Any hope of including WB Newtwork as part of the Primetime recording.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Hi,

Not sure if it was discussed already, I could not find any posts about it, but is there any hope that WB will be included in Primetime recording? I am not sure why Dish does not considering it as a major Broadcaster. I think it should.

Dish, what say you?

I would have to guess that if they ever did add CW, it would be under the same set of restrictions that currently apply to CBS. PBS, though... I wonder if PBS' recent Comcast deal excludes other providers or not.

I say they add CW and PBS to the top 4 networks and give us a full primetime folder. Besides the channels are already on the same transponder , so it could be recorded easily with the other networks already recorded. Shouldn't be that hard to make a software change that enables the other two channels .

Reactions: pattykay
I agree, adding CW makes sense, and even PBS. However, I have always believed that PTAT with AutoHop was all about Dish getting some kind of leverage with the big 4 who historically want the most $$$ for their content, and I mean the O&O's they own. Dish seems to still have good relations with Tribune (TV now in instead of Broadcasting--the new reorganization over at Tribune confuses me) and so such an AutoHop threat seemed no necessary.

One problem with PBS as part of PTAT is how will Dish handle the DMA's with multiple PBS stations, and we are talking some DMA's have as many as 5 true PBS member stations. somehow, I have a feeling legislation may prevent Dish from putting any PBS stations in the PTAT. However, if PBS were smart, they would ask Dish to be including in PTAT as this could increase their viewership numbers.

One other reason for not adding any more stations to PTAT may be a technical one. Is 4 the limit to how many local stations can be recorded off of one tuner. By that I mean I has played around with seeing how many locals I could get on one tuner OUTSIDE of PTAT, and I think I hit the wall at 4, but I'm sure someone else on this Forum had the really informed answer.

You are right on about why Auto hop was created by DISH. It has already been used in negotiations with CBS and ABC to get a better deal for DISH and limited auto hop for a number of days for those networks. So it has worked for what DISH wanted. As far as the number of channels that can be recorded, that I think is different. The local channels are all on the same transponder and there was talk about DISH doing the full amount of the channels like CW and PBS,but it never happened. There was also talk about doing other packs of national cable channels in new folder extensions for Prime time also . But I don't think DISH wanted to open another negotiation tactic unless they need it. Plus they would have to move certain channels to the same transponder to do ptat recording for that pack of channels. But I still think that CW should be included as it is a major channel in my household. I sometimes think that CW needs to add a SUPER in front of their Call sign letters ,since they have so many shows about Super heroes that we watch. SUPER CW!:laser

Reactions: Stormy_2021
I also would like to see the CW added to PTAT, but I think Dish would run into a marketing problem if they tried to advertise it nationally. Dish does not carry the CW in every market. Some markets get a CONUS feed of the CW in standard-def, which is obviously not on the same transponder as their HD locals, so the feature would not even technically work in those markets. I still would like to see Dish add CW to PTAT where they can, assuming that the hardware can technically handle it. I agree with the comments about PBS being too hard to include in PTAT, since many markets have multiple affiliates. Other markets only get a national feed of PBS, so the feature would not work for those markets. Again, even if adding PBS to PTAT was technically possible, Dish would run into a marketing problem with different markets being able to record a different number of channels. I think that is the main reason Dish limits PTAT to just the big four networks.

One other reason for not adding any more stations to PTAT may be a technical one. Is 4 the limit to how many local stations can be recorded off of one tuner. By that I mean I has played around with seeing how many locals I could get on one tuner OUTSIDE of PTAT, and I think I hit the wall at 4, but I'm sure someone else on this Forum had the really informed answer.
That's the answer I'd put money on.

So then what DISH could do is let you choose on the Hopper which set of four channels to record?

Reactions: TheKrell
So then what DISH could do is let you choose on the Hopper which set of four channels to record?
Considering that the program is set up to be universal, all on the same spotbeam and such, that would be problematic... Remember, there is somebody out there that actually sets up the auto hop for each station....

CW and MY would be good candidates. However, in our house FX, TNT, USA, TBS, BBCA, SYFY, and History would be better candidates, especially with the upcoming summer season shows.

Considering that the program is set up to be universal, all on the same spotbeam and such, that would be problematic... Remember, there is somebody out there that actually sets up the auto hop for each station....

I don't follow. If you can set up all four networks to be recorded, there is nothing out of the ordinary to set up another set of four networks. Then a software change that lets you pick (ABC, NBC, FOX , CBS) or PBS, CW, X, X or whatever four networks DISH decides everyone can pick. I'll put it another way, short of any kind of contract restriction there is no doubt the only thing that really needs to change is to set up another four channels and then make it possible to pick which four gets recorded. It seems like the next natural progression.

I also agree some good candidates would be TNT, USA, History, A&E etc.. I would think networks would actually vie for a chance to be automatically recorded.... Maybe even give some consideration to DISH for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts