Another Legacy LNB question

Harmony

Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
I have a twin legacy LNB with the larger dish (Dish pro). I would like to upgrade to a DVR reciever maybe 522 or 510. Will this work or do I need to change the LNB to a dish pro?

Thanks

you should have no problem upgrading to any receiver. All DP receivers are backwards compatible with Legacy LNBs. Keep in mind that if you do get a dual tuner (522, 625, 322, etc) you will need two lines ran from the LNB to the receiver.

Harmony said:
Why 2 lines? not sure what you mean by dual tuner? Could I use a splitter?
Thanks

The 522 is what is called a dual tuner receiver. It has 2 remotes and 2 tuners. What happens is you run 2 Coax lines to it. From the receiver you run one output to your main tv and it has the capability to run another output to a 2nd tv (via RF in a seperate Coax).

In order for this to work you *need* to run 2 coax lines to the 522. You CANNOT use a simple splitter for ANY satellite runs. Dish has created something called a Dish Plus Pro that allows you to run only 1 coax to a dual tuner receiver. I'm not entirely sure how this works...can someone else fill this part in?

To use one of the Dual Tuner Receivers with single cable you will need to use the Seperator (not a splitter) that comes with the receiver. However you will in this case need to upgrade the LNB or add a DPP switch, the 2 tuners from 1 cable isnt supported by legacy LNB's.

Harmony said:
Why 2 lines? not sure what you mean by dual tuner? Could I use a splitter?

Thanks
Just in general, there's at least 3 of these threads in just the last couple of days.

To all newbies! The search button is your friend!

Thank you.