Any alternatives to the 522?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Easy-g

Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Hello all. I'm new to this forum, but I've been using Dish Network and their DVR service for about a year now, and I must say that the service has been less than satisfactory. Specifically, my experience with the 522 DVR, which has been nothing short of a nightmare. I'm going to give a rundown of all the problems I've had with this pitiful piece of machinery, and I'll try and keep it as short as I can.

The first in the whole saga of problems happened last summer. I had amassed a huge collection of recorded events that I was hoping to eventually transfer to VHS tapes when I had the time. Well, one day I casually turned the unit on and went to the list of recorded events only to find that they had all vanished before my eyes. All 97 hours of them. Heck, I even considered sending the unit to a data-recovery center to see if they could recover any of my lost recordings, but after finding out how much it would cost, I quickly gave up on the idea. To this day, I still don't know what caused this to happen.

After this, I continued to get Dish's service, but it wasn't until about two months later that I was willing to give the DVR another chance. Once I started using it again, it seemed to work fine. Aside from the occasional "guide of death" and sudden reboot, there were no major problems, and my recordings were remaining intact. Eventually, I built up enough confidence that I again started using it regularly to record my shows. All was fine until December, when the L232(?) software update was released. I started noticing the infamous beeps, pops, and a/v sync issues in my recordings that many people on this site have mentioned. But at that time, they were happening very infrequently, I'd guess maybe once every 30 minutes or so, and I was able to live with it. It wasn't until February that the a/v glitches became very frequent, and very aggravating. It was getting to the point where I had to keep the remote in hand at all times just so I could rw/ff to re-sync the audio. The blips and glitches were now occurring at a rate of about 5 in every 30 minutes of recording, and some shows were almost unwatchable. Copying shows to VHS was becoming a huge pain, since I had to constantly go back and redo sections of the recordings where the audio went out of sync.

That was about two weeks ago. Now I'm getting so many a/v glitches that it's almost laughable. I've been getting as many as 1-2 a MINUTE in some cases, and the recorded shows aren't even worth watching anymore. I've had to resort to watching most of my shows live just to be able to understand the dialogue and know what's happening in the show.

I am at my last straw with this DVR, and am thinking about sending it back to Dish and getting an entirely different model. After all, what's the point of even having DVR capabilities if the recorded events are unwatchable? It's my understanding that every 522 has these same problems to some extent, so I would like to know what your guys' opinions are on the other DVR models, such as the 921, 510, etc. Are any of these known to have a/v dropouts or lost recordings? Surely they can't be as bad as my 522 has been. I'm open to suggestions.

I appreciate your time. :)

The 721 and 510 has less bugs since they have been out longer. Eventually they will get the bugs worked out of the 522 as well.

Your 522 seems to have many more Issues than I have experienced with my 522.
My only issue is the intermittent audio drop out and video glitch.
audio sync issue has only occured a couple times and I know how to correct it so no big deal.
I have never had it reboot itself or lose any recordings. The name based recording has been working as advertised and only time it has not recorded events is due to program conflicts or last min schedual changes.

Have you tried having Dish replace your 522 with a different one?
If I had that many problems I would request a replacement.

The DVR-510 reviews seem to indicate it has less bugs but it doesn't have name based recording and its only a single tuner.

I have had the 510 since last September and have never had a single problem with it. Never had any audio dropouts, no video problems, nothing. We record stuff every day and it always works perfectly. The only drawback is that it has a single tuner only. Name Based Recording is coming to this unit in a few months. I would love to upgrade my 510 to a 522 to get the dual turner capabilities but I do not think my family is ready to deal with the headaches you and other have had with their 522 units. I think I am going to upgrade my other 301 to 510 and just have two 510 units instead of 522.

coreillydish said:
I have had the 510 since last September and have never had a single problem with it. Never had any audio dropouts, no video problems, nothing. We record stuff every day and it always works perfectly. The only drawback is that it has a single tuner only. Name Based Recording is coming to this unit in a few months. I would love to upgrade my 510 to a 522 to get the dual turner capabilities but I do not think my family is ready to deal with the headaches you and other have had with their 522 units. I think I am going to upgrade my other 301 to 510 and just have two 510 units instead of 522.
I have two 510's run to the same tv. (2 s-video connections)Works great. As long as you keep the 510 cool it is a very stable box. I too would like a 522 but don't need the headaches . I can just see my wife try to work around the problems with the 522. I would not be a happy camper anymore. PS I don't think they will fix all the problems with the 522. Mpeg 4 will come out first.

nuts4scuba said:
A 721 would give you 2 tuners, but you won't be able to watch different shows on 2 tvs at the same time. With the 721 you don't have to pay the vod fee. I have had one since the fall of 2002. It had a few problems the first few months, but since then has worked fine. Dishstore.net has some refurbished ones: http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=237
I originally wanted a 721 or a 522 and went ahead and ran the extra line but any box one purchases now will be of liitle value with mpeg4. obtw I would not use the 522 with two tv's it would be in single mode only. I have a 301 in the bed room. Well I'm out of here. My 12 hours on deck is over. Have a great day whats left of it and see you all tomarrow.

Easy-g said:
Hello all. I'm new to this forum, but I've been using Dish Network and their DVR service for about a year now, and I must say that the service has been less than satisfactory. Specifically, my experience with the 522 DVR, which has been nothing short of a nightmare. I'm going to give a rundown of all the problems I've had with this pitiful piece of machinery, and I'll try and keep it as short as I can.

The first in the whole saga of problems happened last summer. I had amassed a huge collection of recorded events that I was hoping to eventually transfer to VHS tapes when I had the time. Well, one day I casually turned the unit on and went to the list of recorded events only to find that they had all vanished before my eyes. All 97 hours of them. Heck, I even considered sending the unit to a data-recovery center to see if they could recover any of my lost recordings, but after finding out how much it would cost, I quickly gave up on the idea. To this day, I still don't know what caused this to happen.

After this, I continued to get Dish's service, but it wasn't until about two months later that I was willing to give the DVR another chance. Once I started using it again, it seemed to work fine. Aside from the occasional "guide of death" and sudden reboot, there were no major problems, and my recordings were remaining intact. Eventually, I built up enough confidence that I again started using it regularly to record my shows. All was fine until December, when the L232(?) software update was released. I started noticing the infamous beeps, pops, and a/v sync issues in my recordings that many people on this site have mentioned. But at that time, they were happening very infrequently, I'd guess maybe once every 30 minutes or so, and I was able to live with it. It wasn't until February that the a/v glitches became very frequent, and very aggravating. It was getting to the point where I had to keep the remote in hand at all times just so I could rw/ff to re-sync the audio. The blips and glitches were now occurring at a rate of about 5 in every 30 minutes of recording, and some shows were almost unwatchable. Copying shows to VHS was becoming a huge pain, since I had to constantly go back and redo sections of the recordings where the audio went out of sync.

That was about two weeks ago. Now I'm getting so many a/v glitches that it's almost laughable. I've been getting as many as 1-2 a MINUTE in some cases, and the recorded shows aren't even worth watching anymore. I've had to resort to watching most of my shows live just to be able to understand the dialogue and know what's happening in the show.

I am at my last straw with this DVR, and am thinking about sending it back to Dish and getting an entirely different model. After all, what's the point of even having DVR capabilities if the recorded events are unwatchable? It's my understanding that every 522 has these same problems to some extent, so I would like to know what your guys' opinions are on the other DVR models, such as the 921, 510, etc. Are any of these known to have a/v dropouts or lost recordings? Surely they can't be as bad as my 522 has been. I'm open to suggestions.

I appreciate your time. :)

Hmmm, sounds like you need Directivo :yes.

I would like to thank everybody for taking the time to respond with your suggestions.

I've decided that I might send this 522 back to Dish and get a new 522 just to see if it works any better. If I still experience the same problems, than I might consider getting a 510, since I hear this model is much more stable. I could probably do without the dual tuner and name-based recording if it means being able to enjoy stable and consistent playback.

ByrdWatcher said:
I originally wanted a 721 or a 522 and went ahead and ran the extra line but any box one purchases now will be of liitle value with mpeg4. obtw I would not use the 522 with two tv's it would be in single mode only. I have a 301 in the bed room. Well I'm out of here. My 12 hours on deck is over. Have a great day whats left of it and see you all tomarrow.

I don't think E* will convert the SD channels over to MPEG4 for quite awhile. They will use MPEG4 for HD Locals. E* might not care about pissing off a few hundred thousand HD customers with no upgrades, but I think Charlie is smart enough not to piss off 12 million customers with bad upgrade options when they switch the SD channels to MPEG4.

nuts4scuba said:
I don't think E* will convert the SD channels over to MPEG4 for quite awhile. They will use MPEG4 for HD Locals. E* might not care about pissing off a few hundred thousand HD customers with no upgrades, but I think Charlie is smart enough not to piss off 12 million customers with bad upgrade options when they switch the SD channels to MPEG4.
Yup - you've hit the nail on the head.

Tunaboy doesn't give a DAMN about his high-end customers. In his opinion we don't pay him enough. The $10K I've given him over the years means nothing to him.

It's going to be many years before SD is converted to MPEG-4.

First, E* has to actually BUILD a MPEG-4 box (2006). Then they have to make it work (2012). Then they have to start distributing it (2014). Once they've got enough of them out there (2021), THEN they can start considering upgrading the remaining old boxes.

If I may make a change to your timeline...
distribution will start in 2010, also the prototype built in 2006 will win a CES award which double as a receipt of payment for booth space.

I notice you corrected me by putting the distribution before it actually works.

You are right of course.

My fault, I put the horse in front of the cart like any intelligent person. :( :D ;)

SimpleSimon said:
Yup - you've hit the nail on the head.

Tunaboy doesn't give a DAMN about his high-end customers. In his opinion we don't pay him enough. The $10K I've given him over the years means nothing to him.

It's going to be many years before SD is converted to MPEG-4.

First, E* has to actually BUILD a MPEG-4 box (2006). Then they have to make it work (2012). Then they have to start distributing it (2014). Once they've got enough of them out there (2021), THEN they can start considering upgrading the remaining old boxes.

So by 2030 they (meaning we) should have the bugs worked out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts