Any 942 HD subs ready to revolt yet or should we wait until tommorow?

pocketdish

What about us fools who got a pocketdish along with a 942 in mid December. So far the 942 is the only one that does high speed transfers..

Well it looks like the first class will have to wait a bit longer then they thought. The 622 installs are being pushed back at least two week some into march. Man welcome to E*!!

Somebody mentioned that the Olympics won't be available to anyone without the new receivers. Is that true?

Don't feel too bad. This just happened to me: partly because I was assured by my local authorized dealer than ESPN2 and Universal would be MPEG 2, I bought 942 day after Christmas for full retail. Dish wouldn't give me any kind of deal. I noticed a bad technical problem with it, and also followed all the recent events, becoming more mad all the time. I finally got them to send me a replacement 942. It arrives and...IT'S A REMANUFACTURED MACHINE. Unbelieveable. In addition to the hours on the phone getting authorization to return the first one, I now had to spend another hour (mostly on hold) talking to some CSR in Bulgaria or whatever and explain to her why this sucks. Isn't that pretty much illegal? Send somebody a USED machine to replace one that is less than a month old? DISH is becoming more and more the devil incarnate to me.

Steam coming out of my ears right now....

sker

les017 said:
now I really feel like a big, juicy, steaming, stepped-on turd...cuz I have 1 of each :what

Send somebody a USED machine to replace one that is less than a month old? DISH is becoming more and more the devil incarnate to me.

Are you leasing or did you actully purchase ? If you are leasing that seems like normal business practice, if you purchased, it was under warranty - which it is, i would have complained too.

I purchased, at full retail, $700.

I didn't really even get to complain about the fact they sent me a refurb. Because I was talking to a foreigner, I was focused on describing the basic situation and making sure they would send me a new one. It was like she didn't even know what a re-manufactured machine was. I couldn't get her to pass me onto someone else, either. I was stuck with her and her poor English, and it took me almost an hour, and being put on hold 5 times for her to finally agree to send me a new machine. It'll be interesting to see if a new machine indeed arrives. Or will it be a re-furb that doesn't have a "remanufactured" sticker on the back. How would I know? I feel like I can't trust them as far as I can throw them now.

I feel like writing someone at Dish to complain, but who? And at what email address? Maybe I'll write the FTC or something. I really think its bogus and pretty much illegal to send someone a used machine to replace a new one that is less than 30 days old. What are they trying to pull? Is this a standard business practice? How many people have they pulled this on? I noticed the refurb sticker. Most people, I'm sure, are NOT going to notice the refurb sticker or even realize that it means the machine is USED. Just like most people back in December and January did NOT realize Dish was about to make wholesale changes that would relegate their expensive 942s obsolete within a matter of days, yet Dish kept selling them to unwitting customers....at full retail. I'm beginning to think they are lieing, cheating, sneaky, pretentious, law-breaking ***holes at Dish.

sker

gbjbany said:
Are you leasing or did you actully purchase ? If you are leasing that seems like normal business practice, if you purchased, it was under warranty - which it is, i would have complained too.

I set-up and activated my 942 last night (replaced my 522) and everything went perfect. The unit originally came to me pre-activated but would only pull in Detroit stations (not good since I'm in No. California) because I bought the store demo unit from Dishstore. That was easily rectified with a 15 minute phone call to a super nice (and knowledgeable) CSR who walked me through the whole process, including scanning for my local OTA HD channels. There was no upselling & no remarks about it being a legacy unit and I should have bought/leased the 622 (622 was never mentioned in fact). I confirmed my bill will be unchanged (AT120 + Locals) and that my account will remain undisturbed.

The 942 is a sweet machine. It's pretty much a clone to my 522 (which I loved) except I can now watch and record OTA HD and have the option for Pocket Dish. I can't see needing that though because when I travel I just burn a few DVR shows to DVD and watch them on my laptop.

I get 30 local channels in HD and that is the bulk of my viewing. Except for watching the San Jose Sharks in HD (FSN) I'm not wanting for any of the other channels so the 622 won't be missed. The 942 does a respectable job in upscaling the SD picture to my DLP TV and the picture (and sound) though HDMI is very nice. A nice bonus is that it outputs 720P to my projector through component at the same time as sending the 720P signal through HDMI to the TV. HDTV on my projector is sweet!

On another note, I've been a Dish subscriber since 1997 and have never had the horror story experiences I read about here. I started with the original DishPlayer and then progressed to the 501, then a 508, then the 522 and now the 942. Dish CSR's have alway been polite, fair and knowledable. I'm grandfathered in with warranty at $2.99 per month and allow them to charge my card automatically every month. I've only needed their warranty service twice but both times they shipped out replacement recievers (no shipping charge due to auto pay) and credited me back immediatley upon recieving the defective unit.

My 522 was located in a very remote part of the house (not near a phone line) and a quick e-mail to the CEO's office got a waiver put on the account to not charge the $5.00 "no phone line" fee. Hopefully this will carry over to the 942, we'll see.

Sorry to hear about the grief the rest of you are suffering but for me, Dish has always been nice, responsive and fair. Of course I was always the teachers pet in school too. :)

Last edited:
vurbano said:
No they wont. It will be 2007 before Rupert catches up. At this moment I am so jealous of you E* guys. More channels, great PQ compared to the little bit of channels with crappy HD PQ D* is giving me.
Vurbano, don't feel so jealous...we gotta buy new boxes and committ to 18 months of service. You should have FiOS TV in your area before the end of the year.

Hi sker66,

Sounds like you got the call center in India with that woman that sounds like she is having fun reading scripted answers back to you.

If you accuse those people of being in India, they deny it - they always have with me anyways. They are in India though.

I found a way around that one. Just call and go through technical support. Technical support can handle billing issues, or anything else just like everyone else can. They will even tell you the truth about the Indian call centers. They told me that there are six call centers in the US, and one call center in India. I'm guessing the India call center is bigger, because I normally get routed there if I go through the billing route or add programming route.

ItsDon said:
I get 30 local channels in HD and that is the bulk of my viewing. ...
30 local HD channels? Holy Crap :eek: Or does that include subchannels? Heck, my local Pax station has 3 subchannels, and NO HD.

mdonnelly said:
30 local HD channels? Holy Crap :eek: Or does that include subchannels? Heck, my local Pax station has 3 subchannels, and NO HD.

Sorry, that should have read 30 DIGITAL channels. That does include sub channels as well as channels in languages I can't even pronounce. I scanned only for digital (not analog) and that's what showed up. For the most part I get all the big guys (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PAX, PBS) at 85-90 strength. Then there are the little guys (channel 36, 54 etc.) that are english but never have anything good on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)