Any way to add Sirius channels to HD Pack?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Id love to have them as an option but it does not appear you can just add them to the HD Package. Would be nice if they sold all the Sirius channels on the side like the sports pack.

I think it's stupid of Dish to not allow you to add Sirius to the HD-only packages, but I also wonder what they'd charge if they did. For $13 per month plus the cost of hardware, you could connect Sirius directly to your Onkyo and not have to have your TV sucking power to see what you were tuned to. (And get the talk channels and whatnot that Dish doesn't carry.)

If you get the home kit, does it cost extra monthly or can you just buy a home receiver and get it on your car subscription?

You pay by receiver. If you havea receiver that you can move from car to home no problem and no extra charge. If you put a second receiver in the home kit you pay extra.

Just sub to a regular programming pack at top 200/250 with hd for 10.00 more and you will get the Sirius sat channels , the sd channels and the hd equivalents in that pack. If you use dvr advantage for top 200 you would pay just 49.99 + 10.00 for hd ( silver turbo pack -after 8/1/08) and you will pay just 59.99 for everything and no dvr fee either and it includes your locals. For top 250 add 10.00 more.

The stand alone HD turbo packs are ripoffs. They will charge you more and you get less channels than a regular programming pack + the hd essentials pack. AFter 8/01/08 there will be more confusion trying to figure out the packs.

Remember this that there will be 2 ways to do Turbo packs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First is like today and the essentials pack -add hd to any programming pack for 10.00 and get the hd channels in that programming pack.

You can add any turbo pack to a regular programming pack like top 100-Bronze,200-Silver,top 250-gold or add platinum for 10.00 more and get all hd channels like in the ultimate pack today. You can also do the dvr advantage for top 100/200/250 along with these hd turbo packs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second , you can sub to JUST HD channels in those same TURBO packs and get JUST the HD channels in that pack -but NO SD channels or sirius sat channels.

Bronze 24.99/dvr advantage for 34.99
Silver 32.99/dvr advantage for 39.99
Gold 44.99/dvr advantage for 49.99
Add platinum pack for 10.00 more and receive 7 extra hd channels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But you will pay more to do this than just add the turbo hd pack to an existing programming packs at 100/200/250. You will actually pay more to get less if all you want is HD Channels. Unlike today where you only pay 29.99 to get all hd channels that they have -except premiums unless you sub to premiums.

When I went to HD ONly I also subscribed to Sirius and putched a Strata 4 with car kit and also bought a home kit. This is a big plus, that it is in the car. I just programmed my Harmony 676 to it for our day/spa room. Norm N. Nite is just starting on Sirius 5.. bye

I agree, its kinda dumb. I already have it in my car, guess Ill just buy the home kit and be done with it.

You can also get a free computer online use with a car sub and listen to it on your computer. I have connected my computer to my home theater and get great Sirius sound. The online connection does lose some channels though but is better than the Dish set of Sirius channels.

For $13 per month plus the cost of hardware, you could connect Sirius directly to your Onkyo and not have to have your TV sucking power to see what you were tuned to. (And get the talk channels and whatnot that Dish doesn't carry.)
You don't get nearly the audio quality using a Sirius receiver.

I've found myself listening to more of the non-Sirius music (7890 is cool; especially absent Shuffle).

I've never heard a Sirius receiver, but I never thought the quality on Dish was anything extraordinary.

I've never heard a Sirius receiver, but I never thought the quality on Dish was anything extraordinary.

When I went to the HD only package I just suscribed to Sirius. I use the home tuner kit through my onkyo. Sound is no better or worse than it was through Dish. Actually, like having the extra channels too... It did save me a lot of money doing it this way until the change the damn packages. :rolleyes:

For the price they are going to charge for the new HD packs they should have been able to throw in the music channels in for that price IMO.

Something tells me that Lifetime and CBS College cost Dish an arm and a leg to carry in HD or they wouldnt be raising them as much as they are.

For people who have an Onkyo, Sony or other Sirius or SAT Compatible receiver (must be SAT or Sirius compatible, not just XM compatible), you can get any recent 'universal dock' receiver and use the SCHDOC1. This lets you remote control your plug and play receiver (Sportster 3 / 4 / 5, Starmate 3 / 4, Stratus and Stratus 4, Stiletto 10/100/2) with your Home Theater tuner. Then you can still take the radio 'head' and move it to your car, boat, etc. without an extra subscription.

It's basically the best of both worlds.

Here's the manual for it -
http://www.tss-radio.com/images/SCHDOC1-installation-guide.pdf

Here's the current compatibility list for AV receivers -
http://www.tss-radio.com/images/SCH_Compatible_Products.pdf

It does have some shortcomings, namely that in the dock it disables the on-radio controls but also it disables features like game alert, song seek/artist seek, and on the Stiletto radios it disables MP3 playback, Recording and scheduling. Of course, your home theater unit doesn't support those either.. :)

I just have a regular home dock for my Stiletto 2, it's plugged into my LINE IN on my computer so I can share the speakers. Having it on Dish was cool when I had the in-car-only Sirius setup from Kenwood. I'm actually surprised how many people listen to Sirius on Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts