Any body notice?

Jerryinvirginia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Apparently, the audio level differences have been addressed when changing from DD/HD channels to SD. This problem was a topic of discussion on retailer chat. Thanks, Tech Guys for saving my wife's sensitive hearing, and possibly my sanity. :):):):)

Goes to show you. When the tech guys sucessfully solve an issue, no one notices. Looks like we would rather complain about what is yet to be corrected, than thank them for their efforts, when an issue is addressed. Interesting!

Good to hear... thanks for the info. I don't have my audio receiver connected at the moment.. but it's nice to know that issue is resolved when I reconnect it.

I noticed last night, but thought it was just a freak thing like a quiet SD commercial on when I turned the receiver on. I only switched from SD to HD once and it was right after turning my receiver on, so I didn't think much about it. I hope that it really is fixed! That would be great. I am surprised because I thought it was an issue that deals with something along the lines of dolby digital vs. pro logic sound coming from SD and HD channels and was a byproduct of that, not really an issue dish could do anything about. I hope I was wrong!

Actually, I think I noticed the opposite. I have to turn the volume up on my surround sound receiver a lot louder than before. Then, when it goes to commercial, it's SUPER loud.

I switched back an forth from SD to HD on several channels. Sound level was consistent. Commercials are always louder!!

I switched back an forth from SD to HD on several channels. Sound level was consistent. Commercials are always louder!!

IF you have a dvr and dvr everything You should be skipping commercials anyway. I am glad that they found a way to equalize the difference between sd /hd channels. I was going through the batteries in changing the sound all the time.

Goes to show you. When the tech guys sucessfully solve an issue, no one notices. Looks like we would rather complain about what is yet to be corrected, than thank them for their efforts, when an issue is addressed. Interesting!

I didn't notice because I am now in the habit of turning my sound way down, then back up, when I change the channel. I'll have to make an effort not to do so tomorrow and see if it's fixed. Thanks for the heads up!

Must be nice to be able to have HD only. I am in an area that was supposed to have my locals go HD at the end of July. Still nothing, so I still have to keep switching between SD and HD. Very annoying!!

I hardly watch SD anymore with my HD only package so I hadn't noticed, but I remember it being quite an annoyance having to turn the volume down every time I switched to Nick or Comedy Central. I'll have to compare the HD/SD volumes on the channels I still get to confirm, but it's nice to see that the E* techs are doing something right. :up

I defintely notice the volume level between SD & HD is a lot more balanced now (except for commercial obviously)
However, I also notice that I have to turn up my av receiver's volume to get the same loudness as of before..
(I had my Marantz SR8002 set at -35dB for TV up until today when I had to increase the volume to -25dB to -30dB to get same level of loudness...)

This is cool. Lately I have found my self changing channels and turning the volume down then up. When normally I would turn it down and leave it. But I have noticed commercials are louder than normal. Usually I walk around during commercials and there crazy loud. IT'S MY MONEY AND I NEED IT NOW!:haha

It seems like it might just be commercials that Dish injects that are louder. I don't notice it with OTA. Also dish injected commercials appear to have lower PQ. I might have to start pausing more often.

Sat. 119 but no 110

Choppy OTA Video on 722

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)