Any easy way to do this?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

breathe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
So I wasn't home for my dish install with my 522. My fiance was there, and I ended up with a lazy installer, who ran two cables into our bedroom, installed the receiver there, and then ran tuner 2 through the existing house wiring. I would prefer the receiver being in the living room so that i can use it with my surround sound. Now is there any easy way to do this or will i have to run new cable to do what i am wanting to do? I know i can run tv1's input through the existing wiring, but then tv2 has no way of back tracking through the wiring, does it? Can two signals run on the same wire?

breathe said:
So I wasn't home for my dish install with my 522. My fiance was there, and I ended up with a lazy installer, who ran two cables into our bedroom, installed the receiver there, and then ran tuner 2 through the existing house wiring. I would prefer the receiver being in the living room so that i can use it with my surround sound.

At the risk of sounding sexist, that's exactly why I took a vacation day when I had mine installed. :smug My wife couldn't care less about optical anything as long as she can watch Will & Grace....

breathe said:
Now is there any easy way to do this or will i have to run new cable to do what i am wanting to do? I know i can run tv1's input through the existing wiring, but then tv2 has no way of back tracking through the wiring, does it? Can two signals run on the same wire?

I'm pretty sure that's a no. Also, using the pre-existing wiring for the sat feeds is probably a bad idea unless your house was built recently. You will need two home-runs of double-shielded RG-6 from the lnb / switch to the receiver, unless you're okay with not being able to watch programming from different sats / transponders simultaneously. You might be okay extending the sat feeds if the total effective length of the runs (original plus what you add) is less than 80 feet. Otherwise you'd be best off pulling new runs.

well, looks like im going to be stuck keeping the reciever in the bedroom. This weekend i bought two runs of RG6 and had plans to run it, get in the attic and the space to move around is TINY (im 6'4") so i had to basically lay and scoot to the living room through the attic. Finally get there and find that the hole that i could run my cables down is too small, didnt bring any tools with me either. I really dont want to go up there again to try this again...when i say tiny i mean its a tiny space, i could barely move up there. Sigh....

I've got a question, in your post you state that you weren't home when your dish was installed and you referred to the installer as a "lazy installer". Did you or your fiance tell the installer where you wanted the receiver? It very well may be (and since I haven't seen the install I don't know for sure) that the installer did what he felt was best for you the customer.

I'm constantly bombarded by complaints from customers who are not happy with they're install and in most of these cases the complainant was not present when it was installed and left no specific instructions for the installer.

In answer to your question it is possible to run two signals through one line, you need a set of diplexers. I must warn you though most of the diplexers i've used are prone to failure.

satqas said:
I've got a question, in your post you state that you weren't home when your dish was installed and you referred to the installer as a "lazy installer". Did you or your fiance tell the installer where you wanted the receiver? It very well may be (and since I haven't seen the install I don't know for sure) that the installer did what he felt was best for you the customer.

I'm constantly bombarded by complaints from customers who are not happy with they're install and in most of these cases the complainant was not present when it was installed and left no specific instructions for the installer.

In answer to your question it is possible to run two signals through one line, you need a set of diplexers. I must warn you though most of the diplexers i've used are prone to failure.

To further this, was there a phone jack in the living room near the TV location? Sometimes the unit is put elsewhere because of no phone (which is needed to avoid the dreaded $5/month for the 2nd room - oh no - a whole $5). Perhaps the installer had no better luck in that tiny attic space.

As for diplexers, if you use a good brand of power passive diplexers, you shouldn't have problems. But diplexers won't help to get a second sat cable to another room as the 522 needs two lines in (and one backfeed out which is where the diplexer will help). The simplest option would be to get a Dish Pro PLUS Dual LNB w/separator (if you have a dish 500) or you'll have to get a DPP-44 w/separator if your using a super dish. This allows both needed lines of satellite input to come in on only one line. Search the forum for more on both items.

I've installed electrical in places so damn tight you couldn't fart for fear of suffocation and crowding. It was difficult but do-able. He may have done the easiest thing possible that he was allowed to do for a free install. I'm having to rerun and run new wire in the basement apartment we are moving to. When the cable was installed in the home they used RG-5** cable. Not exactly all that good for regular cable programming much less sat dish entertainment. I'm having to run for the dish install and free cable we have as well. It won't be nice or fun but knowing it's done right will give me satisfaction.

farmsatguy said:
The simplest option would be to get a Dish Pro PLUS Dual LNB w/separator (if you have a dish 500) or you'll have to get a DPP-44 w/separator if your using a super dish. This allows both needed lines of satellite input to come in on only one line. Search the forum for more on both items.
There is no Plus version of the DP Dual and won't be because being for a single satellite it has no switch. You must be referring to the DP Plus Twin which is not simply an LNB but 2 LNBs, an input for a 3rd LNB, and a switch. Setting aside the confusion over names, this is a good solution. Breathe, what switch were you provided?

satqas said:

she told him we'd like it in the living room, but he told her it'd be easier to run it into the bedroom so she said okay. Looking at the install he could have ran the cable into the wall near the kitchen and ran it along the floor to the living room. He would have had to use more cable but it would have been easy enough

In most situations we are not allowed to run the cable along the wall/floor from one room to another, it's a trip hazard and is not considered professional.

satqas said:
In most situations we are not allowed to run the cable along the wall/floor from one room to another, it's a trip hazard and is not considered professional.
the kitchen/living room are pretty much the same room. If the cable was held to the wall there would be no trip hazard. Plus itd be behind things such as the kitchen table and a stand alone shelving unit, nobody would ever walk there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)