Any 942 HD subs ready to revolt yet or should we wait until tommorow?

Ilya said:
I doubt you will be able to sell the 942 for $400, as from what others posted, Dish will no longer activate 942 for HD programming...

Also wouldn't that be just as unethical as Dish is treating us by not telling someone they would not be able to subscribe to HD programming with it?

True indeed since it would be interesting to see how the CSR's will sell the new HD packs to people who will only receive partial programing at full price.

waltinvt said:
I've got to stop giving "E" the benifit of the doubt. It burns me every time. I really didn't think they would be this stupid. Deep down, I really figured they'd make the new channels available on MPEG2 receivers since they've admitted MPEG4 is NOT ready yet.

Snip

Of course there's always the option of scraping your chance at the 622 promo and settle for the non DVR 211 promo now.

And you know what's amazing, there will be people on this list that will be taking issue with what I'm saying.

Walt, you know how much I agree with you on this issue! Yes, I am very irritated. I called Verizion yesterday after looking at their website to get more info on FiOS in my area. DirecTV is also something I have looked at in the past couple of weeks. So I am looking at other options. I am definately NOT upgrading any of my Dish equipment right now. I really think the price increase for the new HD package is high. Add in the getting totally screwed over my 942, and Dish has made me very unhappy. I keep finding the idea that I can't even receive all the channels on my new (about 6 months old) HD top-of-the-line (as of 2 days ago) receiver just plain idiotic! Especially when you consider Dish isn't even broadcasting those channels in MPEG4!!

Having said that, none of the other alternatives look any better to me, literally or figuratively! Direct, FiOS, cable... not as appealing. So even though I am pissed at Dish, as of today I still subscribe. But they have lost me as an advocate, and they have lost my loyalty. I know several people who have Dish because of my past recommendation... that will not happen again. In fact, I will warn off some because of what I have experienced.

In the short term, I think my situation is the type that encourages Dish to do exactly what they are doing. I did not cancel today, I am still paying my bill every month, and they are not spending any extra to give me equipment or programming. A good deal for them. My actions don't motivate them to act in a different manner. However, in the long run, I think it will hurt them. There will be many of us out here that feel taken advantage of, and we will jump at the chance to get something better or cheaper when it does come along.

If the protest ever gets organized I will be at the front of the line! Until then, I will try to remember that the poor 921 owners really got screwed, and wonder why I didn't learn from their mistake!!!

8ohms said:
Man! There is alot of pissed E* customer here who are about to become ex customers. I already switched two weeks ago and send their faulty 811 back today. Got Comcast now and while not completely happy with the PQ of the none HD channels I do love the PQ of the HD and the duel tuner DVR Motorola 9612 receiver. Best of all I am paying 1/3 less than with E* and have local in HD. American Idol looks fantastic on FOX.

Can you help me understand this a bit more.
I currently subscribe to AEP, 3 dvr's (1*942, 2*5xx), HD pak, Locals. Monthly Cost. $102
For the same configuration at Comcast the monthly (off their website) is $164.05 (with a total of over $50 for extra dvr's and converter boxes)+ one time setup fees Total $114.97 (much less than $299 and a Little more than $99)

Did you only have one 811 that you swapped or did you reduce the number of sets you support ? Your numbers and mine are so different i am thinking i missed something.

I am a 942 user and have like Walt, been giving dish the benefit of the doubt, but the plea to have the new channels available and now i hear i cant even get the Olympics, both major let downs. I am seriously re-looking at this.

I agree with everyone that this 622 deal royally sucks. I've written the CEO address on 2 occasions, got cussed out by a CSR in the "Executive Office" for even making the suggestion that this deal was raw and have been thoroughly ignored by Dish over my many complaints about the current upgrade offering. I'm sitting here trying to think of reasons to stay with Dish, but I can't really come up with much... FiOS will be in my neighborhood within the next month. That's looking like a great option to me.

Does anybody know of another email address other than ceo@dishnetwork.com where they actually might pay attention to complaints and problems? I can't get a response at all regarding my complaint about getting screamed at by a CSR...

It's been a loooong day and I think I'm still in denial that 942 subs just plain can not see the new HD channels until they pay some kind of extorition penalty to Dish.

As near as I can tell, here are our options (verified by Dish's exec offices today):

1. Just go without the new HD for at least 2 more months until the $200 rebate deal starts April 1st + how ever long it takes to physically get the unit in your house.

2. Give up any chance at the $200 rebate and order a 622 now, knowing full well it's probably still going to be a while before most of us see it (I know that remains to be seen but I bet we're realistically talking March)

3. Order under the 211 promo now and not only lose the $200 / 622 rebate deal but also the regular $299 / 622 deal as they'll only do one upgrade per year.

