Any reason to use SKYPE vs Logitech Vid or other s/w?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I have some Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 units that I want to put into service. The sole projected use is for my wife or I to videophone my MiL, and vice versa. Our home to their "cottage" in a retirement facility. Broadband each end. We're talking VA to MD. I don't plan to ever call a landline or another country. It is conceivable that we might also add one at our daughter's home to see more of the new grandchild (not sure they even have broadband).

The webcams came with Logitech Vid, whose use is free and well reviewed. Granted, they are obscure.

Skype, for this purpose, would also be free. But as they've been acquired by Microsoft, who knows whats coming?

I am inclined to choose one or the other, rather than try to teach two systems.

Anyone here with experience or ideas/suggestions?

I use Skype and Oovoo. I personally prefer the Skype interface and I think the audio sounds louder on Skype. With Skype or Oovoo you can use other webcams besides Logitech. Just if you ever wanted to video chat with someone that doesn't have a Logitech webcam.

I have had better luck out of the logitech vid. Better performance. I could not get Skype to even work with it. Yahoo Messenger had fuzzier picture.

Thank you. I'll set everybody up with Logitech, then move to Skype if need be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)