Any experts care to answer? @ RG-6

joey25

Jan 12, 2005
I know they all say use RG-6 cable but my house was wired with rg59.
I hooked it up over 4 yrs ago and my 100+ ft run works fine. Researching I find theat both cable have the same impedance.
so whats the deal?
Joe :)

yes But that does not mean the rg59 wont work.
What kind a DCV is powering the lnb or multiswitch? @6VDC?

It's all about shielding and conductor size. If your system is DISH, and you change to dp, RG-59 does not have the freq. range of a good Rg-6. Not all RG-6 is created equal. There's RG-6, good for inside and OTA, RG-6U, sat, OTA and can be buried, then there's RG-6QS, the extra shielding provides more protection from noise, also according to the SBCA, satellite trainers, the coax must be RG-6 60% shield, copper conductor. If your RG-59 is working now it may not much longer, with all the new switch combinations that is just that much more bandwidth needed for everything to function properly.

ice berg I have directv
Ive had it for about 4 yrs. over 100ft run. I am surprised i dont have a signal loss.
anyway. thanks

rg-6 (more bandwidth) less loss

I would recommend that you upgrade to RG-6 U. I even use it for my Over the air antenna. I would never use anything less on any satellite system. The RG-6 QS is the very best. Some folks just don't want to spend a little extra money for it.

On satellite systems that must have long cable runs I even use RG-11. It has a #14 AWG center conductor. Very low loss.

You are definitely losing some signal to the RG-59. During inclimate weather when rain clouds are very tall, you will experience more sat signal outage with the RG-59 as opposed to RG-6.
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts