Another Retrans dispute - this time COX/Apollo - about to hit AT&T/DIRECTV

ATVA Responds to Cox Blackout Holding Super Bowl Hostage for Fifth Time

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, ATVA responded to a Cox Media Group blackout targeting a total of 20 media markets — including Seattle and four smaller media markets where the blackout holds Sunday’s Super Bowl hostage to extract exorbitant fees. It’s now at least the fifth time Cox-owned stations have either threatened or withdrawn the Super Bowl after previous retransmission consent blackouts involving Charter Spectrum, DISH Network, Verizon FIOS, CableOne and AT&T.

“This latest contrived blackout holding such an important national event like the Super Bowl hostage demonstrates how broadcasters like Cox Media Group intentionally cause maximum disruption and harm for consumers in order to extract exorbitant fees,” said ATVA spokeswoman Jessica Kendust. “The price-gouging behavior of broadcasters like Cox has become increasingly shameless and exploitative and demands action from policymakers in Washington.”

“There’s a very clear correlation between the explosion of broadcast blackouts over the past decade and the fact that station fees have soared more than seven-fold at consumers’ expense,” Kendust said. “However, these outlandish and unnecessary increases have zero relationship to the waning popularity of stations involved, proving the current retransmission consent laws are not only unbalanced but entirely broken. Policymakers need to modernize this law to better protect the American consumer and hold broadcasters accountable to their public interest obligations rather than continue allowing broadcasters to weaponize their station licenses and government-granted exclusivities.”

“Even during a public health crisis, broadcasters have increasingly relied on underhanded retransmission blackouts to price-gouge American television consumers,” Kendust continued.

“Policymakers simply must hold broadcasters, like Cox, accountable for these egregious practices by advancing consumer- friendly broadcast distribution reforms.”
In 2020, broadcasters doubled down on their use of retransmission blackouts to extort American consumers who rely on cable or satellite for their television service. There were a record-breaking 342 blackouts in 2020 compared to 278 in 2019.

###

The American Television Alliance (ATVA) brings together an unprecedented coalition of consumer groups, cable, satellite, telephone companies, and independent programmers to raise
awareness about the risk TV viewers face as broadcasters increasingly threaten service disruptions that would deny viewers access to the programs they and their families enjoy.

ATVA Responds to Cox Blackout Holding Super Bowl Hostage for Fifth Time

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, ATVA responded to a Cox Media Group blackout targeting a total of 20 media markets — including Seattle and four smaller media markets where the blackout holds Sunday’s Super Bowl hostage to extract exorbitant fees. It’s now at least the fifth time Cox-owned stations have either threatened or withdrawn the Super Bowl after previous retransmission consent blackouts involving Charter Spectrum, DISH Network, Verizon FIOS, CableOne and AT&T.

“This latest contrived blackout holding such an important national event like the Super Bowl hostage demonstrates how broadcasters like Cox Media Group intentionally cause maximum disruption and harm for consumers in order to extract exorbitant fees,” said ATVA spokeswoman Jessica Kendust. “The price-gouging behavior of broadcasters like Cox has become increasingly shameless and exploitative and demands action from policymakers in Washington.”

“There’s a very clear correlation between the explosion of broadcast blackouts over the past decade and the fact that station fees have soared more than seven-fold at consumers’ expense,” Kendust said. “However, these outlandish and unnecessary increases have zero relationship to the waning popularity of stations involved, proving the current retransmission consent laws are not only unbalanced but entirely broken. Policymakers need to modernize this law to better protect the American consumer and hold broadcasters accountable to their public interest obligations rather than continue allowing broadcasters to weaponize their station licenses and government-granted exclusivities.”

“Even during a public health crisis, broadcasters have increasingly relied on underhanded retransmission blackouts to price-gouge American television consumers,” Kendust continued.

“Policymakers simply must hold broadcasters, like Cox, accountable for these egregious practices by advancing consumer- friendly broadcast distribution reforms.”
In 2020, broadcasters doubled down on their use of retransmission blackouts to extort American consumers who rely on cable or satellite for their television service. There were a record-breaking 342 blackouts in 2020 compared to 278 in 2019.

###

The American Television Alliance (ATVA) brings together an unprecedented coalition of consumer groups, cable, satellite, telephone companies, and independent programmers to raise
awareness about the risk TV viewers face as broadcasters increasingly threaten service disruptions that would deny viewers access to the programs they and their families enjoy.
What have they done for the consumer lately. We're still having retransmission disputes lasting for months.:mad:

Frankly, and don't take it the wrong way I have no dog in this fight and don't care. I have never been affected by this kind of dispute I am in the minority probably. My sports are Hockey and Curling I have that handled.

Frankly, and don't take it the wrong way I have no dog in this fight and don't care. I have never been affected by this kind of dispute I am in the minority probably. My sports are Hockey, track and field, winter sports, and Curling I have that handled.

Frankly, and don't take it the wrong way I have no dog in this fight and don't care. I have never been affected by this kind of dispute I am in the minority probably. My sports are Hockey and Curling I have that handled.
So, because you have yours handled, the rest of the people should just Accept the situation ?

I pick my battles, this is not one of them as I said above don't take it the wrong way it would not matter to me if there was no Super Bowl broadcast. Others are encouraged to do as they wish.

So you're ok with them holding viewers hostage as long as it's something you don't watch?
No one is being held hostage. Put up an antenna, watch on Locast, subscribe to CBS for $5, go to a friend's house or switch to a different provider. It's all good. Life goes on.

Hostage-taking is putting a gun to someone's head, not taking away a silly TV program.

No one is being held hostage. Put up an antenna, watch on Locast, subscribe to CBS for $5, go to a friend's house or switch to a different provider. It's all good. Life goes on.

Hostage-taking is putting a gun to someone's head, not taking away a silly TV program.
That's too naive to even deserve a response.

Are you in Alaska? Area code 907.
His location does say that...

When they "improved" this site, you have to click that stupid arrow now to see where people are from. I didn't notice it right away either. Just like AVS Forum, the re-design "improvements" to this site ruined it and have caused my personal traffic to both to decrease significantly.

IF you live in a place that can get OTA television . Millions of rural, and even suburban, Americans do not.

The retransmission consent law should be repealed and the rule under Fortnightly restored. Local TV should be free.

Another Statement...

When Private Equity Collides with Public Interest: Unpacking the Audacious Apollo, Cox Super Bowl Blackout

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Television Alliance (ATVA) released the following statement Thursday further unpacking an audacious Apollo Global Management and Cox Media Group blackout which aims to cause maximum disruption and pain to consumers in five media markets and hold the Super Bowl hostage in order to extract exorbitant fees.

“Apollo Global Management, a mammoth New York private equity fund, has pulled its Cox Media Group subsidiary’s local broadcast stations from AT&T — less than a week before the Super Bowl,” said ATVA spokeswoman Jessica Kendust. “This means AT&T customers in a great NFL city like Seattle or football- mad Dayton, Ohio risk missing the biggest game of the year.”

“But it gets worse — In some cities like Yuma, Arizona and Eureka, California, Apollo controls multiple Big Four network affiliations, while in Greenville, Mississippi Apollo controls all four national broadcast network feeds,” Kendust said. “So, with the flick of a switch, Apollo has not only cut off all national network programming to AT&T subscribers in the Greenville market, but also most local TV news in the midst of a public health crisis in one of the 15 states with the most confirmed COVID cases per residents.

“This is a particularly brazen assault on consumers and profiteering that defies any reconciliation with broadcast industry promises to avoid service interruptions during the pandemic and vacuous claims that even the largest broadcasters, like Apollo needed stimulus funds to ‘preserve local news,’” Kendust added. “We urge the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) to prevent this sort of local consolidation and concentration of power, but pay-me-now players like Apollo have exploited every loophole and lobbied hard to eliminate any accountability whatsoever.”

“Apollo’s out-and-out price-gouging shows why these rules must be protected, strengthened and actually enforced to eliminate a stampede of greed at American consumers’ expense,” Kendust added.

In March 2020, just as the COVID-19 pandemic was escalating in the United States, National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) President Gordon Smith acknowledged the industry had a public interest duty to limit retransmission blackouts during the public health crisis:

“I don’t speak for every individual company and their economic decision, I know I have heard on calls with our executive committee and individual members that they recognize the public responsibility to not have service interruptions during this time... As has been the case whenever there is a national emergency, broadcasters don’t want to see service interruptions of any kind.“
page1image42339712
page1image42340480

Those comments didn’t age well given there were a record-breaking number of retransmission blackouts in 2020 — more than in 2019 — and that Big Broadcast is already continuing to brazenly wield blackouts at the start of 2021 – as the pandemic continues.

###
The American Television Alliance (ATVA) brings together an unprecedented coalition of consumer groups, cable, satellite, telephone companies, and independent programmers to raise awareness about the risk TV viewers face as broadcasters increasingly threaten service disruptions that would deny viewers access to the programs they and their families enjoy.

IF you live in a place that can get OTA television . Millions of rural, and even suburban, Americans do not.

The retransmission consent law should be repealed and the rule under Fortnightly restored. Local TV should be free.
I completely agree with you. But Congress has been paid off by the broadcasters and they will not change it to be free for cable and satellite providers. In fact, the law was vetoed by Bush and Congress overrode his objections by a big margin.

Last edited:
Thankfully, COX, Apollo and AT&T made nice hours before that "Big Game", which means viewers in Seattle and Dayton don't have to take evasive measures. And the others get back what they were missing.

That said, if you subscribe to any video provider anyblank having an antenna should be your backup if you live within range of a transmitter. This retrans hell will resurface at some point.

Reactions: rcwilcox
Thankfully, COX, Apollo and AT&T made nice hours before that "Big Game", which means viewers in Seattle and Dayton don't have to take evasive measures. And the others get back what they were missing.

That said, if you subscribe to any video provider anyblank having an antenna should be your backup if you live within range of a transmitter. This retrans hell will resurface at some point.
Thats good to hear that it was agreed upon ...
However, that is the EXACT reason they have the contract run out when it does, so they have the leverage of a big important game.

I would imagine that this contract also will run out right before a Major event.

His location does say that...

When they "improved" this site, you have to click that stupid arrow now to see where people are from. I didn't notice it right away either. Just like AVS Forum, the re-design "improvements" to this site ruined it and have caused my personal traffic to both to decrease significantly.
DOH! Thanks, I didn’t see that. But saw his area code listed, 907.
Yes, Alaska.
Where abouts? I lived in Fairbanks.