Another Newbie Question

bpiddle

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 27, 2006
Because of trees and a mountain, I can only receive the satellite at 61.5. That is OK since I am only interested in receiving TV5 (the French channel) and the Voom channels. I currently have one 211 and one 811 receiver connected to what I believe is called a legacy dish pointed at 61.5. I would like to replace the 211 receiver since I have had so much difficulty with it. Could I replace it with a 622 without replacing the current dish and adding new wires? Specifically, could I simply connect the wire from the dish that currently is connected to the 211 to the 622? I know that the 622 has two satellite inputs. Do you have to use both? I do not need PIP or the ability to watch one thing and record another. However, if possible, I would like the ability to record something while I am not at home. Any help would be appreciated.

Simple answer.. No. 622 needs both inputs to work correctly. Can it be made to work on one cable.. yes. but it will not work right, and give all kinds of errors and problems.. So you would have to either run an additional wire to your setup from the dish or change the dish to Dish Pro Plus so it can work with the single wire and a separator. You said you had a "legacy" setup. That is a LNB thing. But you didn't say what dish. I suspect a DIsh 300 here and you can't get a triple LNB only a dual which is what you probably have feeding your 211 and 811. A Dish Pro LNB and a DPP44 switch maybe would work, but I have never tried it that way.

IMHO, you definitely want both tuners, otherwise, you lose the full power of the 622; the ability to record one channel and watch another....

Thanks to both of you. I think I will try to have a new dish (Dish Pro Plus) installed. Thanks again.

I finally got around to having the new dish and 622 installed. Everything works perfectly. I think this receiver is fantastic!

I bought the 622 because my 211 was crashing several times a week. The installer suggested that instead of keeping the 811 and throwing out the 211, I keep the 211 but not connect the over-the-air antenna to it. He thought this would cut down the number of crashes. Well, it worked. So far six days and the 211 is working perfectly. Maybe the installer was right.

In any event, thanks again for the help and suggestions I received from the members of this board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)