4. Pay full retail for a 211 now ($ 380 to $400).

8ohms said:
Man! There is alot of pissed E* customer here who are about to become ex customers. I already switched two weeks ago and send their faulty 811 back today. Got Comcast now and while not completely happy with the PQ of the none HD channels I do love the PQ of the HD and the duel tuner DVR Motorola 9612 receiver. Best of all I am paying 1/3 less than with E* and have local in HD. American Idol looks fantastic on FOX.

E* is just being stupid the way they treat their long time subscribers. They think nothing of the customers, just the money they can make. In the long run the customers will decide how much they make selling the same equipment for hundreds of dollars that you can get from Comcast and others for almost free.

What about me? I would like to receive HD international programming and I've heard NO provider probably short of C-Band will offer it and that's a maybe I'm sure plus I don't have the option. Best option for me will probably end up being IPTV or maybe not because it'll end up being community dependent channels and most Koreans in this area don't have HD I'm sure. Sad thing about this is Dish and everyone else providing these channels STANDARD for the MPEG4 HD would provide some of the more compelling content based upon how some loop.
Let's break the channels down ok?
TNT HD-Stretchovision with only a few select programs like BBall games and movies in HD as well as maybe some stuff like L&O.
HDNet-Seems to offer the best variety out of ALL of these as well as being commercial free in a way. Mark advertises for his movies and HDNet shows exclusively on this channel.
HDMovies-Loops a lot but I'm willing to be loose on Mark here. Commercial free.
VOOM-Native HD but loops a lot from what I've heard.
Universal HD-Looked at the schedule and from a glance seem repeats the same show twice a day. Don't know about Sports but that's what people seem to like about it.
ESPN HD-Some of this is HD, I'm assuming all in-house since they have good money behind them as well as some games. Also other programming is upconverted. This is what I'm hearing and I'm speculating about the in-house sh*t.
ESPN2 HD-Pretty much the same as ESPN HD.
Food Network HD-Possible win here with shows being filmed in native HD for like a year beforehand so there may not be a lot of repeating.
HGTV HD-Same as Food Network I'm thinking.
SBS HD-I have a feeling some upconverts and true HD programming in Primetime, think Networks. Repeat for MBC and KBS HD. Some people have even basically labeled percentagewise most of the HD programming they're watching is OTA.
MHD-Not bad sounding in terms of new shows but I don't watch much MTV, VH1 or GAC. Some old concerts, if remastered well, sound good, think VH1 Classic.
TV Tokyo HD-I'm thinking almost ALL HD, new all the time pretty much except the reruns which are expected on Network and Cable. I say this because I hear Anime is being filmed in HD and downgraded here which makes it a perfect medium to present over here for HD though I think this could be folded into Animania HD perfectly.
Sorry about going on, just thought I'd clarify why some of the foreign HD channels would be desirable with a subtitled feed to MPEG4 peeps and to add some honest ammunition to what's seeming to be a pretty weak set of offerings for new programming with some exceptions, most of which haven't arrived yet. Basically I'm saying it seems you're not missing much, sadly enough. I was one person saying I'd like to get UHD which is a deal without local and Platinum but after looking at the programming as I said before it's looking less appealing even though there's some stuff I'd really like to watch. I also don't see why Dish can't pick up MHD now since it's already launched and Dish even said they were going to carry Food and HGTV HD as well as Scripps HD too(I think? for Scripps) on their launch I thought.

DucTape said:
True indeed since it would be interesting to see how the CSR's will sell the new HD packs to people who will only receive partial programing at full price.
The way Scott told it a few weeks ago, they won't even ACTIVATE HD Mpeg2 receivers now. Has this changed?

At this point in time, isn't anyone wanting the full HD Pack with a DVR pretty much SOL? Best case scenario is hoping to get hooked up within a month if you call today.

Sort of amazing that this is the case in Feb 2006 when Dish was a early leader in providing both SD DVRs and HD DVRs.

waltinvt said:
It's been a loooong day and I think I'm still in denial that 942 subs just plain can not see the new HD channels until they pay some kind of extorition penalty to Dish.

As near as I can tell, here are our options (verified by Dish's exec offices today):

1. Just go without the new HD for at least 2 more months until the $200 rebate deal starts April 1st + how ever long it takes to physically get the unit in your house.

2. Give up any chance at the $200 rebate and order a 622 now, knowing full well it's probably still going to be a while before most of us see it (I know that remains to be seen but I bet we're realistically talking March)

3. Order under the 211 promo now and not only lose the $200 / 622 rebate deal but also the regular $299 / 622 deal as they'll only do one upgrade per year.

4. Pay full retail for a 211 now ($ 380 to $400).
If you have a 942 seems the only logical and smart thing to do (if you stay with these bozos) is wait till April. They do not even have enough 622's if you even ordered and paid the full price now. You most likely wait at least a month from what we are hearing, correct? Soem giy was saying he oreded now for an Apriul instal of a 622. Nice but thy charge you CC now. No how dumb is that?

