Any set top box compatible with DishOnline?

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hey Guys --

With Starz talking about pulling their content from Netflix in Feb 2012 and hopefully still available via DishOnline after that I was curious if there's a set top box that'll make the DishOnline content available on our HDTV without having to have a dedicated computer. We have a VIP722 but AFAIK it can't access the same DishOnline content I can see via Dishonline.com, or can it?

Thanks for any suggestions --

Sam

Hey Guys --

With Starz talking about pulling their content from Netflix in Feb 2012 and hopefully still available via DishOnline after that I was curious if there's a set top box that'll make the DishOnline content available on our HDTV without having to have a dedicated computer. We have a VIP722 but AFAIK it can't access the same DishOnline content I can see via Dishonline.com, or can it?

Thanks for any suggestions --

Sam

I can view the DishOnline shows through my 722, and could from my 622. One trick is the DVR has to be connected to the internet. My box goes via the powerline ethernet adapter to my router, but it also can go over wireless if you get a dish spec wifi adapter. Or if your router is close, the boxes have build in wired ethernet as well.

Miner

OK, my 722 is connected to the internet, but how exactly do you get to the DishOnline content? A step-by-step would be great.

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't answer my question. All I see is the same old crappy OnDemand stuff which is a small fraction of what you get with DishOnline. So my and the OP's question remains, how do I get DishOnline content, like that provided by hulu for example, on my DVR?

Last edited:
My 722 is connected to the Internet, but as a few others have mentioned the DishOnline through the DVR menu isn't the same as what's on DishOnline.com. I'd love it if Dish would make all the content on DishONline.com available through the 722 and other receivers, but I don't think that's the case now. I'd even be fine with a stand alone box that isn't too costly or even better if they'd add a Roku channel for the content since that's only $99 or less.

Dish Online

I agree so why can't Dish merge VOD with Dishonline. If Comcast can do it why can't dish? Maybe one of the dirt team can answer this. Who want's to sit in front of a PC and watch TV.

Unless *I* am missing something ... 'yous guys' ... is messing ups the names and terms.
:facepalm

VOD - Video On Demand ... which includes

• Dish Cinema
  • Dish Platinum
  • TV Shows
  • Midnight Lounge
VOD is *NOT* Dish Online .. do I need to repeat *not* dish online??

On a 722k this could not be more clear ... you hit the DVR button one time, and the VOD options are there... and at the top of the screen it also states Video On Demand (hitting DVR a second time on the remote takes you to option 1, "My Recordings")

DishOnline.com is just that.. a web site where dish has a "portal" of aggregated of content. D.O. is also the "new" way to get access to your Sling Adapter, with Live TV and your personal recordings from the DVR.

Now .. back to the original question.. if you want DishOnline content available on your TV ... currently there are *no* dish receivers that support pulling DishOnline into itself and then up on the screen ... so you'd be left doing an HTPC ... though keep in mind, the WebSlingPlayer which is the primary component for video to the web browser, doesn't like cheap chips ... and you may have problems if you're using ION class hardware..

If your HTPC is a micro atx board with standard dual core processor, and a real video card, you'll be fine.

Please also note.. that the 922 and 722k both support "applications" though nothing has ever been said about releasing apps for the 722k ... and with how slowly they develop apps, you'd be waiting 10 years of sundays for them to finally roll something decent out for the 922.