Any Way to Get "Big 3" Broadcast Networks, But Not "Local"?

geekboy2000

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Philly Suburbs, PA
I'm a DISH/satellite subscriber for just 3 months now, so forgive my ignorance. I do want ABC, NBC, and CBS, and currently, I have the local channels as part of my total package. But, if it's possible, I'd prefer the network feeds, as opposed to the local feeds. I'm not talking about receiving the direct feeds (if that's even still possible) without the commercials, etc, but I'd prefer to receive those channels without the local content "injected". Example: A few nights ago, a recorded broadcast on ABC turned out to be a "late breaking news story" that occurred in Philadelphia. Personally, if I wanted reality thrust in my face, I'd be watching CNN, or listening to KYW (the local all news AM radio station). I chose to record that program to get away from reality. Now, of course, I understand that if a major news event occurs, ABC (or the other networks) will interrupt programming, but it's a lot less likely to happen at a network level, than at the local station level. Trust me. Once we get our first one inch snow fall in Philly, there will be a 12 hour marathon broadcast about it. Are the plows ready? Is the Mayor ready? Will we have enough salt? Who cares? So, that's the logic/reasoning behind my question. So, is there an alternative to "region specific" network channels? Thanks!

I'm a DISH/satellite subscriber for just 3 months now, so forgive my ignorance. I do want ABC, NBC, and CBS, and currently, I have the local channels as part of my total package. But, if it's possible, I'd prefer the network feeds, as opposed to the local feeds. Thanks!

No, not legally.

DBS satellite has never offered network feeds. Those are only available to the affiliates and may not be full-time feeds.

FCC regulations recently imposed as a penalty on DISH Network forbid them from "importing" even the coastal network feeds (Distant Network Service) from New York City or L.A..

In any event, long-standing FCC regulations require that your local station give up their franchise guaranteed exclusive on you as a customer and that just isn't going to happen.

As for the injection of emergency information, this too is FCC mandated to insure that you're informed "had it been an actual emergency". Election results (feh) are another issue entirely.

Does anyone know if there has ever been any attempt to have the law changed? I know Charlie was in court to avoid the Distant Channels fiasco, but has anyone actually contacted Congress or The Senate, or whoever the powers that be, to have the law revised? I'm from NY but I'm currently in P.A. My locals are two hours away and never advertise anything from my area. I have zero intent to travel two hours to any of the current advertisers on my locals so in truth, my locals could be from Anywhere USA. Being that this is a free country and the technology is readily available, I don't see why subscribing to Distants is so forbidden. I can even see having a "must carry locals", to make the local situations happy plus having the ability to have more.

Thanks to all the responders. I'd probably be better off getting a roof-top antenna and pointing it toward New York. It's a safe bet that WABC's idea of an "important story", is likely to be far more realistic than WPVI's.

Being that this is a free country and the technology is readily available, I don't see why subscribing to Distants is so forbidden.
Look up and carefully study the concept of a franchise. This will lead you to the answer.

Regulated monopolies are based entirely on the concept of the franchise.

You can look into NPS, they offer san francisco & atlanta.

If you have an RV you may qualify to receive those channels if you fill out an RV waiver.

That way if your locals are busy reporting about the snow you can watch the Atlanta feed.

Just a thought

I'm a DISH/satellite subscriber for just 3 months now, so forgive my ignorance. I do want ABC, NBC, and CBS, and currently, I have the local channels as part of my total package. But, if it's possible, I'd prefer the network feeds, as opposed to the local feeds. I'm not talking about receiving the direct feeds (if that's even still possible) without the commercials, etc, but I'd prefer to receive those channels without the local content "injected". Example: A few nights ago, a recorded broadcast on ABC turned out to be a "late breaking news story" that occurred in Philadelphia. Personally, if I wanted reality thrust in my face, I'd be watching CNN, or listening to KYW (the local all news AM radio station). I chose to record that program to get away from reality. Now, of course, I understand that if a major news event occurs, ABC (or the other networks) will interrupt programming, but it's a lot less likely to happen at a network level, than at the local station level. Trust me. Once we get our first one inch snow fall in Philly, there will be a 12 hour marathon broadcast about it. Are the plows ready? Is the Mayor ready? Will we have enough salt? Who cares? So, that's the logic/reasoning behind my question. So, is there an alternative to "region specific" network channels? Thanks!