942 OTA Without any HD Packs - Experiences?

Question for 942 Owners (not leased):

Do you have OTA (Over The Air) HD with Channel Mapping when no HD Programming has been purchased? I think I understand that the OTA channels can be mapped to show up but no EPG Guide Data will show up. I assume if this is the case that manual timers could be used to record OTA channels?

Thanks a bunch! Looking to purchase a 942 for SD and OTA only, mainly for the Pocketdish USB 2.0 download ability.

gbjbany said:
Can you help me understand this a bit more.
I currently subscribe to AEP, 3 dvr's (1*942, 2*5xx), HD pak, Locals. Monthly Cost. $102
For the same configuration at Comcast the monthly (off their website) is $164.05 (with a total of over $50 for extra dvr's and converter boxes)+ one time setup fees Total $114.97 (much less than $299 and a Little more than $99)

Did you only have one 811 that you swapped or did you reduce the number of sets you support ? Your numbers and mine are so different i am thinking i missed something.

I am a 942 user and have like Walt, been giving dish the benefit of the doubt, but the plea to have the new channels available and now i hear i cant even get the Olympics, both major let downs. I am seriously re-looking at this.

I had the 811 and 522. I was having lots of problem lately because of the wind and rain. It was difficult to get a lock on 119 west. Comcast guy comes to me door just in time and offered me basic cable for two rooms and a DVR for $37 bucks. I said how much for two Motorola 6412 DVR and basic service for one TV. He said 9 buck more monthly. I took that deal:up for a one year sub. The total bill is about $54 a month now. With E* it was about $90 with the POS:mad: 811. Don't be afraid to go somewhere else like I use to be. You do have a choice. But I know it hard to give up 25 HD channel offer. I just hope the Cable companies will catch up soon.

Unlike the vast majority of folks here I just bought the demo 942 from Dishstore knowing full well about the 622. I only want to record OTA HD since that is the bulk of my viewing. The rest of the channels can be SD. I've seen a 942 in action and it upconverts the SD channels to 720p (or 1080i) and they look much better than what my 522 could produce so that will hold me over for a few years.

The only benefit the 622 offered me was the bigger hard drive and ability to watch the 'new' channels in HD. Since I'm in the Bay Area I get stellar reception of my locals in HD. I also subscribe to locals from E* so they 'should' be mapped into my EPG. The downside to the 622 is the $6.00 "because we can" HD access fee and the fact that early models appear to be fire traps through the HDMI port.

My best guess is that the 942's will become cheap in the short run as they flood eBay but then they will become scarce and expensive like the 508 due to the mandatory HD fee. Some folks like me just want to record OTA HD.

I can always jump on the $200 rebate program in April if I need to.

I'll be hooking up and activating it tonight so we'll see what kind of grief (if any) the CSR's give me about activating a "legacy" machine.

Last edited:
As I posted over on another thread...

I am looking to acquire a 942 (no real need for HD ... until the basement is finished ... )

More so I can use it for the USB 2.0 Pocekt Dish downloads...

So... when a 942 is ready to be let loose .. just let me know ..

Ted..

waltinvt said:
That should be grounds for a lawsuit.

hinesite being 20/20 when we started to hear rumors about this comming down, we all should of sold them off on ebay before this came official. but as i said, thats looking back after the fact now. boy im glad i dumped e* about a month ago. and now i know i will NEVER look back, even if sbc/at&t offers their programing for FREE.

ItsDon said:
I'll be hooking up and activating it tonight so we'll see what kind of grief (if any) the CSR's give me about activating a "legacy" machine.

Don, I am very curious to know what response you get when you do the activation. Please let us know what happens! Thanks!!! :)

Reading these posts, I'm very grateful I didn't get a 942, because now I have no difficulty in turning in my leased 811 and 508, and make the jump to cable, which in my area (San Diego) costs me less than E*'s new metallic HD price structure (and that's not even counting the 622 $300 upgrade fee).

Cox SD: full cable - $42; digital with 3 channel packages - $13; HD DVR rental/HD programing (7 national channels + 1 RSN + 6 locals)- $9; DVR fee $10; HBO - $11. TOTAL $85.

E*: Gold HD package (AT180 w/locals which is equivalent to digital cable package + 7 HD channels I want + 15 VOOM channels I don't want) $75; DVR fee $6; HBO $14; TOTAL $95

Now who's the PIG I am feeding? (Don't even get me started on how much I'll be saving on high-speed internet service)

Last edited:
mwgiii said:
DWS44, at least 942 owners are second class citizens. 921 owners are not even acknowledged.
now I really feel like a big, juicy, steaming, stepped-on turd...cuz I have 1 of each :what

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts