Answer from Dish on 501/510 Timer Problems

jkohnman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Wow, I gotta say, this impressed me. I sent the email (all the way down, figure you want the answer first). Within 2-3 hours she left a VM on my home phone, I wasn't home yet. Here is the email she sent as a follow up. SatelliteGuy moderator I also posted this in my thread about problems with the timers, thought more would be interested in the answers than the other thread. Hope it's okay
Jim,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. I attempted to contact you at your residence but was unsuccessful. However, I left you a voice mail.

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with your DVR timers. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the software patch we issued to ensure your receiver correctly switched to Daylight Savings Time on the new date. However, our Software Engineering group will send a software fix either tonight or tomorrow night that will correct the problem. Please make sure your receiver is placed into standby each night to be sure it takes the update. once you have received the new timer You will need to delete and reset your event timers.

If you would like to discuss this matter further. You may contact me at BLANKED OUT. My hours are 11:00 to 7:30(MST) Tues-Sat.

Thanks REPS NAME
This is the mail I wrote them:
Sirs,

I just wanted to make my concerns as a very long term subscriber known. I've always been very happy with Dish and have recommended it to many people. You've always been at the lead of what is new and fun with TV & "Cable", and I've enjoyed that.

However recently I've had more problems due to software changes that you've been making to the 510/501 PVR's. Mine have served well, and I've enjoyed them for most of the time we've had them.

Beginning with the upgrade where the 'downloaded' movies were put in, each upgrade has caused problems. A few of the issues I've had.

1. Slow response on the remote
2. Timers recording normal, but then only having 2 minutes of the show available.
3. Timers not working at all
4. Newest problem all the times off by one hour

I follow Dish Network on sites like the SatelliteGuys.us etc, and know I'm not the only one having these issues. In the past I've over looked most of these as being that it's "new" stuff and things are bound to happen. However, the last 2 or 3 months, there have been a number of issues all clustered together and I'm really getting upset at having to wonder if my shows will be recorded or not. If I were seeing new features, such as name based recording, I might be willing to overlook things as 'working out the kinks'. But since I'm not getting new features and my box was stable for a long time, all this seems to be doing is forcing problems on me for no apparent reason.

Today I called Tech Support, who knew there is a problem, but I had already done all of the troubleshooting they were asking for, and the response was I might need a new box. Since I do read & post online, I know there are a lot of people suddenly having the same problem. I don't blame the Tech person, but I do wonder why the powers that be don't communicate the problem and an expected resolution to the Tech people. Also I spent an hour last night deleting and resetting all my timers, thinking I'd just 'bite the bullet' and do it, only to find out this morning that it was all off by an hour AGAIN.

I just want to watch TV, not troubleshoot my PVR. Since getting the 501 and then later, the 510, many choices have come on to market. This recent bout with problems has made me wonder if I should not begin exploring what options I have now.

Never with any of the problems, when I've called in, have I been offered any credit for my time and effort with the problems. I'm not asking for any now, but I'm am getting very disappointed in my recent service with these problems. I just want my box to work, and I'd like if you could stop making changes that are not very urgent, and then only if well tested.

Thanks

I really hope 3.68 fixes the problem but look at how many software updates are out there:

"At this time P3.65, P3.66, P3.67, P3.68 will be the valid software versions for the 501/508/510."

They have no freaking clue on how to fix the 5xx receivers anymore. These receivers were very stable receivers and now everything is going down hill with all these software updates. :mad:

I really hope 3.68 fixes the problem but look at how many software updates are out there:

"At this time P3.65, P3.66, P3.67, P3.68 will be the valid software versions for the 501/508/510."

They have no freaking clue on how to fix the 5xx receivers anymore. These receivers were very stable receivers and now everything is going down hill with all these software updates. :mad:

I think they hired the Microsoft team that was keeping win 98 updated.:D

brought with them the Windows ME team.:)

Then its worse than I thought!

But maybe hiring a couple Apple people wouldn't hurt. :)

As for Apple people, neah, when apple did there own OS, it was worse than windows. Like 7.5 for instance, It required a monthly reinstall almost. And OS X was and is a free OS (Mach OS is what came before Openstep that apple used to build Darwin) except Apple put a new GUI on it.

If only apple finished Project Star Trek ( 3 years before windows 95 ) , we may have Macs more than Windows now. The project's slogan was "To boldly go where no Mac has gone before."

Sorry bout that :) I'll stop now.

Spooling today:

PID: 0861h, ID: 6USD, FW: P368, Model: PVR501.34318843-36860218, 39750000-53413907, 60399000-64350065
PID: 0869h, ID: 6VSD, FW: P368, Model: PVR501.

Received P368 just now, which fixed the problem with the timers being moved one hour earlier each time the receiver was rebooted.
(One will still have to edit the timers to fix them, but after receiving P368, those timers will stay at the same times).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)