Any reason to buy a Dish receiver?

c-montcityknight

Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Orlando
Just curious...I noticed that I could buy a Dish Networ ViP 211 receiver from Amazon for $150...is there any reason to do that at all? The way I understand Dish's website, it looks like I will pay $7 (I already have Dish service) no matter if I own my receiver or if I "lease" one from them. I didn't see any additional lease fees, so why would anyone spend the extra money to buy one? Am I missing something?

I just bought one, because I didn't want to have a 2 year contract extension. I personally don't like leasing anything either, that's just me.

I didn't think about that reason...so you definitely still pay the $7.00 fee though right? You're just not locked into 2 more years with them? They didn't try to lock to you when you called to activate the receiver?

No 2-yr contract if you own. Your owned receiver also has some residual value once you upgrade or decide to dump Dish. You are also free of the 4-tuner lease-limit if you own.

Mine just shipped this morning, so I won't have it till Friday probably. Yep it should just be 7.00 a month for the extra receiver fee. I probably got the same one you were looking at, as that is what I paid from Amazon for it Saturday. Could not find one locally and the fact it is 15 degrees kinda kept me from calling and driving around to find one immediately.

I have always bought all my receivers over the years, from 2 Dishplayers, 2 508's, a 522, a 622 and a 722 now. I have always been able to resell them and come out ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)