Any Dutch immigrants in the US watching BVN TV on Intelsat Americas 5?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

limburger

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Being a Dutch immigrant myself, I'm always interested to hear what other immigrants think about BVN TV on IA5. Eventhough I live here in the US for over 11 years now and have become a US citizen almost 7 years ago, I'm still very much interested in BVN's programming.

I was happy to hear a couple of years ago that they were switching from Dish Network to FTA, so we could finally watch it for free like the rest of the world.

Do you watch BVN to keep up with the news out of the Netherlands or Belgium, or do you watch BVN to catch an ocassional movie or a show? For me it helps to keep up with the Dutch language as it does get harder to speak Dutch when you don't hear it for a long time.

If responding, please respond in English, so others can read it too!!

I am not Dutch (But have been to Holland a few times) I watch BVN for the soccer, and the amazing picture quality. Must be the BEST picture on IA-5!

I've been to Holland a few times as well and like the Cheese there :) Once, I had a canal tour and was amazed at the history of the city. We toured the diamond factory, a windmill, a cheese factory, and other places. It was good.

Yes, I agree wiht Pete BVN has the best picture quality of all the stations on IA5. They must be spending big bucks for that.

From my experience with Dutch customers, they are a few and far between. If you know a good venue (online,print, etc) that Sadoun can advertise to reach this niche customer base, please PM me.

I'd love to see DW on IA-5, English feed of course, and I'm surprised that theres no Czech channels, we have quite a bit of Bohemian immigrants.

I've been to Holland a few times as well and like the Cheese there :) Once, I had a canal tour and was amazed at the history of the city. We toured the diamond factory, a windmill, a cheese factory, and other places. It was good.

Yes, I agree wiht Pete BVN has the best picture quality of all the stations on IA5. They must be spending big bucks for that.

From my experience with Dutch customers, they are a few and far between. If you know a good venue (online,print, etc) that Sadoun can advertise to reach this niche customer base, please PM me.

BVN TV is actually part of the Dutch public TV/Radio system and is paid by the Dutch government. Every household in the Netherlands that has a TV in their house needs to pay a sort of TV Tax.

This money is used to finance 3 nationwide TV stations and some 5 national Radio stations and Radio Netherlands (Short wave). Besides that they finance BVN TV together with the Belgian public TV system that is financed with a similar TV Tax in Belgium.

In Britain the BBC is financed the same way I believe.

Anyway, the TV tax that the Dutch pay makes us able to watch BVN TV for free here.

I am not from Holland,I am from Friesland in northern Germany(some 50 years ago) but I anderstand some Dutch and watch this station sometimes.
Reinhold.

Bvn

I am Dutch and watch the channel occasionally. However every weekend the kids watch Sesamstraat for developing their Dutch language skills. They are all born here and the only way (other than speaking to me) to build their vocabulary is to watch some Dutch TV.

When I watch I look at soccer, and dutch tv series. Unfortunately the early evening programming is overloaded with the Dutch news, the Belgian news and another Dutch news program called 2 Vandaag. Too much for me, I'd rather have another Dutch series than 2 Vandaag. Must be aimed at people on vacation or on the Netherland Antilles, I don't need to be informed in infinite detail on the daily politics etc. The daily Dutch news is more than enough for that.

Must be aimed at people on vacation or on the Netherland Antilles, I don't need to be informed in infinite detail on the daily politics etc.

Yes, it is done that way for the Dutch people in the Netherlands Antilles. This is also the reason why in the weekends so many children programs are in the morning. I guess the Dutch need to take care of their colonies too besides their expatriates and migrants. I do however remember that when I went to Aruba, I had a hard time finding BVN as at that time the cable company only showed id a few hours a day. Maybe that's the time the news is on.

I do however think it's great that BVN show it's programming all over the world, so people in Australia for instance can watch Dutch TV too. I haven't heard of too many TV programs that are shown ALL over the world at the same time.

My wife is Dutch and when her mother (who is still in The Netherlands) told her that BVN was going to be FTA in Canada she asked me to get her this channel. Little did she know that she would be starting me down a slipperly slope to a new hobby.

2 years and 4 satellite dishes later........

My wife and I like to watch Studio Sport and Sport Journal especially during the Olympics and the Tour de France. I don't even know Dutch (yet) but I find it vastly better than any North American sports highlight shows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)