Any news on ATSC 3.0 receiver from CES in LV, NV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Better video bit rate up to 2160P up to max 120 FPs and better modulation OFDM Vs 8VSB mening less signal dropouts. :)

More new channels that's depends on proper use of bandwidth.

Not only that you also get improved EPG, teletext like access, better sound and improved Closed Captioning...:bounce

Better video bit rate up to 2160P up to max 120 FPs and better modulation OFDM Vs 8VSB mening less signal dropouts. :)

Not only that you also get improved EPG, teletext like access, better sound and improved Closed Captioning...:bounce

I guess new and improved TV's will have to replace the old and lousy ones for this to work. :)

Reactions: FTA4PA

This is the question on bandwidth. Some stations will probably offer their main channel in 4K, the rest anywhere from HD down to SD. I have been told stations want additional space for sub channels. The demand is high and in many markets like Portland, there is not ernough room to carry many of them. I hope that is the case, as it would be nice to see additional offerings.

Reactions: danristheman
The big picture quality increase will come by no longer using a 25 year old video codec for their transmissions. MPEG-2 was trash back in the 1990's / early 2000's and it's still trash. Simply using H.264 would yield a substantial picture quality increase but ATSC 3.0 brings with it the opportunity to go even further and use HEVC.

If linear television wants to have any hope of competing with streaming then they will need to start broadcasting in 4K too. Netflix, Amazon, and now Apple TV+ & Disney+ have set the bar at 4K HDR. People expect new TV shows to be available in 4K, not plain old HD.

Oh okay, Now that's make sense , no don't have Sinclair in this market.

However, do have Nexstar which is heavily involved with ATSC 3.0 for their owned and operated stations.:)

I guess I'll have to wait until they announce the next top 50 U.S. markets to get ATSC 3.0. Where I live (Green Bay/Appleton/Fox River Valley, Wisconsin) we have stations owned by Gray (WBAY-TV 2, ABC), Scripps (WGBA-TV 26, NBC), Nexstar (WFRV-TV 5, CBS) and Sinclair (WLUK-TV 11, FOX).

Reactions: Howard Simmons
The big picture quality increase will come by no longer using a 25 year old video codec for their transmissions. MPEG-2 was trash back in the 1990's / early 2000's and it's still trash. Simply using H.264 would yield a substantial picture quality increase but ATSC 3.0 brings with it the opportunity to go even further and use HEVC.

If linear television wants to have any hope of competing with streaming then they will need to start broadcasting in 4K too. Netflix, Amazon, and now Apple TV+ & Disney+ have set the bar at 4K HDR. People expect new TV shows to be available in 4K, not plain old HD.
...and from the looks of it, ATSC 3.0 will have more gadgets on it than a Swiss Army knife.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts