Any monthly cost benefit in purchasing equipment

The biggest advantage to buying rather than leasing is you get to lighten your wallet. That way you don't get a sore butt from sitting on all that cash.

Yup. I lightened my wallet. I feel more satisfied if I can see my money "in use". With the H3 that I bought that I look at several hundred times a day, I get a false sense of satisfaction that my cash is working for me instead of vacationing in my wallet. And I kinda get a sense of minor godliness having implied control and command over my purchased device.

My wallet is a tall folding thing that I keep in my breast pocket, so it really doesn't cause me any discomfort. It may even protect me if I am ever shot at. Although if I keep "lightening" it may not be so protective.

My bill is showing:

Hopper DVR Service $15
Hopper Receiver $15 (I own an H3 and lease an H3)​
The first H3 receiver does not have a $15 service fee, and there is one DVR fee of $15 for the account.

So you are paying one DVR fee of $15, and one $15 service fee for the second H3.

You would pay this whether both H3s were leased, or both were owned, or a combination of owned and leased.

The first H3 receiver does not have a $15 service fee, and there is one DVR fee of $15 for the account.

So you are paying one DVR fee of $15, and one $15 service fee for the second H3.

You would pay this whether both H3s were leased, or both were owned, or a combination of owned and leased.

That's for the H3, right. And the $7 and $5 are for lesser units? I'm just curious about the difference in the numbers. I'm worried that my wallet is getting too light and might float away . . .

That's for the H3, right. And the $7 and $5 are for lesser units? I'm just curious about the difference in the numbers. I'm worried that my wallet is getting too light and might float away . . .
Yes, the $7 would be a for a Joey sub-receiver service fee, and $5 would be the non-DVR service fee for a standalone Wally or VIP211 series receiver as I recall. I have two purchased H2's, and my fees are just as Dare2be said, except that one of my fees is grandfathered at an older $12 rate instead of the current $15.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, the $7 would be a for a Joey sub-receiver service fee, and $5 would be the non-DVR service fee for a standalone Wally or VIP211 series receiver as I recall. I have two purchased H2's, and my fees are just as Dare2be said, except that one of my fees is grandfathered at an older $12 rate instead of the current $15.

"Thank You!" ever so much for the clarification. It is greatly appreciated. (I am so "Brain Dead" by all the double, triple and quadruple speak in the fine print and specs in contracts and service specs).

I had many really nice Grandfathered fees, but it got erased when I had to renegotiate my situation at the 13 hour after all the set up and account notes for my install last May mysteriously couldn't be found at the time a Field Super, Training Tech, Installer and Trainee all standing there and the Installer was holding the leased H3 in his hand wondering if he could install it. That was a day from hell. So it's nice to get truthful straight forward information . . .

Thanks again . . .

Reactions: NYDutch
I wish I only could have. It was the initial install/rework for an H3 set up and "they had to do it"! :eek I had to redo 98% of what they did so I could have done it myself. Activation is where the nightmare started.

Ahh, fortunately for my situation, my initial activation was through the Pace International "Dish4MyRV" folks, and subsequent upgrade activations were handled trouble free by the folks at DIRT back when they were more active on the forums.

Ahh, fortunately for my situation, my initial activation was through the Pace International "Dish4MyRV" folks, and subsequent upgrade activations were handled trouble free by the folks at DIRT back when they were more active on the forums.

Mine was through "Retention" and verified many times and still a mess. Oh and as of a couple of weeks ago all that "missing" info is right there in the account now.

Reactions: NYDutch
The best part about owning your own equipment is that it’s yours. You don’t have to worry about sending it back or waiting for a upgrade . You can do whatever you want with it no strings attached or contracts to tie you down.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

The best part about owning your own equipment is that it’s yours. You don’t have to worry about sending it back or waiting for a upgrade . You can do whatever you want with it no strings attached or contracts to tie you down.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

That's exactly right. I own my Wally and don't have to pay ridiculous state leasing taxes on it every month, and if I ever decide to upgrade or leave Dish, I can sell it for a profit on Ebay :)

I also own and install all my stuff as a sort of hobby too, and prefer do my own wiring cuz I am real anal about that stuff,but 11 years ago when I started "paying" for dish service my credit sucked and buying my own stuff was the only way i was gonna get service from dish or directv.

Could of went with Comcast at the time, but don't know why anyone would want to use there antiquated receivers.

There is no advantage to owning your Dish equipment.

Get what you can get for free, sign the contract and be done with it.

If you decide you don’t like dish, there are ways to get out of your contract.

Only advantage to owning vs leasing is you don’t have to send it back if you deactivate it.

But consider this, all the people who bought 311’s or mpeg 2 equipment and decided to “keep” it are sitting on boat anchors today.

Makes no sense to buy as the equipment is good for use with only 1 company and requires a subscription to continue to use.

There is no advantage to owning your Dish equipment.

Get what you can get for free, sign the contract and be done with it.

If you decide you don’t like dish, there are ways to get out of your contract.

Only advantage to owning vs leasing is you don’t have to send it back if you deactivate it.

But consider this, all the people who bought 311’s or mpeg 2 equipment and decided to “keep” it are sitting on boat anchors today.

Makes no sense to buy as the equipment is good for use with only 1 company and requires a subscription to continue to use.

Claude if you have a boat I still have a couple 3700s I can offer you at a great price.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)