish a couple of years ago. I got tired of all this dropping of channels and 'unfair' prices against Dish customers. I pointed out to Dish back then about how my local cable company and Direct didn't have the same issues.

As far as the cost of the channels goes, this has been happening for a number of years. Local channels can get compensation back from the Cable and Satellite companies because they charge us for those channels. Some cable companies have gotten out of the fee by giving the local channels addition cable channels as compensation. $0.25 to $0.30 is fairly standard from what I've read.

Another article discussing this issue from the point of the cable companies.

I wonder what will happen if Direct TV boost their price by 15% next year while Dish just boost theirs by 5%??

In spite of direct tv growth they are cutting staff--could paying the higher prices without any dispute be hurting Direct TV??

I do not know, if Direct does have a strong price increase while Dish does not I will bet that Dish will show sub growth at the expense of Direct Tv--even with their ATT contract.

In a downturn economy price is what counts.

Some additional thoughts:

I surely don't know all the economics regarding the cost of providing locals for the satcos. That being said, and knowing full well that locals are available to a large number (but not ALL) of people in a DMA for free (a point previously brought up) - the bigger point is that the satcos CHARGE their subs for locals. Don't think for even one second that the satcos offer them for any reason other than they bring customers onto their platforms - and they are a means of making MILLIONS of dollars.

And let us not forget that it was NOT until Congress changed the laws to allow the satcos to provide locals did the satcos experience huge growth. Most subs depend on their pay provider for locals, whether cable, telco or satco. The ability to offer locals was a huge and major factor for the growth of BOTH DirecTV and DISH. I thus see no problem with the locals getting some revenue in return for providing these companies with their programming, for without it they would have FAR FEWER subscribers, no doubt.

Just read the ongoing threads of subs asking WHEN WILL MY HD LOCALS BE OFFERED. SD locals fueled the growth of satelllite, HD locals now follow.

Sure it's nice to get things for free. How many of us work for free?

I wonder what will happen if Direct TV boost their price by 15% next year while Dish just boost theirs by 5%??

In spite of direct tv growth they are cutting staff--could paying the higher prices without any dispute be hurting Direct TV??

I do not know, if Direct does have a strong price increase while Dish does not I will bet that Dish will show sub growth at the expense of Direct Tv--even with their ATT contract.

In a downturn economy price is what counts.

Even in a "downturn" most people I know and myself still prefer quality and shopping "smart". Shopping simply on price alone makes little sense and in many cases costs the end user more in the long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)