Another grounding question

ClarkGable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
Local tech did the permanent pole mount of our 1000.2 today. Dish is 30' from house and sits totally in the clear - no trees, etc. nearby. Installed cable had three leads (two used) and a ground wire, all buried. Ground was attached at the dish mounting pole and the block where the cables enters our home.

Previous installs (mine) were grounded to an 8' copper ground rod connected to the service ground. Is the current grounding of the new dish sufficient or should I connect it to the service ground too?

Thanks for your advice!

There should be a wire coming from the ground block tothe service ground for the house. But if there is not I would not worry about it. More often than not grounding a unit creates more problems

How you connect your ground rod to your entry ground determines whether it is a valid "bonding point" or not. Technically, you must run a #6 wire between the two rods or the new ground doesn't meet code. It will still do most of what it is supposed to do, but it isn't going to make an electrical inspector happy.

How you connect your ground rod to your entry ground determines whether it is a valid "bonding point" or not. Technically, you must run a #6 wire between the two rods or the new ground doesn't meet code. It will still do most of what it is supposed to do, but it isn't going to make an electrical inspector happy.
That is exactly how mine connects to the service ground. The reason I ask this question in the first place was that my first dish was mounted on a tower, and I had the dish and block where the coax enters the house grounded to the copper ground rod I put in. In a year's time I replaced an LNB and a receiver because of damage from nearby lightning strikes. After I connected that ground rod to the service ground rod, I had no problems for 11 years. Could be I just got lucky, too!

Local tech did the permanent pole mount of our 1000.2 today. Dish is 30' from house and sits totally in the clear - no trees, etc. nearby. Installed cable had three leads (two used) and a ground wire, all buried. Ground was attached at the dish mounting pole and the block where the cables enters our home.

Previous installs (mine) were grounded to an 8' copper ground rod connected to the service ground. Is the current grounding of the new dish sufficient or should I connect it to the service ground too?

Thanks for your advice!
There should be a ground wire( 10 guage solid copper) running from the grounding block to the service ground at your elect meter. The remainder of the set up seems fine.

I had a new dish installed the other day and the installer ran a ground wire from the dish to the grounding block outside the house. From there he ran a ground wire to a clamp and said if I want to I can put a ground rod in and attach the clamp to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)