Another failed Direct TV install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Shrugs, touche, op seems to want to deliberatly break dtv's rules and regulations with authorized dish placement, might as well do it himself. Id be pissed if i was the installer that got charged back for a dish falling off stukko. Eff that noise.. i wouldnt touch it myself.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Owned and Operated ...

But I don't see what that has to do with the current discussion ... unless it's something else in this instance.

Agreed.
I cannot stress more that potential stucco wall mounts were an 'auto walk' for me. Dish prohibited them. On the retail side we banned them as well. In fact we would not do any attachments or penetrations on stucco homes at all. If the house was not prewired or built on a crawl or basement, the job did not get done. I had to walk away on quite a few that were not prewired and on slabs. Sucks. But the liability is just too great of a risk.
Not after all the nonsense, lawsuits, water leaks and other garbage that went with stucco.

Owned and Operated ...

But I don't see what that has to do with the current discussion ... unless it's something else in this instance.

Somebody mentioned having to pay for a pole mount and I was saying O&O and HSP now do them free ;)

Aspestos siding is viewed the same as stukko in my area, another no drilling situation.

Oh yeah....I am now in the emergency services business which is mitigation of water, fire, smoke and mold losses. We are under strict EPA regulations.
For example, if we go into a home and demolition is required, we must research the age of the home. If the home was built prior to 1982, we must take samples of flooring, textured ceiling and even some types of parquet or engineered flooring and have them tested at a lab.
Any way, one of the owners of the shop I used to work at, called me. He said a customer had called to complain about some cracked siding near an entry door. The custy claimed the tech attached a cable to the siding and it cracked. They claimed the asbestos siding was going to make them sick. He needed my advice as to what to do.
a few days later he called back and told me upon his inspection, he discovered that the cabling was there before the tech got there and that the siding around the house was in terrible condition.
Clearly this customer was setting up some kind of claim to force a payoff.
The bottom line all techs must be wary of asbestos siding. It should never be drilled. No penetrations. Even to attach cable.

My office would kill me (or any other techs) if we refused to drill at all, just need strict landlord permission in writing documenting what the siding is and that the onsite tech, comcast, or its contractors are in no way responsible for any damage that may result from the install. Then we use masonary bits slowly.

My office would kill me (or any other techs) if we refused to drill at all, just need strict landlord permission in writing documenting what the siding is and that the onsite tech, comcast, or its contractors are in no way responsible for any damage that may result from the install. Then we use masonary bits slowly.

Perhaps a cable company will protect it's people from liability. I know for a fact Dish will not. And neither would my employer. I was paid on a 1099 and carried my own liability policy.
Anyway, we had rules in place that prohibited drilling into this stuff.
The issue is not just breaking the asbestos siding. Everyone is so risk averse these days, they are ready to file a lawsuit at the first hint of a possibility of a pay day.
No thanks. Yeah, I'm going to drill a hole into asbestos siding while the customer is on the phone with some plaintiff's attorney claiming I mad them sick from asbestos dust..
No friggin thank you.
People are so hypersensitive to the point where I have grown to trust no one.

If i was 1099 id be the same way, as a w2 employee a damage claim/lawsuit wouldnt be my problem so long as i had proper documentation in writing from the homeowner or landlord. But i think this topic got way off topic, i wonder if the op ever got installed?

Owned and Operated ...

O/O could refer to the money. Contractors should make sure the customer knows Directv only pays for the things on the FREE list. Here the customer pays for the labor and material for the steel pole in concrete. Owner / Operator offices = Directv as an employer pays for materials and provides and employee to do the work. DTV, eats that cost; the customer get a FREE pole.

In this case I think the confusion is what "stucco" means. There is "hard wall" that has a stucco finish. While there is no asbestos issue, mounting a dish on it will really damage that kind of wall. Under the finish is a ply of rigid Styrofoam insulation board and below that is presswood sheathing. Stucco on a masonry wall is no biggie...a few whamcons will do it. Perhaps, now that O/O offices have discovered the cost of liability they back off on where they tell their employee-techs to hang dishes. Regardless of who pays, there will be damage mounting a dish on hardwall stucco.

joe

Last edited:
O/O could refer to the money. Contractors should make sure the customer knows Directv only pays for the things on the FREE list. Here the customer pays for the labor and material for the steel pole in concrete. Owner / Operator offices = Directv as an employer pays for materials and provides and employee to do the work. DTV, eats that cost; the customer get a FREE pole.

In this case I think the confusion is what "stucco" means. There is "hard wall" that has a stucco finish. While there is no asbestos issue, mounting a dish on it will really damage that kind of wall. Under the finish is a ply of rigid Styrofoam insulation board and below that is presswood sheathing. Stucco on a masonry wall is no biggie...a few whamcons will do it. Perhaps, now that O/O offices have discovered the cost of liability they back off on where they tell their employee-techs to hang dishes. Regardless of who pays, there will be damage mounting a dish on hardwall stucco.

joe

Most stucco construction here is a veneer on wood framing. Beneath the stucco coating is a mesh material which is attached to a sheathing. In this type of application there is a void between the stucco system and the actual sheathing of the house. This is where the issue lies. Penetrating the stucco can create water leaks. That is even if a sealant is used. Over time, the dish moves up and down, side to side from buffeting by the wind. The penetrations will become larger the sealant will fail.
The other issue of course is there just is not enough material behind the outer coating for a strong base for the lags bolts. It's a flimsy mount.And it is damned near impossible to hit a stud.

All in all its a pretty not good idea to do an install over stukko and OP is best off trusting dtv's judgement.

Something like that,
What dishcomm described is hardwall without insulation.......but you don't want to hang anything on it either for the same reasons.
What I saw on my last Directv ride was tech from at least three different offices being sent into the same rural area. Most of these guys knew what they were doing. Within the herd were some real hacks who caused many damage claims. When these claims hit the installation companies they just closed up without paying techs (like me). These offices could not be sued. They had no money. Their owners left the state. The repairs were made. The customers were eventually happy. Techs were presented with all kinds of made up charge backs to hide the damage claims (best explanation I can figure).

So yes, avoid all but masonry attachments.....try to visualize what will happen when the dish comes down...how will the holes be patched and hidden. Also...do not attempt to make repairs to crappy work or you will be held liable for the damages.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts