Another wireless question.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
I'm pretty adept with computers but wireless is my alkalies heal My primary router is a Linksys wrt54g with tomatoe. I have an old Netgear wgr614v5 laying around. Is there a way to set up the netgear as a repeater bridge for my 722K? If not, could I use it as primary and use the linksys as a bridge? Any links or advice would be appreciated.

As far as I can tell, the Netgear doesn't have any bridge capability, and it definitely doesn't have any WDS support. That being said, if your Linksys can function as a gaming adapter type bridge, use the Netgear as your main router and the Linksys on the 722 end.

Miner

Another, another

Due to layout and construction oddities in my 100+ years home, I cannot get a straight shot wireless signal to my 722K and can not run Cat to it. Question is, how many bridges (Linksys wrt54g) can be used. I would have to do one of two things. 3 routers, primary, bridge at point A, and bridge next to the 722K.

Second would be same as above but no third router, rather a wireless USB adapter (the Netgear). Which would be the better/more reliable choice?

I would think you could just use as many bridges as you want, if a laptop can connect to a bridge which can connect to a router why can't a bridge connect to a bridge? You are limited to about 100 devices (computers, bridges, routers, etc) on a standard LAN before making subnets for your home network. Don't take my word for it ask a manufacturer if it is a possible scenario. Linksys and Dlink are both great companies for this kind of thing. One thing I will say for sure is the more routers you have the slower everything gets.

Due to layout and construction oddities in my 100+ years home, I cannot get a straight shot wireless signal to my 722K and can not run Cat to it. Question is, how many bridges (Linksys wrt54g) can be used. I would have to do one of two things. 3 routers, primary, bridge at point A, and bridge next to the 722K.

Second would be same as above but no third router, rather a wireless USB adapter (the Netgear). Which would be the better/more reliable choice?

DD-WRT on the 54 GL has a repeater function in it. You would still good speed when you got to the 722K. What is your internet speed? 3 repeats on DD-WRT can still easily deliver 5 Meg bidirectional sustained. I run repeaters like this at work and that system has been up for almost a year with no reboots.

And one more time!

OK, picked up a wrt54gs today, used. Currently my primary router (connected to computer) is a wrt54gl with tomato. I will have to put ddwrt on the gs since tomato does no support it (v6). My question, whichever one I decide to be my remote unit, what setting to use? In addition to connecting it to the 722K, I want it to be an access point for laptop as well. In tomato, there is a WDS + access point option, wireless ethernet bridge, and wireless client. Which one do I use???? I'm pretty sure I don't want client.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)