Another One Bites The Dust!!!

Carroll A

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Well gang I wish I was talking about the Queen song, but my 510 unloaded on me tonight... I noticed the HD making a clicking noise like a blinker on a car... Since the old eyes are getting pretty bad my wife helped me with what all needed to be done... I did a hard reset and bam nothing so I did another hard reset and was able to bring the unit back to at least 6 cylinders but I lost all movies and have lost all DVR functions since the HD is bad... I called Dish and talked to one of the best tech support people I have ever talked to from Dishes call center in Houston... We did a lot of testing to see if anything could be salvaged, but it was a no go so Dish is sending another 510... One thing I did notice while we were playing around with the menu was that a new software version was loaded on to my 510 P369... I have no clue what it did, but am wondering if it is just coincidence that the HD failure came around the time the new software was loaded onto the RCVR... Other than a few glitches here and there my unit has been flawless so I knew my luck would be running out... Now question time does Dish send out refurb units or do they still even make 510's and is there a difference from a newer unit as opposed to my almost 3 year old unit... My wife was ticked because we lost a lot of good movies off the HD that we have not converted to DVD yet, but for me all I ever listen to is the news channels and Sirius as well as listen to a few movies from time to time... The rep said something that was interesting, but I did not get to question him, but he was mentioning having an external HD to back up what ever he had on his HD!!! Can you do that with a 510 or is that a VIP exclusive with the newer recvrs??? Lots of questions and kinda curious... CC

Sorry to hear about the break-down.

Dish normally sends out refurbs. The 501 one I got replacing my 7200 (thanks to Dish's new yellow card killing the receiver which was working perfectly well before hand--I still miss the 7200) is still working fine years later, though it does have a very noisy hard drive. It is living in a closed closet it makes so much noise. I could have sent it back but decided not to in case the next replacement was a POS! :)

See ya
Tony

my 510 got hit by lightning and they sent me a refurb for $19 and waived the shipping.....that was awesome....i thought i wa out $300