There's always moving but you'll still end up with local injections too.

There will be local injections no matter what. I suggest the San Francisco and Atlanta feeds. You might want to get one of your local networks a la carte just so you can stay on top of things if you'd like in regards to weather but, other than that, I'd go with AAD and pick up one of the CW networks in the superstations package and WWOR. WWOR is the only MyNetwork station in the superstations bundle.

This is why I had C-Band for soooooooo many years before going to dish. The bad thing was, so many of the networks went to a digital feed that my old digital reciever wouldn't support :( Sad thing is, i live in an area not completly covered by either neighboring market. Maryland tv stations are closer than our VA stations. Before our VA stations were carried by Dish, we use to have to get 2 waivers per network, one from VA (which they usually granted because of distance) and one from MD, which wouldn't grant because we could recieve their signal.... An out of state station, which covered nothing in our locality, telling me I couldn't spend my money on the stations I wanted to watch:mad:

Sorry,
Rob

Cbs Nbc And Abc Networks Feed Fta ?

I LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE i GET NO LOCAL NETWORKS OVER THE AIR. I AM NEW TO FTA AND SO FAR I AM AMAZED AT HOW MANY PROGRAMS I CAN GET. I HAVE SOME PACKAGES FROM THE PROGRAMMING CENTER AND THE QUALITY BLOWS MY DISH NETWORK AWAY. THE DISH DOES NOT WORK IN STORMS, AND THE HD IS TERRIBLE. I AM PLANNING ON CANCELLING THE DNETWORK.
I TRIED TO ORDER THE DENVER NETWORKS PACKAGE AND I WAS TOLD ONLY IF I COULD PROVE I HAD THEM IN THE PAST AND WAS GRANDFATHERED IN.
i LIVE IN THE SIERRA NEVADA FOOTHILLS IN CA AND CAN NOT GET THE LOCALS CBS, NBC, OR ABC STATIONS.
I AM A BROADCAST ENGINEER AND WILL TRY TO GET THE WAIVER LETTERS FROM MY LOCAL STATIONS.
IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET THE NETWORK FEEDS ON THE FTA I AM NOT AWARE OF? :confused:

I TRIED TO ORDER THE DENVER NETWORKS PACKAGE AND I WAS TOLD ONLY IF I COULD PROVE I HAD THEM IN THE PAST AND WAS GRANDFATHERED IN.
Those are the terms and I would hope that a broadcast engineer would be intimately familiar with the rules.
IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET THE NETWORK FEEDS ON THE FTA I AM NOT AWARE OF? :confused:
LIL are not available via FTA satellite. You might be able to get something from NPS (with DISH Network equipment) or DIRECTV with a waiver.

It would be considered friendly and consistent with netiquette if you would lose the caps lock.

You can look into NPS, they offer san francisco & atlanta.

If you have an RV you may qualify to receive those channels if you fill out an RV waiver.

That way if your locals are busy reporting about the snow you can watch the Atlanta feed.

Just a thought

The original poster said he was considering putting up an OTA to get the NYC affliates. Funny thing is that is basically what NPS did to deliver the Atlanta and San Fran. feeds and the picture quality was just terrible. As a long term distant network LEGAL subscriber, the final nail in Dish's coffin was when I lost NYC and LA nets and was given that garbage from NPS. Picture fade, audio drop outs, black screen caused this long time subscriber to tell charlie to shove it. As you all will recall it was Charlie and Charlie alone that refused to comply with the law that caused the Court to rule that Dish could not offer DNS to ANYONE under ANY condtions. Nice job Mr. Hold-em and Fold-em.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts