RV only?

SteveRiz

Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
new york
I called Dish Network and inquired about leasing and setting up 2 receivers in my motorhome ONLY with the 24 month commitment. They said it can't be done. That there MUST be an physical install.

Why is that a must? I don't want Dish Network at home, only when I park at a campground, where I take my dish out and put it on a tripod..

Because it costs Dish something like $700 to subsidize the equipment and installation. They want a positive ROI, and think they can get it from a fixed home, but not what they regard as a temporary residence.

I called Dish Network and inquired about leasing and setting up 2 receivers in my motorhome ONLY with the 24 month commitment. They said it can't be done. That there MUST be an physical install.

Why is that a must? I don't want Dish Network at home, only when I park at a campground, where I take my dish out and put it on a tripod..

Hi, can I ask why you do not want Dish at home? The most cost effective way would be to have Dish installed at your home then take a receiver or two from home when you take the RV out. That way you are not paying each month for something you only use part time.

If you have cable at home another option might be to use a slingbox at home but you would need high speed Internet for the RV.

Hope this helps, DC

I have 400 channels of cable TV, high speed internet and phone package at the house.

Paid for by my employer. Thats the reason why I don't need the dish at the house...

I have 400 channels of cable TV, high speed internet and phone package at the house.

Paid for by my employer. Thats the reason why I don't need the dish at the house...
Ok, I understand. Looks like you have everything in place at home for the slingbox to work. Only question is if high speed Internet is available at the places you take your RV.

Perhaps a laptop with one of those cell phone adaptors or a G3 USB adaptor would work.

Later, DC

I have 400 channels of cable TV, high speed internet and phone package at the house... Paid for by my employer.
:eek: Can I apply for this job? I think your employer could use a presence in the Washington DC area...

EBay a 211 and a dish 500 should be less than $200. 211 HD MPEG4 receiver will work on Eastern Arc or Western Arc. Western Arc you can pick up 119 and 129 or Eastern Arc or 61.5 and 72 easier than a 1000.2 Western Arc or a 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish and 1 dish will serve both arcs.

Your big problem as a novice will be learning to track in the dish without getting disgusted at the effort.

Hi Steve and the group, you might also want to check with Directv - during the NASCAR races I enjoy watching I see Directv dishes all over the place. On top of tool boxes, in the pits and on RVs. Perhaps Directv would be more accommodating.

Later, DC

Steve
As said above, just buy your equipment. (dishstore.net)
Continue to call Dish till you get what you want. The phone folks do not all have the same
understanding as to Dish services available.
Call a local install company and have them help with the first install or you can purchase from them and set up yourself but the cost is likely to be higher than Dishstore.
Buy one Dual Tuner receiver and run 2 TVs from that. 2nd TV will be digital, not HD in that case.
TV4RV.com has some great DooDads for making set up and Sat locating really easy.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts