Any new info about Dish Broadband?

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
I was hoping that there would be some new rumors about Dish and the supposed Dish Broadband debut, but no word at all. Has anyone heard anything? Or, is this yet some more of Dish's smoke and mirror tactics?

Whoops, I realized I posted to the wrong forum. I meant to be in the Dish forum. Can the mod kindly move the thread?

Thanks

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dont look for anything from Dish in the broadband department for at least a year.

Awww...Man....Bummer...(What else could I expect?) What about Wildblue? Do you know where I can find out if they are training installers in my area?

Maybe someone else will offer a service or announce a launch of a service that is just as good or better by then. By the time Dish Network may consider launching the service it may be too late.

Well Ive heard that the latest sat to be launched is supposed to be a triband sat but I really dont know what that is and it was mentioned by a trainer in passing a few months back. Even if Dish waited 5 years I dont think they would have anything to worry about as far as competition goes, the biggest killer of satellite two way internet is the monthly sub costs. I'd rather pay $44 a month for my 4meg cable internet than $69 a month for the potential to have speeds up to 10X faster than dial up. I dont know of to many farm folk out in the country side or city folk for that matter that can aford the cost of cable internet let alone sat internet, as it is Im moving away from cable internet here soon and going to dsl because the cost is cheaper by $22 a month.

Theyr a bit cheaper at $49 for the basic package wich is nice but thats still more money than the average farmer or person living in the country is going to pay.

jrchip01 said:
Checkout WILDBLUE's website and enter your zipcode.

Yeah, I've done that and it just changes month to month. It's a lie. They never get anything developed in my area in the month they say they expect to. I know they are trying to partner up with electric or phone co-ops in rural areas. I've tried contacting my co-ops but no one has ever heard of WildBlue. I'm pulling my hair out here.

Stacy,

Check out:

Bowie-Cass Electric Co-op. Inc
Highway 8 North
Douglassville, TX 75560
903-846-2311
Contact this dealer

Houston County Electric Coop Inc
1701 SE Loop 304
Crockett, TX 75835
936-544-5641
Contact this dealer

I just converted from DirectWay ($59/month for 3-600K) to a local WISP ($44/month for 1.5M).

I have been, am, and will continue to, install DirecWay and sell WISP (depending on location) to the farmers "that can't afford it" (ha!). Nowadays, it's an integral part of their business needs

Find anything besides satellite broadband

I used Starband for about 4 years (what was packaged as DishNetworks broadband in 2001), I just moved and was able to switch to cable modem - I can't believe how much better cable is!!!! Unless someone figures out how to make radio waves travel faster to the satellite and back down to earth, it will never be anywhere near what cable/dsl can be.

Granted you can get very good bandwith coming down from the sat, but the issue is latency. If you want to pull a big file down off the internet, it works pretty well. If you want to do anything else (like navigate basic web pages) it's painful. Very chatty application (lots of communication back and forth from your pc to whatever server you are talking to) can actually be slower over satellite than over a 52k dial up modem.

Wireless nets will be the real solution for remote locations. They are popping up everywhere now - I bet in a few years, the telcos are going to realize there is a real business there and start snapping them up, consolidating and building larger networks.

Wildblue is the way to go. Forget dial-up.

mike_ayu said:
Granted you can get very good bandwith coming down from the sat, but the issue is latency. If you want to pull a big file down off the internet, it works pretty well. If you want to do anything else (like navigate basic web pages) it's painful. Very chatty application (lots of communication back and forth from your pc to whatever server you are talking to) can actually be slower over satellite than over a 52k dial up modem.

Well I just installed Wildblue and am VERY happy. Forget about dial-up.
When you say get anything but satellite, what would YOU recommend to someone without option other than dial-up ??? :confused:
You had Starband, Starband is not WILDBLUE. Starband is dial-up compared to Wildblue.
My WB download stats are below.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 1025 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Download Speed is:: 125 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server2)
Test Time:: Sun Sep 25 08:04:10 EDT 2005
Bottom Line:: 18X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.19 sec
Diagnosis: Looks Great : 7.11 % faster than the average for host (218.139)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-A1GDE0RWC

Don't forget about terrestrial wireless (WISP).

Too many people order up satellite with no clue that they have a better option.

My last two DirecWay install orders were flipped to local WISP. I got to the site and could see the WISP tower, so I'm NOT going to install a DirecWay (even though it pays better).

I havent been inside but ive seen the operations center just outside Spokane, wa.

its supposedly setup with extreme redunduncy, and is being manned by just a few person crew.

I personally think its a waste of time for E* being the 4th fish in a very small pond.
They would probably be better off teaming up with wildblue...or just buyin them outright.

I think E's satellite internet thing won't take off at first just like satellite tv. I think that when they come up with some way for customers to get the equipment cheap and the monthly prices down that there will be a big demand.

BrettTRay said:
I think E's satellite internet thing won't take off at first just like satellite tv. I think that when they come up with some way for customers to get the equipment cheap and the monthly prices down that there will be a big demand.

what many have already pointed out in this thread though is that internet over satellite will NEVR be able to compete with land based broadband.

Its really only a last resort for those with no option but DU ....but you already know that.

and with SB,DW, and now WB all vying for the market share of a small pond, I dont see it as being financially advantageous to take it on...hence the suggestion of partnering/take over of and existing provider....

but theyve already spent a good deal on the infrastructure so who knows what charlies up too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts