ANOTHER Sling Adapter/722k connection problem

SportBilly

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
NC
After months of deliberating, the wife and I finally ordered a Sling Adapter and Wireless USB connector from Dish last week, both arrived this morning. As with what seems like a LOT of other people, we're having connection issues. We can stream both Live TV and DVR recordings via Wi-Fi (Netgear N600 WNDR3700 Router) to our Android phones and iPod Touch 4, but not via PC or laptop. I've tried dish.sling.com and dishonline, and while both sites show the contents of the DVR, we're getting the following error messages: Via Dishonline.com : "Your computer was able to connect to your device, but the connection was interrupted. (Error 36) Please try connecting again"

Via dish.sling.com : "There was a problem connecting to your device (Error 2). Please try again later."

I know it was a long shot but I tried slingbox.com and my Sling Adapter (and 722k's name) were recognized with the following message:

"Your DISH Network SlingLoaded™ DVR can only be watched on DISH Remote Access and your compatible mobile device. Please log-in to www.dishnetwork.com and click on DISH Remote Access link."

I get the same results no matter what browser I use, having so far tried Firefox 9, Firefox 10, IE9, Chrome 15 and 17. I've been through all of the steps I can find online - most of them from threads on here from TG2 and others - and have tried everything from resetting the router and 722k to disabling anti-virus, reassigning IP addresses, ensuring UPnP is enabled, etc.

Also, when I go into the Menu and choose 6-1-8 then 4 (Web Activation), I'm constantly getting "Error 452 - Failed to activate receiver. Please try again later." Is that a related problem?

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm already sick to death of this.

Ooops, I thought I'd posted this into Dish Technical Issues. Could a Mod please move this? TIA

I am sorry that you are having a problem connecting with the sling on the PC & laptops in your home. Just to be sure, you have downloaded the Sling Plug-in? I would like you to log out completely of the dishonline, please. Using IE 7-9, or FF 3.5-8.0, please try to log back into the dishonline. Let me know and we will go from there. Thank you!

Thanks Mary. As an update, Matt G got me in the ballpark for getting this up and running. After he asked me whether or not I had anything blocking anonymous pings I disabled Windows Firewall and that let me view a DVR recording on dish.sling. However, when I switched over to dishonline I was back in the land of error messages and now can't get a connection again. I've just tried to add an exception to my Firewall settings (Enabling Incoming ICMP Echo messages) but that's made no difference.

I did download the Sling plug-in but haven't tried the older browsers yet since I wanted to get you a quick update. I'll find an older browser and post my results. Thanks!

EDIT: I've just noticed something interesting. Whether I'm on dish.sling or dishonline, everything that should be streaming in my web browser is actually taking place on TV2, so for example if I try to watch one of my DVR recordings online it plays it on TV2 instead and gives me one of the above error messages on my computer :confused:

Last edited:
Latest update:

I'm connecting with the Netgear WiFi BB Connector that I ordered from Dish at the same time as the Sling Adapter and am trying each of the following steps on both FF 3.5 and IE9

Now it's doing something a little different. Actually, a lot different. This has become a mess:

Dish.sling:

When I'm on dish.sling and I choose 'Play on TV' for any show, whether it's live or DVR, it plays on TV1 (I don't know if that's normal).
When I select 'Play on web' for any live show or DVR recording, TV2 will switch on and show whatever channel was playing before it was turned off

Dishonline:

When I'm on dishonline, selecting 'My Live TV' doesn't do anything anywhere (except bring up the Error 36 message in the browser again)

Playing any DVR recording on dishonline makes the recording play on TV2. Once that recording is playing back, nothing else will work remotely on TV2
If I turn the receiver off for TV2 and choose a program from the guide in dishonline, TV2 will start up but will show the live channel I was previously watching (what this means is that I can't watch ANY live TV via dishonline, either in my browser or physically on a TV here)

Disabling and/or enabling Windows Firewall and my Anti-Virus makes no difference.

Thanks.

Latest update is that after spending the day thinking this might be a router problem, my wife tried to sign in at her sister's place (so therefore off our home network) and got the same thing - couldn't connect but could see the contents of our DVR. When she tried to play a recording it went directly to our TV2.

Have no idea what your problem might be i would suggest starting from ground 0. Unplug everything, reboot, and start over. I don't think you mentioned if your wireless adapter and your SA were plugged directly into your receiver or if u were using a powered hub. If the later some have been problematic you might want to try it without using the hub to see if that is the issue.
Just so you know when you connect to your receiver through the SA it takes over TV2. So if you are succesfully watching program on a smart phone, tablet or PC, you should not see any programming on TV2.
Hope you resolve the issue

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Thanks Ross. Unfortunately starting over hasn't resolved the issue :( The wireless adapter and SA are both plugged directly into the 722k and I've tried alternating front and back USB port with each.

I just tried watching live TV on my Android phone and got a message on TV2 that Remote Viewing has been enabled. I should mention that that's with my phone using my home's Wi-Fi connection which would further suggest that it's not a Wi-Fi issue wouldn't it?

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks again.

Apologies if any of you have seen this elsewhere. I'm trying to get help from everywhere I can...

I've got a slight update. I've just bypassed the USB adapter and run a cable straight into my router with exactly the same results (other than a new IP address, natch). Did all the permutations - hooked it up with and without setting a static IP address, with and without Port Forwarding and with and without Anti-Virus and Firewall enabled (and every combination of those too). Still got the same error messages - able to connect but interrupted (Error 36) on DO, and problem connecting (Error 2) on dish.sling

I've really just about had it with this nonsense now. If I can't find a way of getting this working properly by Sunday evening it's going back on Monday and it's the last 'add-on' (including PPV) that I'll ever buy from Dish again. I'll also be making sure everyone I know knows about these problems.

Well I got 10 seconds of one of my recordings streaming earlier but can't replicate it. One thing I have noticed though is that when I sign into dishonline in IE I occasionally get a popup for ULead MP3 Codec with an OK button on it. If I don't click on OK, the window for the player goes blue with a black letterbox (as though I'm starting up a DVD) then freezes until I press OK, at which point I get 'Authorizing' then 'Connecting' before the usual error message.

300r1jl.jpg

I just posted this in another Forum but thought it important enough to share here...

So... I can finally report SUCCESS!

I called about having my 722k as my Primary Receiver. Following that, I made a change to my Anti-Virus properties. I'm running NOD32, and although I've been disabling it, this time I added an exception by doing the following:

Go into Advanced Setup > Web and email > Protocol Filtering > Excluded Applications

From there I checked the entry C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe, cleared my cookies & cache, restarted my browser and bingo - the Sling Adapter now streams to my PC! Now I don't know why I haven't been able to stream through DO on the two remote PC's I've tried - maybe an exception needed to be added to their av programs? I've also tried to find the same kind of exe file for Internet Explorer and Chrome with no success. Adding the exe files for both browsers lets me stream to them but I don't want the entire browsers to be added as exceptions to my anti-virus progs. If anyone can offer any thoughts on that, I'd be very grateful.

Finally I'll say this - the last Dish Rep that I spoke to told me categorically that the Sling Adapter and DO are 100% incompatible with 64bit browsers... the 'problem' with that is that I've now got this running through Firefox 10.0.1 64bit.

Anyway, thanks to those who have made suggestions and particular thanks to TG2 and MattG @ Dish

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)