Answered My Own Question Dish Anywhere

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tornado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Tulsa
The Dish Anywhere application works good. I thought Dish Anywhere used Sling technology to stream the programming from the Hopper to the application, but I was wrong. There is an exception to this rule, I think. OTA chanels are streamed. Before I investigated this on the Hopper receiver, by looking at TV Activity, I thought channels were streamed from my Hopper. It appears TV channels are not streamed from the Hopper to the Dish Anywhere application. I'm with an ISP that charges for data and I thought I could watch Dish Anywhere in the home on my local network without using data because it was on the local network. The channels are not coming from my Hopper. I was wrong.

Wait a minute. I didn’t do a search before I posted. I see another thread where the discussion is about bandwidth and picture quality. Am I wrong about all this. My own unscientific testing concluded that channels were not being streamed from the Hopper in my home except OTA. Am I wrong? I hate coming to a wrong conclusion like this. Please accept my apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish Anywhere uses the Sling technology and streams from the Hopper. It also has On Demand selections available that don't come from the Hopper but all the normal stuff comes from the Hopper.

Last edited:
Dish Anywhere uses the Sling technology and streams from the Hopper. It also has On Demand selections available that don't come from the Hopper but all the normal stuff comes from the Hopper.
WOW! I don't know what I was doing. I was running the Dish Anywhere application, or so I thought, on android, within my home, and I looked at TV Activity on the Hopper and did not see where the channel I thought I was watching on Dish Anywhere was showing up on TV Activity on the Hopper as being streamed. Now I see it though. I must have been doing something wrong.
My real question is, "When I watch a channel on the Dish Anywhere application in my home on the same local network as my Hopper is the program being streamed from the Hopper being uploaded outside the home and then being downloaded back inside the home, or is it all staying within the home on the local network that both devices are connected to?" This is relevant to me because I don't want to use data from my internet plan.

If you have the "Live Streaming" feature turned on in DishAnywhere, those channels are streamed from the Internet, not from your Hopper.
Maybe, I had the "Live Streaming" feature turned on in DishAnywhere and the channel was being streamed from the internet. I don't want to use data if possible with DishAnywhere. Is it possible not to use your data with DishAnywhere when you are in your home streaming on the same local network as the Hopper?

We use the DishAnywhere app on a FireTVstick connected to our bedroom TV to stream from the Hopper connected to our main TV. As long as we make sure the Hopper and Firestick are on the same local network, the only plan data we use is a small amount when DA logs in. The streaming program data does not count against the plan. Make sure your router does not have user isolation enabled.

WOW! I don't know what I was doing. I was running the Dish Anywhere application, or so I thought, on android, within my home, and I looked at TV Activity on the Hopper and did not see where the channel I thought I was watching on Dish Anywhere was showing up on TV Activity on the Hopper as being streamed. Now I see it though. I must have been doing something wrong.
My real question is, "When I watch a channel on the Dish Anywhere application in my home on the same local network as my Hopper is the program being streamed from the Hopper being uploaded outside the home and then being downloaded back inside the home, or is it all staying within the home on the local network that both devices are connected to?" This is relevant to me because I don't want to use data from my internet plan.

When you stream on your local network from the Hopper the content does not go out to the internet. The internet is used for authentication but the content stays local. For example when I stream locally from the Hopper I usually get about an 8 meg stream which would be impossible if it went out over the internet on my .6 DSL upload speed. :)

We use the DishAnywhere app on a FireTVstick connected to our bedroom TV to stream from the Hopper connected to our main TV. As long as we make sure the Hopper and Firestick are on the same local network, the only plan data we use is a small amount when DA logs in. The streaming program data does not count against the plan. Make sure your router does not have user isolation enabled.

When you stream on your local network from the Hopper the content does not go out to the internet. The internet is used for authentication but the content stays local. For example when I stream locally from the Hopper I usually get about an 8 meg stream which would be impossible if it went out over the internet on my .6 DSL upload speed. :)

This is good. This is the answer to the question I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts