Another Programming Dispute

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Greed Greed Greed one ture story Kron is San Francisco had the same greed. It want so far that KRON lost it NBC affilate it went to KNTV 11

In the end Kron gave away its signal to dish---KRON is now in the red.

Can the same happen here---stay tune

I live in Brooklyn NY and I can't get most of the OTA digital stations that are only broadcasting 5 miles away so there you are wrong. So I greatly rely on the HD local channels on Dish Network.

Dish network is not your only choice in Brooklyn.

And I never said the rural population was insignificant. I grew up in a white area. I had a 50 ft tower, a monster channel master antenna, rotor and amps to get 3 channels. I understand that problem. Plus I've been with Dish for over 11 yrs.

But say Dish didn't provide locals and offered a lower cost alternative. It would work for many (probably most) people and save them money. Maybe the distant networks could have been provided to only those who really needed them. Maybe they would still be available from Dish. Maybe Directv would have still provided LIL to those that wanted locals off sat, or didn't want an antenna. Plus I believe the superstations are still available to get CW and Mytv or whatever it is now.

Plus on top of it all. It doesn't really matter. Its just a possibility that I think would have worked. If you disagree, that fine too. Just try to keep an open mind to other possibilities.

I'll just return to lurking around here.

Now back to regularly scheduled thread.............

Dish would lose a LOT of subscribers if they did not offer the locals. The cable companies and DirecTv would snatch those customers right up, including myself, even if they could get some of them with an outdoor antenna. With the new digital mandate, people are having an even harder time tuning those channels in.

...But say Dish didn't provide locals and offered a lower cost alternative.....
if Dish didn't provide my locals i'd switch to DirecTV in the heart beat of a humming bird on a sugar rush, regardless of potential "lower costs".

FWIW if I could get locals OTA I wouldn't subscribe to Dish or any other pay for TV service :eek:

Talon Dancer

If you think back when Dish started it seemed to me that they were pushing more for areas that could not get OTA reception or cable - I think they even called it wireless cable on the flyers they were sending out - so in reality if it weren't for the rural customers Dish wouldn't have taken off so fast or Direct either in my opinion - So let's give a little credit where credit is due.

Sorry to get off the subject - just thought the little guy (rural customers) should get a little bit of credit for making small dishes take off more so than the Urban guys say

Seriously, what a load of crap (that channel). Oh, we just want 2 cents a day out of the $5 you pay. Oh, did we neglect to mention that the $5 is per month? Our bad in making that an invalid comparison. Seriously, that 2 cents out of 17 cents, 12% of the fee just for one channel. I thought most local stations get less than 30 cents a month per sub, this one wants almost twice that.

:up Exactly what I was thinking. First thing that struck me when reading this is... if they indeed feel justified in charging $.60/month, why are they being disingenuous and deceitful in the way they present the numbers? They lost all credibility once they knowingly compared apples to oranges.

...just thought the little guy (rural customers) should get a little bit of credit for making small dishes take off more so than the Urban guys say

I totally agreee with that. I was one of those first rural customers. My locals were not on Dish then. But I was able to get NY and LA which were better than my locals anyway.

Let me take 1 more stab at making my point. Most of the complexity of Dish is because of LIL. Look at 118.7 as one example, plus all the other dish variations needed to get multiple sat locations. Its very likely that it costs Dish more than $5 a month to provide your locals. But they chose to do it to keep people like those posted above.

Right now the DVR advantage pack is $70 for AT250, HD and locals. What if that cost was $40 or $50 without locals? Maybe that would attract more subscribers than those lost due to no locals. What if you could still get NY and LA in HD if you could not get digital / HD OTA? Now you're getting even more subs.

Dish has roughly 13 mil subs out of a possible 100 mil households (give or take). I think its possible that a low cost AT250 package would be popular. More popular than 13%, I don't know. But it would have provided a low cost alternative that Directv didn't provide. Right now Dish and Direct are more similar than different.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts