Any advise for a new installer?

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
I know a bunch of you are satellite installers and I'm about to join you. Any advise for a budding subcontractor?

Don't listen to boba. He must have had a bad experience. You can easily make almost minimum wage. Maybe even more if you work hard at it..... just kidding. Unfortunately, as in any business where you subcontract, you will find companies that pay you on time, and companies that don't. You'll just have to figure out who's who on your own. I do, however have a list of the do's and don'ts for a satellite installer. If your email is available, I'll send it to you. My fellow field managers and I created this some time back- it is written from years of experience by some of the best in the industry.

I'll PM you my email addy.

As for the company I'm working for.. an east coast RSP, it's the same one I've been with for 2 1/2 years. They pay pretty well, as long as your comp % is good. I just kinda got sick of managing people who made more money than I did, so I'm making the leap from behind the desk into the field.

The most important part of installing is obviously the dish. Make sure you can peak both 119 and 110. 522s/322s have lower signal than the other receivers so it is crucial you get max signal out of them because signal decides if we keep a customer. Mount the dish in a reasonable location, not on the highest peak of a roof where it is unsafe to get to or using a 40 foot ladder. keep it low. do good work and you will be fine. the do's and don't like mentioned above will be a good start, and don't lax in that regard. i.e. never put barrels in the service loop of the dish or any where in the line that would be completely unnecessary. If you don't feel you can hang from the dish (exaggerating) when you are done mounting it, then put it somewhere else. etc..... These are the crucial points. You wouldn't want someone else fixing your work and come across as a crummy installer. unless of course you are.

good luck!

Hi, Make sure you know exactly whats expected of you and your installation. Get it in writing if you can. Either from your company or the Satellite company you will be installing. That way you won't be bullied into the "Someone at Dish Network told me that you would mirror all five bedrooms upstairs for free!" or better yet my all time favorite "I figured you could just do it since your running cable up there any way!". Make sure you get paid for your work. One last thing, if your on a trouble call and the system really needs to be re-installed and the Satellite provider, your company or the customer doesn't want to pay you for it, check the connections, do a smartcard reset, make sure all the receivers are working properly, close the job out and move on to the next job. I don't mean to sound like a b****rd, but after 2 1/2 years doing this I have learned one thing--The only wallet that gets picked is an installers--. Believe me I am a really nice guy :)

Later,

LM

Installing

bcshields said:
I know a bunch of you are satellite installers and I'm about to join you. Any advise for a budding subcontractor?

My advice, (for what it's worth), keep track of Your miles driving, (taxes when You get the 1099), try to find a great deal on cable, (you will use a lot), and most important, keep track of Your jobs and the pay for each one, (getting shorted on pay is not uncommon). I found it best to put as much work in paper work as You do the job it's self, maybe more. NEVER DO WORK FOR FREE, IF IT IS NOT ON THE WORK ORDER & CUSTOMER WON'T PAY, DON'T DO IT! IF THERE IS A PROBLEM LATER ON WITH CUSTOM WORK YOU DID, IT MAY NOT BE COVERED BY WARRANTY & YOU WILL HAVE TO FIX IT FOR FREE. Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts