Any news or updates?

priester68

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Natchez, MS
Is there any news or updates on these channels,

FearNet (rumored to be coming in October)
The channel replacing Discovery Kids (can't remember what it's called)
The new Weather Channel 2 they were talking about when all that went down.

FearNet is owned by SONY (I believe) and the Sony Movie Channel is coming to DISH on October 1st, perhaps FearNet will be following it at launch in time for halloween.

Discovery Kids is just changing its name, when the name changes it will still be on DISH.

The new weather channels are in testing on 118.7 so hopefully we see them shortly.

The new weather channels are in testing on 118.7 so hopefully we see them shortly.
Has anyone seen the weather channels ? If so, any tiny hint or teasers ? I will say, I expect nothing better than the CGA-era graphics and regional weather that Dish has given us for years so they do have a lot of leeway with me for improvement !! :D

FearNet is owned by SONY (I believe) and the Sony Movie Channel is coming to DISH on October 1st, perhaps FearNet will be following it at launch in time for halloween.

Discovery Kids is just changing its name, when the name changes it will still be on DISH.

What will the new name be and is there a link to the new site? I thought you posted one a while back but I could be wrong.

How shortly do you think and if anyone sees somthing please let us know!

Sony Movie Channel, October 1st...

Discovery KIDS --> The Hub on October 10th

And The Weather Channels can happen anytime as from what I understand they will just be weatherstar computers showing regional weather forcasts.

And The Weather Channels can happen anytime as from what I understand they will just be weatherstar computers showing regional weather forcasts.

OK Thanks! will the new weather channels be in SD and HD? I noticed that you said weather channels, are we getting more than one?

Bunch

It would take several to do the entire US. Is that why it is taking so long? I assume that they will just be triggered by either tone on some other signal like the TWC is for cable now. Then the outputs are gonig to have to be keyed to one's location via zip?

Multi-outputs

It could be as simple as using a spot beam for each region. It will be its own channel.

There are still going to have to be multiple outs to go to each diff region. Even at that it seems like that will have to be coordinated by the huge # of zips across the US. Gotta go now to the Pub next post will be 5k.

I hope you're wrong... "regional" weather ? That's no different than what they've been providing for years through Dish Home. Doesn't D* provide local weather ?

DISH had the Weather On The 8's for years... what happened to it? In fact they had it before DIRECTV did.

Granted DIRECTV's looked better (and also worked on the HD version) :)

DISH had the Weather On The 8's for years... what happened to it? In fact they had it before DIRECTV did.
They may have called it "weather on the 8s" but anyone coming from cable would laugh at it or say "wtf is this ?". And to use it, you had to be watching when the 'icon' popped up and hit the button on your remote. Then, all it did was overlay the same thing from Dish Home that you could access anytime.

I do mean this as constructive criticism so that Dish improves it or makes the best setup they can. People coming from cable always ask why there's no local weather (like they're used to). I won't forget that Dish said the weather feature will be "just like cable" or similar. This was the version they talked about 3-4 years ago too.

They may have called it "weather on the 8s" but anyone coming from cable would laugh at it or say "wtf is this ?". And to use it, you had to be watching when the 'icon' popped up and hit the button on your remote.

And of course, if you had popups turned off, because everything else they used them for was GARBAGE, you never even saw it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts