Moving to new house should I upgrade to the Hopper Plus yet?

jcoppola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Charleston, SC
Long time Sat Guys member and over 20 year dish customer. Very happy with my Hopper Joey system but the wife still strugles with changing inputs to get to the Roku and having all her stuff on one page would be nice. Been reading about all the issues with the Plus, if I get the morning black screen or constant rebooting I will be toast! Has the stability improved to the point that if any of you moved to a new house, would you upgrade the the Plus. Thanks guys, really respect all your help and advise over the years.

Reactions: charlesrshell
This is a tough one, as it is a lot better then it was at release. And for many they run fine with almost no issues... but for others there are a lot of reboots and blank screens and there is no rhyme or reason to it.

What I did for mine is I took a Wireless Joey 4 and hooked it to the same TV my wife watches and made that the main input. When she wasnt watching TV I would use the Plus to report issues to DISH, but when it came time to watch TV for her I flipped the input again and she thought she was using the Hopper Plus.

Once the Hopper Plus got stable enough for me, I took out the WIreless Joey 4 and put it back in my kids room. She never noticed she was on anything different and thought she was using the Hopper Plus the entire time. We have had some hickups but nothing major. Ultimately my wife is my tempature guage on how things are running. (And my kids are my guage for how my internet and network are running) :D

for me it still real buggy. When you first turn on the tv your stuck with a black screen. You can click the home button like the tech said then go back but still nothing. you can then click on the guide and go to another channel other than the one you are on and it'll sometimes start up fine. It's been a pain I won't lie.

for me it still real buggy. When you first turn on the tv your stuck with a black screen. You can click the home button like the tech said then go back but still nothing. you can then click on the guide and go to another channel other than the one you are on and it'll sometimes start up fine. It's been a pain I won't lie.
Thanks for the feedback. Moving in in 2 weeks. Have not called Dish yet. A couple of questions:

1. Will they easiily reinstall my stuff like they have when I moved in the past or will they try to move me the the Hopper Plus system?

2. If I keep my Hopper 3 will they let me upgrade my 4K Joeys to Joey 4s so I can get channel 540 and actually watch 4K on those TVs?

3. Do the Joey 4s offer some Android TV capabilities when hooked to a regular Hopper 3?

Thanks!

I just had that in our office. Turned on to black screen, hit home, then guide and now it's all working

Thanks for the feedback. Moving in in 2 weeks. Have not called Dish yet. A couple of questions:

1. Will they easiily reinstall my stuff like they have when I moved in the past or will they try to move me the the Hopper Plus system?

2. If I keep my Hopper 3 will they let me upgrade my 4K Joeys to Joey 4s so I can get channel 540 and actually watch 4K on those TVs?

3. Do the Joey 4s offer some Android TV capabilities when hooked to a regular Hopper 3?

Thanks!
No, they won't
No, the will not set up orders for Jopey 4's without the Plus, but get the Plus and take it out, use the Hpopper as normal and have AndroidOS on the Joeys
Yes - Fully installed AndroidOS on the Joey 4's. The Hopper+ is only for adding AndroidOS to the Hopper itself

No, they won't
No, the will not set up orders for Jopey 4's without the Plus, but get the Plus and take it out, use the Hpopper as normal and have AndroidOS on the Joeys
Yes - Fully installed AndroidOS on the Joey 4's. The Hopper+ is only for adding AndroidOS to the Hopper itself
Thanks, that sounds like what Scott mentioned but I wasn't quite following!

Don’t bother. Mine has never worked and is sitting in a closet. The Joey 4s are great, but the H+ is the biggest failure dish has ever put out. It’s hard to believe they really paid some OEM to crank out E-Waste.

Don’t bother. Mine has never worked and is sitting in a closet. The Joey 4s are great, but the H+ is the biggest failure dish has ever put out. It’s hard to believe they really paid some OEM to crank out E-Waste.
Not sure how long it's been in a closet but there's been some updates sent out to it that have fixed many of the issues

Can most customers call for a Plus and get it at no charge? Or only when something else is being installed?

Still requires a truck roll?

Can most customers call for a Plus and get it at no charge? Or only when something else is being installed?

It would probably require a truck roll. Especially if you don’t have Joey fours because Dish wouldn’t want to upgrade the ones you have.

I was calling Loyalty about another family member's account.Happened to ask about the +.Got it no charge-no commitment.
Installer showed up on time-was a pleasant young man.It was his first install of a + but it went smoothly enough-he only had to call for help once.
He said he was one of 3 installers-in a perfect world(where work orders are done next day) there would be 9 of him.Also people above him were very thin.
He liked his immediate boss but was leaving Dish shortly anyways.He said Spectrum paid better and he got ticked when he got scheduled to work on a day he had requested off long ago.(He had rented a garage so he could work on his car that desperately needed work).
I gave him a tip and wished him luck. Promised to give him a 10 on his survey but never saw one in my email.