Another OTA/1000.2 Question

davidgr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Modesto, CA
Good Morning all, I have been researching and reading through as many forums and posts, to get the best info I can. I want to install an OTA and connect it in with my existing system. I don’t want or need OTA in the “TV2” rooms. Just in the 2 rooms with the current 622’s. Also, I cannot run separate lines from the OTA to the 622’s, just not possible.

System: Dish 1000.2 dish, 2 vip 622’s, with TV2 outs to 2 additional rooms. This is a standard Dish install, with 2 SCTV “RED” diplexers inline and separators at each 622.

I have purchased 4 Holland DPD2 “BLUE” Diplexers, and would like to install them in this manner. Just inside the house, at the cabletv box, I will install a standard antenna splitter, to 2 DPD2’s along with the 2 lines from the 1000.2. Leaving all of the other wires as installed by Dish, to the inside rooms.

At the back of the 622’s, I will then install the other DPD2’s, inline, just before the RED SCTV diplexers, and hook the SAT side to the line in for the SCTV, and from the UHF/VHF out to the input on the back of the 622’s.

In my mind, and from what I have read, this should give me 110-119-129, at all 4 tvs and additionally, OTA at each of the 622’s. My only concern is the interference to the “backfeed” of the TV2 and the OTA on the same line??? Will this all work for me, or do I need to do something different??

As always, any and all info or advise, anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Sounds right, I think, davidgr.

You are running the antenna feed to a splitter, yes? The splitter's outs are to diplexers which are added to the satellite feeds, yes?

At the back of your receivers you use diplexers to pull out the antenna signal and feed them to the TV and/or receiver...

Sounds ok. If you have any trouble with TV2's reception, let me know.

Give 'er at try!

Sounds right, I think, davidgr.

You are running the antenna feed to a splitter, yes? The splitter's outs are to diplexers which are added to the satellite feeds, yes?

At the back of your receivers you use diplexers to pull out the antenna signal and feed them to the TV and/or receiver...

Sounds ok. If you have any trouble with TV2's reception, let me know.

Give 'er at try!

Yes, Yes, and yes to the back of the receivers. I am glad to get some backup to this, I just didn't want to jump into this endevor, and have it mess up everything, without a reassurance. thanks.

You can't cascade diplexers and they are always used in pairs. What you describe will kill the signal for either TV2 or the OTA, as the antenna signal from one diplexer will be filtered out by going through the other diplexer's satellite-only port.

With a variation you might accomplish what you want. No additional diplexers. Instead, split the existing feed to both the TV2 out and antenna in ports. You would also need to combine with a splitter in reverse, the OTA antenna and TV2 connections at the other diplexer. While it might work, it also has the side-effect of illegally broadcasting your output through the OTA antenna.

OK Pepper, I think I found a diagram of what you are saying, ( thanks Andrewwski), I seen this in another thread. Is this correct???

Attachments

• diagram.bmp
    823.7 KB · Views: 213
I've been asked to clarify so I'm attaching an ugly diagram I just drew up using MS-Paint. The left side is what you have now, the right side is what I think you want.

That diagram you found is basically the same thing without my wondrous art skillz :)

Attachments

• OTA diplexed with TV2.jpg
    OTA diplexed with TV2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 498
Pepper is correct. This will work, but I have found it will distort tv2's picture quality slightly sometimes. I have had done some that it doesn't effect tv2 and other times it has.

Pepper is correct. This will work, but I have found it will distort tv2's picture quality slightly sometimes. I have had done some that it doesn't effect tv2 and other times it has.

TV2 picture quality will vary depending on which channel you choose for output. Lower channel numbers (air or cable setting) are higher power channels. For Air channels, 21 is higher power than 60, and for Cable channels, 73 is higher power than 125.

By searching for an un-used, low number channel (one that isn't being used for broadcast), you can find a clear channel for TV2.

Running TV2 through a modulator? Try channel cable 80.

Using this set up, what could cause everything to work but the OTA signal to not make it through. Where I normally get 28 channels upon scanning, I am getting 0 with no signal strength at all. I have followed the instructions to a T. It works on my down stairs 722, but when I do the same set up for my 622 upstairs I get no OTA signal.

Many 622's I have encountered don't scan for signal, but when I would individually scan/check for the channels, they would be able to be found individually and then each singly added to the lineup until they where all there.

That could be the problem, but make sure that you are sending the TV2 output on the "Air" setting, not a "Cable" setting.

Many 622's I have encountered don't scan for signal, but when I would individually scan/check for the channels, they would be able to be found individually and then each singly added to the lineup until they where all there.

That could be the problem, but make sure that you are sending the TV2 output on the "Air" setting, not a "Cable" setting.

It will get the channels upon scanning if I hook the anteanna up directly. I think I may have the TV2 set to cable channel 73. Would that knock out the OTA signal?

OK, I did what Pepper, and Andrewwski said, and by both of their diagrams. ALL IS WELL. I get all the OTA on the 2 main tv's with 622's, and I don't get or want them on the others, I have deleted out all channels on them except for the one that is modulated out of the 622's. Reasons are, because one is in my 6 year old sons room, and one in the office, that is used by him, and my wife. This way it is not confusing for them. One strange side note, I did change the modulated channel out, to channel 27 on both of the tv 2's and one worked great, the other though would not. So I did a scan (with the TV2 out, set at air-27) and it did bring in some of the OTA's on their respective channels, but the DISH was on 78. Crystal Clear. So I just went back to the 622, and changed the TV2 out to 78. All in all I am happy, now I have 6 possible DVR sources, and all is well. Thanks again for all your help.

There is overlap in those numbers. Often times when scanning on a TV2, the channels would be found on 22 air when the receiver is set to 73 cable.

Yepper, seen this: Air 22 is almost the same frequency as Cable 73 (very close).

I have done what the OP wanted to do.
Air Ch 22 is my tv2 channel.
I channel up down to get the OTA in HD.

fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)