Any voOmers in West Virginia

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

APone

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Are there any voOm subscribers in the Parkersburg/Belpre area?

From Beckley,w.va.

I am not a VOOMER yet but i am just about to pull the trigger and order .But i am not in the parkersburg area but down in the beckley area .I was wondering who does the installs in w.va. and of any problems they have had.great there is others on here from w.va.

I am a retailer from WV. I was thinking about selling Voom but see that it is exclusive to Sears and through Voom directly. I was thinking about getting the service myself but seen that they did not have much SD content plus do not have the locals (although I could just keep Dish for the locals and superstations), although some other areas do not offer locals yet, such as the Parkersburg DMA.

wvmike said:
I am not a VOOMER yet but i am just about to pull the trigger and order .But i am not in the parkersburg area but down in the beckley area .I was wondering who does the installs in w.va. and of any problems they have had.great there is others on here from w.va.
wvmike,
I'm scheduled to get a replacement of my receiver. I've gotten a couple of calls from a service rep in Charleston. When I first had my initial installation in December/2003 it was from Pro Star Digital from Columbus, Ohio. Still waiting on my receiver replacement.

ok,just ordered voom

APone said:
wvmike,
I'm scheduled to get a replacement of my receiver. I've gotten a couple of calls from a service rep in Charleston. When I first had my initial installation in December/2003 it was from Pro Star Digital from Columbus, Ohio. Still waiting on my receiver replacement.
Well i just got off the phone with VOOM.Installer is supposed to be here on fri. the 9th between 12 and 5.Wish me luck.Wonder if he will come out of Charleston.

Stargazer said:
I am a retailer from WV. I was thinking about selling Voom but see that it is exclusive to Sears and through Voom directly. I was thinking about getting the service myself but seen that they did not have much SD content plus do not have the locals (although I could just keep Dish for the locals and superstations), although some other areas do not offer locals yet, such as the Parkersburg DMA.
Stargazer i just ordered VooM and it wasnt because of Sears.I was at my local Sears 4 times and they never had it working when i was there.VooMreally needs to put this in other places where the retailer cares.Sears allways had Dish on when i was there.

Since the owners of the stores decides on what the store carries, some of them do not sell certain items, and Voom may be too expensive for them to deal with at this time, or Voom may not be popular enough for some of them to deal with it at this time.

I think Voom is wanting to keep its costs down and try to prevent from having to pay retailers a high priced commission, therefore they are probably looking for alternatives to that by selling through Sears where they probably dont have to pay much commission or sell direct and use the money that they save on advertisement, offer customer promotions, and increase profitability.

WOWK (CBS) finally mapped

Well, for anyone located around the Charleston/Huntington area, it looks like Voom mapped channel 13 (WOWK) today. I personally can't pick it up from the house with the stealth antenna, but it's good that it's added. The only main one left is WVAH (FOX) that's not mapped.

The only local channels I can pick up are WCHS and PAX. I'm waiting for them to map the last channel there, or the scan feature to be added to the boxes before I request a service call. There's no sense having someone out here adjusting it if there's no way to tell if I can receive them.

Charleston

I am in Scott depot. The mapping of the OTA channels is not good. I cannot get channel 8. The transmitter is 1.7 miles away. Plus fox 11 is not mapped, nor is NBC HD on channel 22

Perhaps your antenna isn't positioned correctly to pick up 8. I have no problem at all with it. It's everything else... and I see what you're talking about with NBC. According to antennaweb, it should be mapped to 23.1, not 3.1. Perhaps I'll be able to pick it up if they map it correctly.

Actually, now that I'm looking, antennaweb shows WOWK should be on 54.1, not 13.1.

Getting ready to Voom in Charleston

I am about ready to get voom in Charleston and would like to know about which locals I can receive via the supplied antenna. Also would like any experiences with local installer and is Voom worth switching to from cable (I am fed up with Charter not delivering any of the locals in hd) will be interested in seeing opinions.

Aren't WOWK,WPBY, WLPX, and WVAH also transmitting in digital? According to the NAB website they are up and running. With football season coming and CBS as well as Fox and ABC airing games in HD you would think the local stations would be promoting the advantage of a clearer sharper picture.

Charleston Huntington question

I am between Charleston and Huntington WV. I have a real high signal on some channels but I cannot find any ota channels when I do search. Has anybody had luck with ota's in this area?

I live in St. Albans. With my original antenna, I could pick up channel 8 (ABC). It doesn't broadcast in HD though. Channel 3 would come in only during hard rains. :confused:

I received an antenna upgrade, and the installer was able to tune in Channel 8 and 33 (local PBS - still no HD). On occasion, no real noticable weather patterns like before, I could pick up WOUB (PBS out of Athens, OH) which actually broadcast in HD. I wasn't able to pick up channel 3 anymore though. I've never been able to get 13, and FOX isn't even broadcasting digitally yet, much less HD.

Rumor has it on another forum that our local ABC & FOX stations should be HD by the end of the year.

If you request an antenna upgrade from Voom, good luck getting it installed. I've been waiting about 2 months for an omnidirectional antenna. Everything is done through Voom, and my wife's been in contact with the local installers here. When she calls, someone has already left, or they'll have to get back to us to give us an installation appointment. It's frustrating. I guess we'll get it eventually, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon. Getting her to call is like getting them to install it. I'd do it myself, but I have a weird thing about talking on the phone. :p

Oh, and to make matters worse, for some reason, we stopped getting ANY local channels about 2 weeks ago. Now I can't even watch Judge Judy anymore. :(

Oh, if you want to try to tune your antenna, here's a list of local channels and the RFs (first column) to use:

17 - WCHP - WB - 30.n
19 - WVAH-TV - FOX - 11.n (not live yet)
23 - WSAZ-TV - NBC - 3.n
27 - WOUB-TV - PBS - 20.n
34 - WPBY-TV - PBS - 33.n
39 - WLPX-TV - PAX - 29.n
41 - WCHS-TV - ABC - 8.n
44 - WTSF - IND - 61.n
47 - WOWK-TV - CBS - 13.n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)