Another ongoing 522 issue

Getut

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
I've posted about this problem before but it has been going on for me since at least L245 firmware, and I'm now at L251 and it is still doing the following.

Tuner 2 is not automatically recovering after the DVR loses signal for something like a thunderstorm, it goes to the system info screen and stays. It will miss any timers set to record on tuner 2 until someone realizes it and hits select on the remote to select DONE on the system info screen. Tuner 1 recovers nicely as soon as the storm has passed and either sits at the Dish Network screen saver (if the machine was off when the storm hit) or goes right back to showing television if it was on when the signal was lost.

I got a CSR to do a swap out, but I'm not sure I want to lose everything when it gets here... especially not knowing if it will fix the problem.

Anyone

Is anyone else having this issue? I sure would like to know if it is a known issue on other units with the latest couple revisions of firmware that swapping units is NOT going to fix before I undertake this and lose all my timers and stuff.

If it is a known issue, I'll just send the new unit back and not do the swap.

The new unit will arrive somewhere around 7/18

I had this happen to me but found that my coax feed to tuner 2 was a little flakey. Once I replaced that feed everything was OK. You might want to swap the feeds from tuner 1 and tuner 2 and than see if the behavior moves to tuner 1. This will tell you if its a feed or receiver issue.

I just had this happen to me! It has happened a few times the last couple of days. There have been some nice thunderstorms in my area and I guess the signal was lost. When I turn on the TV... the signal screen is just sitting there. Then you have to change the channel and all is well again. You are not alone.

Getut said:
I've posted about this problem before but it has been going on for me since at least L245 firmware, and I'm now at L251 and it is still doing the following.

You have never had L2.45 because it has never been released (and never will be released for the 522). The L2.4x range is for the 322. The last release for the 522 was L2.39 which then jumped to L2.51.

The L2.51 software update did not change the problem with TV2 going to the info screen, which blocks recording unless you go to that place and push "done" to return it. Best bet is to power up TV2 every morning to be sure it is going if you plan to timer record that day. After recording, TV2 will often return to the info screen, blocking later recording. This problem has existed at least since L2.39. Swapping out your 522 for a rebuilt unit will not change this problem, it is a software glitch.

Great

I'm actually glad other people are having the same issue this time. I really didn't want to swap out the unit with an unknown one because compared to many posts here, my 522 has been pretty good.

To finally answer Gman. I swapped the inputs this weekend and had a storm come through again, it lost signal and tuner 2 (the same one) went to the system info screen when the signal came back. So it isn't a problem with the wiring.

Now that you mention it.. I guess it was around 2.35 where I started noticing this problem with my unit. I have called tech support 3 different times on the issue and each time I was at different firmware levels.

Supereal, The workaround you mention doesn't work. I inadvertently do that occassionally anyway. It doesn't matter whether tuner 2 is on or off when signal is lost... just as soon as signal comes back tuner 2 goes to the system info screen.

Now for what the tech support dude told me who authorized the replacement 522. He said it was definitely a problem with my 522. His reasoning was that it is NORMALLY impossible for either tuner to display the system information screen and still have the other tuner showing television. In testing I think he is right. I cannot MANUALLY make either tuner show sysinfo without disrupting the other television.

Has anyone else called on this issue??? Because the technician said he had never heard of it and used the logic above to authorize a swap.

About every morning, my tuner 2 is stuck trying to acquire the satellites and it sits on 0 of 5 until I go reset the box. It used to sit at the info screen every morning but since I've had my 3rd replacement box, it has been doing this.

Getut: The workaround usually does it here. I forgot this morning to fire up TV2, and it displayed the info screen when the scheduled record came up. The last few days, starting it up first thing in the morning has avoided the problem, or it is just a fortunate coincidence which, with the 522, is entirely possible. I've had this system since the first of the year and swapped the receiver once. Each new software update seems to bring surprises, most of them problems. With L2.51, you MUST check the recording schedule daily, as it seems to now pick and choose for itself on occasion.

mie 625 when off for more then 10 minutes goes to 0 of 5 screen as well and sits there, all i do is hit power then select and everything is fine
i think when it goes into 0 of 5 mode it is actually downloading vod i believe

I had the system info screen on TV2 problem the last couple of days. We noticed that several programs in the schedule didn't get recorded or only part of the program was recorded. When I checked the TV connected to TV2 it was there sitting at the System Info. screen. When I clicked OK it started recording.
There had been some thunderstorms to the south but they didn't interfere with the signal on TV1 so I doubt weather had anything to do with it.

I called Dish technical support to report the problem but, of course, they had never heard of this problem before.

maximum

I would have thought you knew by now that was Dish Networks pre programmed response they have never heard of any problems before.

Shadowtester said:
maximum

I would have thought you knew by now that was Dish Networks pre programmed response they have never heard of any problems before.
Yes, I was expecting it. I guess more people need to complain before they'll ever admit there is a problem. I did tell the CSR about this message board and that others were having the same problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)