Another splitter question.

telecaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I have a Legacy Dish 500 with a switch 21.
I want to hook up 2 rooms with this setup.
I know i could get another switch 21 and do it.
But could i use a power passing spitter successfully?
If so what kind of splitter?
Power passing on one side or both?

Thanks

RBBrittain said:
Splitters on legacy systems? Just like the Capital One commercial they ran to death during the Olympics: NO. Staaarrrt likin' it!

Hmmmm.....So it wont work ?

The thing that bothers me is that RIGHT NOW there's an active thread that answered his question 30 minutes before he asked it. And he MUST have read it - because the thread title is "ANOTHER" ...

EDIT: Oh - my bad I guess - I didn't say "and besides only doing this one thing, they only work with DishPro LNBFs"

SimpleSimon said:
The thing that bothers me is that RIGHT NOW there's an active thread that answered his question 30 minutes before he asked it. And he MUST have read it - because the thread title is "ANOTHER" ...

EDIT: Oh - my bad I guess - I didn't say "and besides only doing this one thing, they only work with DishPro LNBFs"

Exactly.......Also the other thread said nothing about what type of splitter.
Which was one of my questions..........Ohh well,didnt think i would offend YOU by asking this question.

Yeah - sorry - I just get so ticked about these splitters. All it does is confuse people and make them think satellite is "just like cable".

Okay, once and for all:

The ONLY lines in satellite that can be split are those carrying pure feed. NO splitters between the switch and the receivers.

1. 13/18VDC lines CAN be split, but ONLY if ONE power source is used and ONLY if the power level stays at that level such that it is kept on either left or right polarity. An example would be splitting the legacy 110 and 119 outputs to feed multiple switches or building what is euphamistically referred to as a "homemade 64".

2. Dish Pro lines CAN be split, but ONLY between the LNB assembly and the switches. Such as splitting the output of a twin to feed two or more chains of cascaded DP-34s.

Other than that, no. Splitters are for distribution from source to switches. Past that, DBS is a switched system and each receiver needs its own switch port dedicated to it.

There's such thing as transcoding from QPSK to QAM and putting a digital receiver at the far end which acts like a digital cable box and those lines can be split because they act like digital cable, but unless you're building your own private cable system and can afford thousands, it's not an option for you.

WaydWolf - I think you meant "Dual" in your item #2. "Twin"s have built-in switches and splitting them would be a problem. The power-passing side would have control of which bird it was sending at any given time. There might be some strange way to rig it up, but we both know there's no advantage in it other than for our own education.

To all: Bottom line - stay away from splitters except in certain very exceptional cases designed by someone that knows exactly why it should be done. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)