Any 942 HD subs ready to revolt yet or should we wait until tommorow?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I've got to stop giving "E" the benifit of the doubt. It burns me every time. I really didn't think they would be this stupid. Deep down, I really figured they'd make the new channels available on MPEG2 receivers since they've admitted MPEG4 is NOT ready yet.

They sold / leased thousands of 942s in '05 with the understanding that we'd be getting more HD, including the remainder of the 21 Voom channels by the end of the year. That was a lie.

They even said on a recent Tech Chat and to many customers via tech csrs that MPEG4 was NOT ready and wouldn't be for a while. That was NOT a lie because it really isn't ready yet.

After all the promises and "baiting" when the time really does come for the new HD channels we that have 942s are not allowed to get them for who knows how long.

They've taken these new promised HD channels and "doctored" them up so only MPEG4 receivers can see them and then tell is if we want the new channels and still have an HD DVR, we need to pay $300 and then get put on a waiting list for what appears to be a long time. If we want to save $200 of that $300, we can wait until April to get on that waiting list.

Of course there's always the option of scraping your chance at the 622 promo and settle for the non DVR 211 promo now.

And you know what's amazing, there will be people on this list that will be taking issue with what I'm saying.

You are absolutely right. This company has shown a total lack of respect for their current customers. I guess there is always DirecTV or cable. I still think DirecTV will catch up to Dish in HD within a year.

Lucky said:
You are absolutely right. This company has shown a total lack of respect for their current customers. I guess there is always DirecTV or cable. I still think DirecTV will catch up to Dish in HD within a year.

No they wont. It will be 2007 before Rupert catches up. At this moment I am so jealous of you E* guys. More channels, great PQ compared to the little bit of channels with crappy HD PQ D* is giving me.

vurbano said:
No they wont. It will be 2007 before Rupert catches up. At this moment I am so jealous of you E* guys. More channels, great PQ compared to the little bit of channels with crappy HD PQ D* is giving me.

Last I heard 2007 is one year away. That is what I meant.

I don't know why folks complain about the PQ of D*'s HD. I find it decent and hope there's more to come. It will be interesting to see what the lease program will be when it shows up in March. And with the rumor of a required new dish for HD subs, I think more is coming soon.

In the meantime, in December, I wanted to get an HD PVR. The best Dish could do was $599. I'd subbed for many years with AEP, and they wanted to stick me with that deal? I can only imagine how pissed I'd be if I bought that deal, then found this out.

I tend to agree with an earlier thread about d* calling Voom crap. I had the initial package with 10 channels and there was nothing there after I got through the first loop of programming that interested me. I can't imagine that more Voom channels will be worth the effort.

Bought a 811 on ebay when Voom became available - $200
Subbed to HD only - $20
Sold the 811 on ebay after learning of the lease trade in option - $-200
Cancelling DishNet - $-20

Enjoying 50 additional channels on my sets and HD via a cable card in full 1920X1080 for about $25 - priceless

$200 from the 811 going towards the HTPC upgrade

As in my sig...us 942 owners are now officially second class citizens...we don't mean a damn thing to E*...that is abundantly clear now.

digiblur: congrats on your new cable...glad it works for you...some of us don't have that option.

Not that it'll do a dang bit of good, but I fired off my email to CEO. I waited patiently to see if this madness would continue. Now that it has..the gloves came off.

Last edited:
Do you want to revolt? Needs planning to do it right!

Ideally, tomorrow would be the best day to revolt, as it is going to be a hectic one for echostar to begin with.

There are 36k members here, and to be effective, you need a planned strike. Someone needs to plan the day and the time.

Here is the point... There are 36k members, do you think they have 36k CSRs? I don't think so. If a strategic hour to jam their phone lines is determined (a time when they are very busy or a time when they have the least CSRs), a point could be made. It costs them money to pay all of those CSRs. Of course, E* reads these messages, so you need a large level of coordination and cooperation to pull it off.

I think that E*'s bread and butter maket is international subscriptions. A lot of those people pay through the nose for the programming morsels they receive. It seems that E* thinks they can do the same tactic to the rest of their customers. They play hardball with everyone, their providers, and their customers.

If you want to revolt, that is one way to do it. Any other ideas on how to get your point heard?

mwgiii said:
DWS44, at least 942 owners are second class citizens. 921 owners are not even acknowledged.

:D :D :D You guy make me smile this evening. I had a such a long day and have been quietly reading this. As an owner of a 942, I am also not happy with E*. I am waiting until April 1st until I could get into the $99 offer. Then I will have a few decisions to make about packages and eliminate one subscribption of service --- D*...;)

As I discussed in another thread a couple of weeks ago, I was in position at my company to influence the selection of D* or E* for corporate use (10 receivers feeding several A/V rooms and private offices). The ultimate end users favored D* but didn't have solid reasons as to why we couldn't consider E*.

Today I went ahead and approved the contract to D*. To hell with E*. If I had seen better customer service out of E* in the past few months, I may have made the effort to throw the contract their way.

I already sold my 942 and I will not be replacing it with anything on my account, thats my answer

what my modified 6000 can't receiver I won't be getting, because of Dish's treatment of sub's like me(which is alot) I am planning on dumping Dish this year, around june, my 130$ a month will be better spent elsewhere

-Gary

mwgiii said:
DWS44, at least 942 owners are second class citizens. 921 owners are not even acknowledged.

AMEN BROTHER!!!! Had to BUY a 921 because I couldn't afford to BUY the 942 ($700) and they would not let me lease. BTW.....this was in September 05 so think how screwed I feel!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a vip622 for $700.00 and sell my 942 on ebay.....which I own.

Hopefully I can get at least 400.00 out of my 942.:(

I was going to keep my leased 942 for now and lease a 622 for $299. Then sell my
501 to offset the $299 fee a bit. I don't like the fact that they'll charge my CC right after I hang up. Who knows when the 622 will actually be available. Instead, I sent an email to the CEO address. Just curious if I'll even get a response.

Man! There is alot of pissed E* customer here who are about to become ex customers. I already switched two weeks ago and send their faulty 811 back today. Got Comcast now and while not completely happy with the PQ of the none HD channels I do love the PQ of the HD and the duel tuner DVR Motorola 9612 receiver. Best of all I am paying 1/3 less than with E* and have local in HD. American Idol looks fantastic on FOX.

E* is just being stupid the way they treat their long time subscribers. They think nothing of the customers, just the money they can make. In the long run the customers will decide how much they make selling the same equipment for hundreds of dollars that you can get from Comcast and others for almost free.

John Corn said:
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a vip622 for $700.00 and sell my 942 on ebay.....which I own.

Hopefully I can get at least 400.00 out of my 942.:(
I doubt you will be able to sell the 942 for $400, as from what others posted, Dish will no longer activate 942 for HD programming...

Ilya said:
I doubt you will be able to sell the 942 for $400, as from what others posted, Dish will no longer activate 942 for HD programming...

I don't know about that. As late as this morning, some "Authorized Dish dealers" and others were getting upwards of $500 for them.

Without, of course, telling any of their victims about the limitations of this fine machine.

Shame on them.

tunagimp said:
I don't know about that. As late as this morning, some "Authorized Dish dealers" and others were getting upwards of $500 for them.

Without, of course, telling any of their victims about the limitations of this fine machine.

Shame on them.

That should be grounds for a lawsuit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)