Intelsat 18 180.0E Ku

I get your point. There would no shadow on your dish from the LNB.
No, not what I meant.
Not so much as a shadow from the LNBF, the shadow from any trees or hills cast on the dish when the sun is in direct alignment with the dish on the worst outage day. ...
Exactly. Any ground not covered by shadow when the sun lines up with the satellite is a place where you can plant a dish to receive the satellite.

... At 5:22 PM I saw a large section of my backyard bathed in sunlight. Just have to decide if I want to move my 1.2 meter dish there.

...Any ground not covered by shadow when the sun lines up with the satellite is a place where you can plant a dish to receive the satellite.

... At 5:22 PM I saw a large section of my backyard bathed in sunlight. Just have to decide if I want to move my 1.2 meter dish there.
Today wasn't a good day to try this since there were clouds obscuring the sun partially. On a clear day, I will check the yard near the end of the day when the sun is at about 13 degrees elevation to see what I can discover. 13 degrees elevation occurs around 5:30 pm local time. At that time, the sun's azimuth will be about 6 degrees to the west of Intelsat 18.

I started with satellite arc info, then printed off my yard in google maps, that was the most up to date. From there I drew in the limits of the arc I wanted to see.

For locating my dish, I put it so the tallest tree was due south at about 87w or so. And I could still get Alaska (at least when the beam was in my area). Plenty of room for the trees to grow over time, because they will. The dish ended up being about 120 feet from the house so I had to size my wiring accordingly but it’s been worth it.

I used a cheap little map compass, with a rectangular plastic frame. Taped to a yardstick. Compensating for magnetic adjustment. Sighting down the stick, I could pick a feature in the distance to line up with based on where I was standing.

For elevation, I used a plastic locking protractor set at the target elevation. With a digital level on the horizontal. These days I could just use a free phone app, zero it at the angle I want, and have it beep. Hold it against the yardstick and sight down it to see if everything will clear.

For actual dish alignment I first held the yardstick against the mount, with the compass at the far end so the steel didn’t interfere. For elevation I just held the angle finder against the mount. I actually was in the zone for 87w from the first try, bumping the dish brought in channels I already had scanned from the old house.

Reactions: cyberham