Any new HD Channels coming?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I haven't been following this too closely but don't think I've seen any new HD channels since I added the HD pack right after Voom got taken off. Are there any new ones coming soon? I'd like to see Speed and FX in HD. Seems like Direct TV has several more channels than Dish.

And Dish has some that DirecTV does not have (unless they added them very recently).

The rumor is early November.

Dish claims they will have a certain number of HD channels by the end of the year, so they still have 3 months.

Speed and FX are the least likely to be added, because there is currently a lawsuit by News Corp over placement of a channel in one tier rather than the other.

More likely are the Viacom channels (Nick, Spike, etc.).

Whats HD? Never heard of it. :)

The most solid amser I can give to you (since it has been told to me by many people at Dish) is we will see more HD before the next Charlie Chat (which is in December)

I'm gonna havta quit my job just to watch all the stuff available today that I'm interested in.

Nick and Spike in HD would be really cool too. I'm fairly happy with the HD channels Dish has I just would be even happier with a few others. I'm not bothered by it enough that I'd consider switching I just would like to see some new channels. How many are they supposed to have by the end of the year? I saw that commercial but I can't remember what it said.

Right now the rumor is by December. Before that it was by the end of September...before that it was by the beginning of September...

Last I heard it was that we may see something in August after the August 1st updates. I never saw anything so that's what got me wondering. I'm not holding my breath. It's not that I don't like Dish because they aren't adding them. I don't like all the promises they make not just with HD but with everything else that almost never seem to be kept. I think they should just not talk about a product until they are truely ready to release it.

Anyone know when the next earnings call is? My bet would be between the Wednesday and Sunday before the quarterly numbers are released... just a hunch.

If history is any clue:

The 4Q2007 (ending 12/12/2007) call was 2/26/08, 57 days later.
The 1Q2008 (ending 3/31/2008) call was 5/13/08, 43 days later.
The 2Q2008 (ending 6/30/2008) call was 8/4/08, 35 days later

That places us somewhere in November. Id guess the first or second week. The 4Q earnings probably took longer due to the holidays and compiling the 2007 report as well. I bet we get new HD Nov 5th or 12th.

And one more thought, the Comcast family of Channels goes HD Dec. 8th. This includes, E!, Style, G4, and Golf/Versus getting their own channels. Recently, Golf just dropped down to AT200. I'm wondering if that indicates a new agreement for the carriage of these channels. If you recall, Liftime Movie Net made a similar drop to AT200 just before it along with Lifetime launched in HD.

I also hope for Viacom, and hopefully Comedy Central HD will come by then. It was supposed to launch on Cox this month (for the first time confiriming the existance of such a channel) but that appears to not be happening according to plan.

I do have to say, I'm most looking foward to Comedy Central HD, Spike HD, and E! HD. I get those back, and every SD channel I used to watch will be included with HD Absoulte.

And one more thought, the Comcast family of Channels goes HD Dec. 8th. This includes, E!, Style, G4, and Golf/Versus getting their own channels. Recently, Golf just dropped down to AT200. I'm wondering if that indicates a new agreement for the carriage of these channels. If you recall, Liftime Movie Net made a similar drop to AT200 just before it along with Lifetime launched in HD.

I also hope for Viacom, and hopefully Comedy Central HD will come by then. It was supposed to launch on Cox this month (for the first time confiriming the existance of such a channel) but that appears to not be happening according to plan.

I do have to say, I'm most looking foward to Comedy Central HD, Spike HD, and E! HD. I get those back, and every SD channel I used to watch will be included with HD Absoulte.

My wish would be in the beginning of Nov, Dish would announce 4-5 more showtime HD's, the viacom suite, ESPNU, and possibly throw in an odd ball HD channel like RFD or Outdoor 2 (or anything NBCU launches between here and there). At the same time, they would announce that the comcast pack would be here for the holidays.

I know I am asking for more than what will be delivered, but it is always fun to dream. (while I am reporting from never-neverland.... lets also throw in a stipulation with comcast, that, in exchange for carrying their full HD suite; they will FINALLY release CSN:philly to e*, who will add it as a full time RSN :D:D)

During the Democratic National Convention on 8/27, E* accidentally switched over to Showtime 2 HD for a few seconds on the DNC HD channel (Ch 211) they had up that week.

I've attached two pictures of the screen. The Sho2 HD watermark is in the 16:9 part of the screen, and I displayed the E* 'Info' pop-up to show this was actually on E*.

I guess it doesnt mean anything other than they are testing at least Sho2 HD.

Attachments

• Photo_082708_002.jpg
    Photo_082708_002.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Photo_082708_003.jpg
    Photo_082708_003.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 228

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)