Any hidden penalties for early termination of Dish Service?

JHuibregtse

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Traverse City, MI
I took advantage of the 811+2 301s deal from Dish and I've been very happy with it. After the usual bugs with the 811, it's actually working great right now. I may have to relocate to an apartment really soon, and it may not be possible to mount the dish facing southwest. I know there is a $240 early termination fee, but that seems awfully cheap to get three receivers and two dishes. I know I can get that back on eBay. Are there any other charges involved that I'm missing?

Re: Any hidden penalties for early termination of Dish Servi

JHuibregtse said:
I took advantage of the 811+2 301s deal from Dish and I've been very happy with it. After the usual bugs with the 811, it's actually working great right now. I may have to relocate to an apartment really soon, and it may not be possible to mount the dish facing southwest. I know there is a $240 early termination fee, but that seems awfully cheap to get three receivers and two dishes. I know I can get that back on eBay. Are there any other charges involved that I'm missing?
Before selling, don't forget to consider if you ever want to come back, you'll be paying full price for the equipment since you'll no longer will be a "new" customer.

Depending on the circumstances, they might let you out if the move was not of your decision (i.e. company transfer). I've heard of some cell-phone companies doing that when people move to a location that they don't get service. Sprint also does it for members of the military deployed (but that is a different situation...)

DISH Network won't let you out of your contract if you DIE. So I wouldn't count on them letting you out of your contract.

Alan

If a local dealer installed it, they may have their own fees. I was told I would have a penalty from dish and my dealer. The dealer penalty was almost $800.

I didnt think a retailer was having fees as high as $800 then again they are on the hook for the hardware cost, commission, and installation of all that hardware, particularly in DHP (DHA) and Free Dish. In some cases it is cheaper to pay the remainder of programming costs (AT50 minimal requirement) than paying the cancellation fee.

Not sure if it's been posted. But if you use DishMover and they can NOT get a signal, then you're not obligated to pay for the termination of the contract.

Also for ppl who have a 2 year commit, the $240 fee is only for less than a 1 year termination, for every other month after 1 year that you cancel, you must pay $25.

AppliedAggression said:
Not sure if it's been posted. But if you use DishMover and they can NOT get a signal, then you're not obligated to pay for the termination of the contract.

Also for ppl who have a 2 year commit, the $240 fee is only for less than a 1 year termination, for every other month after 1 year that you cancel, you must pay $25.

I agree. from what I've seen, if you don't have a line of sight after you move, they don't hit you with a cancellation fee.